Theory - Spoillers (with capital S) - The Secret of Gavilar Murder - The Black Gem

Natans

I thought it was one of the beads from Shadesmar like what Shallan touched to change her Goblet to blood.

As far as I am aware, those do not give of Black Light, nor do I think it is even possible to bring them back into the Physical Realm as an orb.

Edited by Aether

Aether, I think it is safe to say that we are very far from knowing what is possible at this point in the series. Also, the appearance of things seem to be flipped in shadesmar, so what we saw as dun there could easily be glowing in the physical realm.

Going back and rereading the OP, I love this (the OP) theory. The idea of parshendi becoming void-ish by bonding with corrupted or Odium spren (either forcefully or by mistake) is very compelling to me. It just feels right, and fits well with the parshendi seeming very scared/desperate. My guess is that those who took the slave form, did so to prevent themselves from accidentally bonding with corrupted spren again. (If you have no freedom to choose, you can't choose poorly, amirite?)

Aether, I think it is safe to say that we are very far from knowing what is possible at this point in the series. Also, the appearance of things seem to be flipped in shadesmar, so what we saw as dun there could easily be glowing in the physical realm.

Going back and rereading the OP, I love this (the OP) theory. The idea of parshendi becoming void-ish by bonding with corrupted or Odium spren (either forcefully or by mistake) is very compelling to me. It just feels right, and fits well with the parshendi seeming very scared/desperate. My guess is that those who took the slave form, did so to prevent themselves from accidentally bonding with corrupted spren again. (If you have no freedom to choose, you can't choose poorly, amirite?)

I too, am a fan of this theory. I am merely pointing out that I find it unlikely that the Black Sphere is an orb from the Cognitive Realm. You are right, we are at the very beginning of the series and lack sufficient evidence to believe most things certain, but it is still possible to talk about what is more or less likely:

1. The Black Sphere does not match the description of a "Cognitive Orb".
  2.  Current information suggests that it is extremely difficult to transit things betwixt the Realms (at least to get things of the Cognitive Realm into the Physical one - see Lift Interlude).
  3. Considering what we know of fabrial, it seems more likely that the Sphere contains some sort of Spren, likely a corrupted one (WoR spoiler inc.)

which we know exists from the new Dalinar vision.

I might be wrong about the Sphere not being of the Cognitive Realm, but I think it likely that I am not.

• Chaos locked this topic