Division Surge

Patrick Star

So, I had an idea for a possible mechanic for the division surge.  According to the Ars Arcaneum, the division surge governs destruction and decay.

I'm thinking that a possible application of the surge is to rapidly accelerate time for the infused object, which would cause it to decay.  Basically, it would be like that scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade with the holy grail.

Now, there may be a second application related to destruction (like how windrunners have multiple lashings), but I think that the decay aspect may be governed by this manipulation of time.

Interesting. That would be a pretty cool ability, but I don't think it fits with being called division. I would call that like entropy or something. Division to me sounds like something that breaks things apart, like the opposite of adhesion sticking things together. I think Division sounds rather more violent than decay.

Hard to say. I like it, especially as it fits the name of Dustbringers (not so much Releasers though, unless you 'release the agreement between friends' as Syl phrases it) but I think their powers of this Order are more intertwined than the other Orders.

EDIT: On giving it more thought, Releasers could use Abrasion to excite the molecules, causing the bonds to become strained with the excess energy then use Division to free those bonds, causing the bonds to break/explode. (Granted, this isn't how chemical bonds work, but I like to kayana sometimes) 

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Interesting. That would be a pretty cool ability, but I don't think it fits with being called division. I would call that like entropy or something. Division to me sounds like something that breaks things apart, like the opposite of adhesion sticking things together. I think Division sounds rather more violent than decay.

I'm more referring to the "decay" aspect of the division surge.  It also covers destruction, which DEFINITELY sounds like breaking things apart.  I was thinking about how the surge could cause objects to decay, and this clip reminded me of that.

And yes, the actual decay would come from increasing entropy brought on by the rapid passage of time.

It's literally called the Surge of Destruction and Decay though, isn't it?

Besides, Adhesion as a surge functions by manipulating atmospheric pressure to cause things to get stuck instead of anything to do with adhesive properties, and Illumination can both produce sound and total darkness.

Edited by natc

My problem with the Division Surge are: All my interpretations of this surge is similar to other Surges.

- If it breaks the molecular bound is quite similar to the Trasformation but without flexibility and cognitive issues.

- if it weaks a structure, is quite similar to my interpretation of Tension.

I have a better idea for the destruction aspect of the surge (sadly, I don't think this'll be what actually happens):

This is probably the combination of Abrasion and Division, like the Duskbringers do ;-)

Edited by Yata

This is probably the combination of Abrasion and Division, like the Duskbringers do ;-)

I hope so!  Should make book 5 quite an... explosive finale.  It'll be a bombardment of revelations, with megatons of new information being dropped for the second arc.  Hopefully we won't have to sulfur through periods with no action.

I can drop these puns all day :P

• Chaos locked this topic