Shadows of Self Chapter 5

WeiryWriter

That was the first thing I thought of.

While it could be,

• She says it is the "spirit" of her dead brother.
  • She began to act erratically. A kandra manipulating someone shouldn't cause that reaction. Ruin, however...
  • All kandra are under Harmony's control on Scadrial, and this does not fit Harmony's style.

So I don't think it's a kandra.

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but we've seen Idashwy in Chapter 1.

Ah yes. Slender, golden hair, shy and didn’t speak much. I didn’t know she was a Feruchemist.

“Aren’t you frightened, Winsting?” asked the woman on Dowser’s arm.

Winsting frowned. He didn’t recognize her. Slender, with short golden hair and a doe-eyed expression, she was uncommonly tall.

At least we now know she seemed to be there voluntarily, and it's not like someone was using her hemalurgically-stolen powers.

Edited by Havoc

Oh well obviously that's just Ruin being all Ruinous... but wait....  :huh:

Odium being Odius?

• All kandra are under Harmony's control on Scadrial.

If you suddenly saw what could only be the spirit of a dead loved one, wouldn't you start acting erratically?  I seem to remember something about rogue kandra, but don't know where it is right now...

IIRC The Adventure game mentioned Rogue Kandra that had forsworn the first contract.

If you suddenly saw what could only be the spirit of a dead loved one, wouldn't you start acting erratically?  I seem to remember something about rogue kandra, but don't know where it is right now...

I might be a little weird seeing someone dead come back to life, but there's a gigantic jump from "seeing dead loved one" to "therefore work for an organization that kidnaps women for possible Hemalurgical purposes". It certainly wouldn't turn me into a killer. (I mean, unless you want to pull a Hamlet...)

There's also a billion questions that such a situation would demand be answered. Can other people see you? Can you reliably detail events from before you died? This Feruchemist didn't do any of that, it seems, which implies mental manipulation ala Ruin.

I'm just not sold on the kandra theory, here. It's possible, but doesn't feel right. I can't really argue against it any more than that.

Emotional Allomancy can control Hemalurgic constructs." Assuming Hemalurgy was not changed when Sazes re-made everything, I agree it sounds plausible that Idashwy (love it!) could have been spiked and is being nudged by an emotional allomancer.   The only reason I don't 100% think that is true is the visions. Emotional Allomancy does not create hallucinations, maybe it is a combination of a Khandra that has gone wrong, or been taken over by emotional Allomancy? But the Hemalurgy theory would make Marsh's words in his diary no longer true "Hemalurgy is good now, I figure. Saze is both sides now, right? Ruin isn’t around anymore."  We don't really have enough info yet, maybe her brother is not really dead?  This made me think back to  (and perhaps this is in another thread) when Wax was chasing Marks he thought that he saw Bloody Tan, could there be new magic on Scadrial? Or is suffering from PTSD...

Insane theory incoming: I have a theory that (Minor Stormlight spoilers)

Hoids story telling illusions

is caused by hacking emotional allomancy to trick the senses rather than emotions. This could be the same thing going on. Maybe it is brassatium or zincatium.

Odium being Odius?

If the response to the Letter can be trusted, Odium is trapped in the Rosharan System.  

This 'dead brother' could be a kandra.  Perhaps Idashwy was starting to get involved in bad stuff, and a kandra was sent to try to talk her out of it.  

Or he could actually be her brother, who had just disappeared and hadn't died after all.  But with all the crazy possibilities that could happen, I think that would be disappointing.  

That would be very interesting if it was a cognitive entity.  Perhaps Kelsier, perhaps the splinter of Harmony's excess Ruin (but I think it's hanging out on Threnody.  Also, it doesn't necessarily exist.  Complete speculation.), or what if it was the cognitive shadow of somebody else?  Maybe Rashek hanged around after he died too.  

• Chaos locked this topic