Gold Feruchemy and illnesses

Fallen Rope

Why does storing health make you ill, does it make you further from the idea of health so you get symptoms of being ill, or does it weaken your immune system, so you get ill from a normal illness. If it is a normal illness I can see bloodmakers in the modern era just taking antibiotics to not get ill.

Another theory about the modern day trilogy and gold, a bloodmaker could be given a deadly disease, tap a lot of gold to strengthen the immune system so that the body can create antibodies, the antibodies could then be extracted and given to a normal person suffering from the disease to cure them. 

I was also wondering if gold can cure illnesses, or just remove the symptoms. If it can cure illnesses then bloodmakers can spend less time being ill than normal people, just store for a week, then when you get a cold or virus you could just tap for a few hours and you will be cured, saving you more than a week of being ill.

I think it's safe to assume that storing health does indeed weaken your immune system.  Every bug flying around immediately starts invading.  And taking antibiotics for a bacterial infection is all good and well, but that would do absolutely nothing for viral infections.  What you're suggesting sounds like a recipe for fast-cooked superbugs.

We don't know enough about the limits of gold to know whether tapping can, say, provide a cure for bubonic plague.  I think a project like that would be a lot safer when using a Compounder rather than a regular Bloodmaker.  What if it's not enough and you run out of stored health before you kick the bug?

The immune systems of those in areas like hospitals tend to become stronger. For example (and I am not 100% sure of this anecdote) doctors and nurses will often end up with superior immune systems and end up sick just about as often as a normal person despite spending a lot more time in a place where bugs are flying around.

Would a similar effect happen with Feruchemical gold? You store, say, 20% of your gold, and then just wait. Does your immune system compensate? If so, storing Feruchemical gold might not be so bad.

This brings me to: Does a person with better immunity have more to store? They should, right? Just like how a heavier person will be able to fill their iron minds faster, a person with more muscle would be faster storing their pewterminds and so on.

As for the limits, I cant find the WoB, but apparently a goldmind could heal a shardwound.

filling a goldmind may weaken your immune system, but it certainly causes you to display symptoms of illness even if you have no viruses at all.

consider: a virus or bacteria, once it enters the organism, have a time window before you realize you have it. that's because it must replicate for a while before it starts to deal significant damage. instead, filling a goldmind causes you to fall ill immediately. impossible if it is only caused by external factors.

Would a similar effect happen with Feruchemical gold? You store, say, 20% of your gold, and then just wait. Does your immune system compensate? If so, storing Feruchemical gold might not be so bad.

I don't think so, if this is true that would be true also for other metal-attribute. As example Strenght, while you are weak any effort is more intense and must push your body more, like a better training.

This brings me to: Does a person with better immunity have more to store? They should, right? Just like how a heavier person will be able to fill their iron minds faster, a person with more muscle would be faster storing their pewterminds and so on.

It should work in that way, the strange thing about the goldmind is that you story something and then you can access to something else from the goldmind.

Probably we are always mininterpreted what is stored inside a Goldmind.

We know that the Feruchemical's (and Other Investiture) Healing is a Cognitive Ability based on the user's mental-image.

Theory:

It could be possible that the the Goldmind doesn't anything "biologically" but stores instead the "power that mantain your body synchronized with your own Mental-Image ? When that power decreases your body began to work worst, but when it's power is above the average, the body could return more easily to the optimum state.

I don't think so, if this is true that would be true also for other metal-attribute. As example Strenght, while you are weak any effort is more intense and must push your body more, like a better training.

I believe, but I am not 100% sure, that there's a WoB confirming that you can store strength in a pewtermind and exercise your way back up to your old regular strength. I was unable to find it, maybe someone else knows whether my memory is wrong?

filling a goldmind may weaken your immune system, but it certainly causes you to display symptoms of illness even if you have no viruses at all.

consider: a virus or bacteria, once it enters the organism, have a time window before you realize you have it. that's because it must replicate for a while before it starts to deal significant damage. instead, filling a goldmind causes you to fall ill immediately. impossible if it is only caused by external factors.

Building on that, if storing gold would work by you actually getting sick then the negative effects of storing (the viruses and bacteria that are now in your body) would persist after you are no longer storing, creating more pay in form of sickness than you actually stored, messing with the systems inherent balance.

I believe, but I am not 100% sure, that there's a WoB confirming that you can store strength in a pewtermind and exercise your way back up to your old regular strength. I was unable to find it, maybe someone else knows whether my memory is wrong?

Maybe that's the feruchemical equivalent of savanthood? There should probably be some limit to how much a person can train back, just so they can't raise their stats to infinity but I could see it happen to some degree.

I missed it. So the Feruchemy became the dream of every bodybuilder of the world XD

Which brings up a good question. If storing abd tapping uses percentages, does the storing rate readjust to match your new level of strength/health/whatever?

No I say quite surely No.

You store your attribute and then you retrive your stored attribute. At any moment you store a percentage of your current attributes.

