Elsecallers, Lightweavers, and Willshapers

the winter system

Accoarding to the epigraph of Page 617 (Chapter 53, Perfection), i says that:

As to the other orders that were inferior in this visiting of the far realm of spren, the Elsecallers were prodigiously benevolent, allowing others as auxiliary to their visits and interactions; though they did never relinquish their place as prime liaisons with the great ones of the spren; and the Lightweavers and Willshapers both also had an affinity to the same, though neither were the true masters of that realm

- From Words of Radiance, chapter 6, page 2

(note the citation in the quote is the in world citation.) 

Emphasis mine. 

Now, in the diagram, you see that the only Surges which it's mentioned have 'an affinity' to let others visit Shadesmar are the ones said above. 

UHG8Rey.jpg

I believe that Transformation and Transportation are the only Surges that allow the Radiants to travel to Shadesmar. The reason that Elsecallers were 'prime liaisons with the great ones of the spren' I believe is because both of the Surges that allow access to Shademsar are the ones which the Elsecallers had. I also believe that, although each Surge has two different orders which can access it, that the different Orders go through it different ways. Because each order has a different set of ideals, the combination of the Surges changes the others. (This last bit is speculation, though)

Okay, this is probably just a restating of things, but I figured, might as well state it.  

I wouldn't say that these two surges are the only acess to shadesmar, since I believe the nahel bond naturaly deepens the Radiant's connection to the cognitive realm, even in a lesser and more subtle extent than it does to a spren's physical presence, as demonstrated by Kaladin peering into shadesmar before learning how to perform a basic lashing. I believe that a full Radiant can physically enter shadesmar in the right circunstances, perhaps throught some kind of ritual, but only those with Transportation or Transformation can do it in a controlled, relatively safe, fashion.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Kaladin was able to get a glimpse into the cognitive realm when he first lashed himself to the chasm wall.  Perhaps if he could train himself to enter whatever mental state he was in at the time he could maintain that connection.

Edit : This isn't to say I think he could transfer himself over.  Just that he might possibly be able to maintain the perception that he briefly achieved.

Edited by Arondell

Maybe Kalading was getting a glimpse into the Spiritual Realm? I remember something about "Clouds in the shape of a tunnel to the sun," which I don't remember in Shadesmar.

Every time Shadesmar has been seen in the books the strange clouds are mentioned, described as running in straight lines toward the horizon, like roads in the sky.

Kaladin was able to get a glimpse into the cognitive realm when he first lashed himself to the chasm wall.  Perhaps if he could train himself to enter whatever mental state he was in at the time he could maintain that connection.

Edit : This isn't to say I think he could transfer himself over.  Just that he might possibly be able to maintain the perception that he briefly achieved.

Which book does he see that? I don't really remember it and I've been rereading WoK lately and skimmed through the parts where he's discovering his abilities and couldn't find it. Does it happen in WoR?

Which book does he see that? I don't really remember it and I've been rereading WoK lately and skimmed through the parts where he's discovering his abilities and couldn't find it. Does it happen in WoR?

Kaladin narrowed his eyes, watching that Stormlight rise. It was raw power. No. “Power” was the wrong term. It was a force, like the Surges that ruled the universe. They made fire burn, made rocks fall, made light glow. These wisps, they were the Surges reduced to some primal form.

He could use it. Use it to . . .

“Kal?” Sigzil’s voice asked, though it seemed distant. Like an unimportant buzzing. “How smooth was the cut to the railing? Could it have been a Shardblade?”

The voice faded. For a moment, Kaladin thought he saw shadows of a world that was not, shadows of another place. And in that place, a distant sky with a sun enclosed, almost as if by a corridor of clouds.

There.

He made the direction of the wall become down.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 470). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

• Chaos locked this topic