Intro/Warbreaker question

nightblood

Hi,

My name is Ari. I've been a huge sanderson fan for about 5 years now especially loved way of kings and warbreaker. I also thought that rithmatist and steelheart were pretty cool. Anyway one question I have about warbreaker is that hoid tells siri about where he learned his style storytelling he replies "I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn't know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where to lands meet and gods have died". Do we know who and where hoid is talking about?

Welcome. I can already tell I'm going to like you. You show up and ask the second most important question we don't know the answer to. "]

There are a few hints though, though they aren't canonical as they point to things which aren't published, but I will post links to.

One theory here is that he is talking about his master, whose name was Hoid (Hoid's name wasn't Hoid at the time.) Another theory is that he is speaking of himself, about a time when he didn't know who he was and taught himself to tell stories in the grand style he seems fond of.

Here are a couple links to pieces from a book which talks about Hoid's back story before he began hopping between the Shardworlds most of Brandon's books take place on.

Note: These are not-canonical because they are not published and are subject to change. Brandon doesn't like the way Liar turned out. He tried a different method of writing than he was used to and the end result wasn't his best work.

Original Opening

Drafted Version

I read the dragonsteel stuff very cool. I actually want to ask a few other questions.

1. what is the number 1 most important question? Is it who is the letter written to in way of kings?

2. A follow up on my first question. Hoid tells the warbreaker story using colors which is an integral part of the magic there. Can this somehow imply that music is important in the roshar magic system since he uses an instrument when he tells his story to Kaladin. Is there any evidence to support this?

I just a got a call from my husband. I told him to ask "If the recepient of Hoid's Letter in Way of Kings is a Dragon?". I really expected Sanderson to RAFO it, but instead he confirmed it!! Apparently he said that no one has ever asked him that before and that it was right on the money and from an unpublished book (Dragonsteel, I'm sure). Assuming the hubby asked correctly, that confirms both that the recipient is a Dragon and Hoid is the writer. Great catch!!!

Well, this answers one of your questions (sort of). This is from the tor Wok reread comments. I don't know if it has been posted anywhere else yet.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/08/the-way-of-kings-reread-epigraphs-to-part-two

Interesting thought on Hoid's storytelling. I think its more likely that his (probable) use of Lightweaving gives it a connection to Rosharin magic, but maybe you're on to something.

Edit: Just realized your weren't actually asking who received the letter...Oops.

Edited by Serendipity

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is Ari. I've been a huge sanderson fan for about 5 years now especially loved way of kings and warbreaker. I also thought that rithmatist and steelheart were pretty cool. Anyway one question I have about warbreaker is that hoid tells siri about where he learned his style storytelling he replies "I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn't know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where to lands meet and gods have died". Do we know who and where hoid is talking about?

I haven't read all of Brandon's books yet, but this sounds an aweful lot like Scadrial.  Sazed didn't know who he was. The two lands are the north and south poles.  And, of course, two gods died.  Any thoughts?

• Chaos locked this topic