To say, if I store 50% of my strenght when my body is deeply tired, I put in my metalmind half of my current (limited) strenght 

there is nothing mystical in that. feruchemy lets you store an attribute you already have. the more you have, the more you can store. say, a normal person can lift 50 kg over their head, they can store the ability to lift 30 kg, they lift 20 kg. a body builder may be able to lift 100 kilos, he may store the capability to lift 40 kilos, he's storing more than the normal guy and he's still stronger than the normal guy would be without storing. same would go for all other traits.

walking around storing strength would be akin to what some people do of strapping weigths to themselves to make more effort. your muscles have to do more effort, so you will excercice more. so yes, it would be a perfectly viable bodybuilding strategy to store more instead of using more weigth.

although I'd say pewter feruchemy is more the dream of sedentary people than bodybuilder. Being sedentary reduces your muscles because you don't use them at their full extent. if you are sedentary and store stregth to the point that you have to put effort even to stay in bed, then you won't get reduced musces for it. annd you get to store a lot.

No I say quite surely No.

You store your attribute and then you retrive your stored attribute. At any moment you store a percentage of your current attributes.

To say, if I store 50% of my strenght when my body is deeply tired, I put in my metalmind half of my current (limited) strenght

That . . . doesn't really answer the question though.

Let's say I store 30% weight like wax nonstop. Then I gain weight due to eating too many donuts. Assume I am wakefulness compounding so that I never stop to sleep. My entire life is one massive storing run.

So by the end, am I storing 30% of my weight from before, or 30% of my new weight?

Edited by natc

That . . . doesn't really answer the question though.

Let's say I store 30% weight like wax nonstop. Then I gain weight due to eating too many donuts. Assume I am wakefulness compounding so that I never stop to sleep. My entire life is one massive storing run.

So by the end, am I storing 30% of my weight from before, or 30% of my new weight?

You use the percentages and then forget to remember that parcentage are finite quintities (is just more simple to think about them in multipler form).

In your example (of weight) you always store some part of your weight, where X is your initial weight:

Every second you store ant quantity of weight of 0.3*x Kg/s in your ironmind. Then you began to put on weight and while your weight is X+1, your metalmind is fiilling at the rate of 0.3*(X+1)Kg/s but nothing has changed to the previous Feruchemical charge (stored vhen you are slimmer). In the end you came at X+2 and your storing rate became 0.3*(X+2) Kg/s.

When after Z time, you don't store anymore in your metalmind and check about the Feruchemical Charge. You find that the Ironmind contains a quantity of Weight Y. Where 0.3*X*Z<Y<0.3*(X+2)*Z the exact charge depends on the amount of time you spend with a certain weight while storing it.

For example if you spent the same time Z at X kg, X+1 Kg and X+2 Kg. At the end you have a charge of 0.3*(X+1)*Z Kg/s.

You use the percentages and then forget to remember that parcentage are finite quintities (is just more simple to think about them in multipler form).

In your example (of weight) you always store some part of your weight, where X is your initial weight:

Every second you store ant quantity of weight of 0.3*x Kg/s in your ironmind. Then you began to put on weight and while your weight is X+1, your metalmind is fiilling at the rate of 0.3*(X+1)Kg/s but nothing has changed to the previous Feruchemical charge (stored vhen you are slimmer). In the end you came at X+2 and your storing rate became 0.3*(X+2) Kg/s.

When after Z time, you don't store anymore in your metalmind and check about the Feruchemical Charge. You find that the Ironmind contains a quantity of Weight Y. Where 0.3*X*Z<Y<0.3*(X+2)*Z the exact charge depends on the amount of time you spend with a certain weight while storing it.

For example if you spent the same time Z at X kg, X+1 Kg and X+2 Kg. At the end you have a charge of 0.3*(X+1)*Z Kg/s.

you could say that your stored mass is equal to

t=0t=z 0.3*M dt

:ph34r:

So much maths for such a simplistic question.

I couldn't care less about the actual metalmind content, I didn't even mention what's in there. All I asked was "is the amount missing from storing the charge a constant flat amount based on the initial value, or is it instead fixed to the percentage, with the actual amount fluctuating?"

Which you finally answered, albeit in a roundabout way while trying to answer some other question that nobody asked.

So much maths for such a simplistic question.

I couldn't care less about the actual metalmind content, I didn't even mention what's in there. All I asked was "is the amount missing from storing the charge a constant flat amount based on the initial value, or is it instead fixed to the percentage, with the actual amount fluctuating?"

Which you finally answered, albeit in a roundabout way while trying to answer some other question that nobody asked.

Sorry man, was early morning and for me was more simple to use an example (with math) than exaplain with words.

Sorry man, was early morning and for me was more simple to use an example (with math) than exaplain with words.

I, for one, appreciate the completeness of the answer, in case others out there wondered. There are times it's possible to over-explain an answer, of course, but a few extra lines to provide foundational math were warranted in this case, in one man's opinion.

• Chaos locked this topic