brandonsanderson.com site redesign

The new site looks really great. Clean and easy to navigate.

The progress tracker seems to break layout at my resolution (960x1080). This is just a 1080p screen with two windows side by side, so I expect it's a common enough layout.

Here's what it looks like on my computer: http://i.imgur.com/bLoyuyv.png

Edited by Havoc

My first impression is good. It's much better to read than the old one though this is a bit contradicted by the pictures in the background of the upcoming events (the events are not easy to read). And there is a little typo on the library-page "... annotations ... unnavailable" 

I'm glad that it's black on white now and that the font changed. And, as Havoc said, it's easy to navigate. 

I like the look of it.  Very up to date and attractive.  I especially like the header which (I assume) highlights the up-and-coming or most recent release.  It would be nice if there was more direct links to the annotations and such (rather than a link to the page with all the links) or that the annotations and such content was likewise updated to the new format.

I agree that it is significantly better. The old one was not as visually attractive and was not very convenient on mobile. I always felt the old site kind of degraded Brandon, like "He's this great author, but his site is kind of terrible." It feels much more appropriate and deserving now.

Will the site "skin" change over time?  Or are we Steelheart themed until the whole website is replaced from the ground up again?  It's very neat and all, and I'm excited for the book, but it's not what I identify Sanderson with.  So I'm hoping it's not remaining Steelheart until the end of time.

Edited by Pechvarry

Nice, it links to 17th Shard off the main page! It's at the bottom of that content bar on the right.

Has it always done that, or is it new?

The forum link on the main page has gone here for some time, but this is certainly prettier :) I love the rollover effect.

Will the site "skin" change over time?  Or are we Steelheart themed until the whole website is replaced from the ground up again?  It's very neat and all, and I'm excited for the book, but it's not what I identify Sanderson with.  So I'm hoping it's not remaining Steelheart until the end of time.

It will indeed change, thankfully.

I do think that's a smart decision, too, because then it advertises the next book to come out.

The site overall is much better to navigate, especially now that I can use it on my phone. Overall, massive improvement. Good work!!

EDIT: Wow, the new store is excellent. Seriously, good job.

Edited by Chaos

By myopes, do you mean shortsighted people, Meg? Because I am that. Brandon's site is OK, though (oops, it seems to be down at the moment)(and, it is up again. huh). Though I have noticed a disturbing trend in design recently (ios 7, windows 8) with flatter stuff that for me tend to blur and disappear as  I move my eyes :( But not on his site, mostly :)

By myopes, do you mean shortsighted people, Meg? Because I am that. Brandon's site is OK, though (oops, it seems to be down at the moment)(and, it is up again. huh). Though I have noticed a disturbing trend in design recently (ios 7, windows 8) with flatter stuff that for me tend to blur and disappear as  I move my eyes :( But not on his site, mostly :)

Yes, I mean shortsighted.  Dict.cc told me "myopes" when I asked. The new site, as I  said before, is mostly much, much better to read than the mysterious old site (yes it had an own flair).

I hadn't had the experience with flatter stuff yet (fortunately), but everywhere where is a not-uni-colored background, I have problems.

As for the font: In Opera it's shown as arial, in Firefox it's something else.

Out of curiosity, was I the only one who got wicked excited when I saw "Way of Kings Annotations" as a link on the WoK book page and was really disappointed when the link brought me back to the main page?

I really hope Brandon does the Words of Radiance Annotations during the copyedit like he normally does.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

• Chaos locked this topic