I just finished Words of Radiance. I am running up the walls at wanting a new book.

LordSnuggleBeardIV

Though I HATE the alternate ending Brandon created. Don't want to derail the thread, but I have to put that in there!

I am curious, hypothetically speaking, would you be willing to change your mind? Obviously sometimes people feel however they feel, and that's that, but other times there is a reason for such strong emotions, and understanding and addressing that reason can at mitigate the response. 

Not that I am going to stick my nose in your business either way, I am just curious why so many people loudly proclaim they hate something I feel Brandon has explained and justified so well.

I am curious, hypothetically speaking, would you be willing to change your mind? Obviously sometimes people feel however they feel, and that's that, but other times there is a reason for such strong emotions, and understanding and addressing that reason can at mitigate the response.

Not that I am going to stick my nose in your business either way, I am just curious why so many people loudly proclaim they hate something I feel Brandon has explained and justified so well.

It is mostly because Brandon felt killing Szeth was a regression in Kaladin's character development, even when he only intended the blow to be a feint and Szeth refused to parry it.

Yet in the new ending, Kaladin didn't kill Szeth with Syl, but let him fall hundreds of feet with no stormlight, wich made it fell forced when he refused to aknowledge that Szeth was certainly dead and he killed him.

That's not how I read it. The impression I got was that Kaladin was waiting to see what Szeth would do, and Szeth just let himself go into the storm. In the original ending it was Kaladin who decided to end Szeth's life; in the revised ending, it's Szeth deciding to give up.

That's not how I read it. The impression I got was that Kaladin was waiting to see what Szeth would do, and Szeth just let himself go into the storm. In the original ending it was Kaladin who decided to end Szeth's life; in the revised ending, it's Szeth deciding to give up.

Except he never really decided anything in the original ending. He did a feint that could be easily parried by someone as skilled as Szeth, who decided to not parry it and let himself die, something that happened to fast for Kaladin to stop or change his motion.

As someone else who truly dislikes the new ending, a large part of it is because I had issues with the climax overall that were not addressed. So, I see that changes were made that seem to make the whole thing worse in terms of character development for both Kaladin and Szeth, without fixing any of the problems i actually had.

I'll just leave it at that, as i try not to diminish other people's enjoyment of something, especially if i enjoyed it, too... except for when discussing things we didn't like about something we enjoyed is the entire point ☺

As someone else who truly dislikes the new ending, a large part of it is because I had issues with the climax overall that were not addressed. So, I see that changes were made that seem to make the whole thing worse in terms of character development for both Kaladin and Szeth, without fixing any of the problems i actually had.

I'll just leave it at that, as i try not to diminish other people's enjoyment of something, especially if i enjoyed it, too... except for when discussing things we didn't like about something we enjoyed is the entire point ☺

I am curious to read your reasons for disliking the original climax. I am not overly found of the last fight as well, though perhaps not for the same reasons. I am partial to the change.

How about you PM me? We can argue the issue one-on-one.

I don't think there is much good that can come out of that. If you want to be convinced that the new ending is better, maybe I can marshal some convincing argument, but you have to want it. Otherwise we'll both be just shouting our opinions at each other.

Should you care, here's a list of all the reason I have seen for why people dislike the new ending, some of which I agree with and some that didn't really bother me.

For one there's the fact that there has been a retcon in the first place, which comes with a magnitude of reasons in and of itself, ranging from it potentially hurting the trust between author and reader, alienating the readers that prefered the old ending by making them feel that their prefered ending is inferior (or in case they bought a physical copy that this one is now "wrong"), confusing readers that don't follow him well enough to learn about the retcon and good old bias through anchoring to name a few.

Then there's Brandon's reasons. First, the killing someone that surrendered bit, which as others have pointed out doesn't really carry weight because Kaladin didn't know that Szeth gave up, so he didn't really have a reason to suddenly stop fighting him and it's not like he didn't kill before. Second, and let me quote this from the AMA

But what pushed me over the edge to change was the sense that I was pulling too many fast ones on the reader with people coming back to life. I wanted it clear to readers that Szeth was not dead, so this scene wasn't a fake out, which would weaken Jasnah's arrival later.

This one doesn't fly for me, because there is no way that Szeth could have survived that fall without Stormlight (actually how was there a body with an intact brain left for Nin to resurect in the first place?)

Other miscallanous reasons: The plot rails showing, Syl ordering Kaladin instead of just acting as his conscience, the first one being more awesome, Kaladin ultimately letting a man die(still killing him in a way) for a Shard and if Kaladin should approve of suicide in any form.

Again, I don't agree with all of these reasons but some people do, so there's that.

I don't think there is much good that can come out of that. If you want to be convinced that the new ending is better, maybe I can marshal some convincing argument, but you have to want it. Otherwise we'll both be just shouting our opinions at each other.

I feel the same as Argent. I feel compelled to tell someone of my opinion of the two different endings, but feel it would serve no purpose, especially as people seem to have powerful emotions regarding it.

It's not really convincing about me convincing you guys or the other way around. I just want a good debate and someone to rant to.

EDIT: Could someone actually post a link to the alternate ending? It's been a while since I read it.

Edited by The Potato

I had the misfortune of becoming clinically addicted to SA the day Way of Kings came out. I have endured a four year wait for Words of Radiance but this two year wait seems even harder, began reading it aka Michael Kramer began reading it the day it came out, wait a year then come talk about climbing the walls.... :mellow:  :mellow:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Hahaha that alternate ending though??? I have reread WOR so many times i always think the original version rather than the newer ending ...Don't mean to sound ungrateful but i preferred the original ending...I cant even remember how the newer version ends my mind keeps editing it with the original ending..

Edited by WEZ313

*Drum-pun-sound-because-I-don't-know-how-to-write-it-out*

Back on the original topic: Someone should really start a thread simply for SA 3 speculation.

Also, my brother (who has read WoR) has this weird thing where he thinks Lift will die. Please help me convince him of the error of his ways.

*Drum-pun-sound-because-I-don't-know-how-to-write-it-out*

Back on the original topic: Someone should really start a thread simply for SA 3 speculation.

Also, my brother (who has read WoR) has this weird thing where he thinks Lift will die. Please help me convince him of the error of his ways.

There was one, once upon a time...

• 3 weeks later...