Q&A at Spokane Barnes & Noble

theofficetroll

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have a recording device, but I asked three questions while he was signing books for me and my daughter and friend. A few were answers I hadn't heard before and he gave me info I didn't ask for which I hadn't heard elsewhere. Enjoy!

If Hoid were tempted by a Shard, which one would it be?

Endowment

Are Nightwatcher and The Old Magic related?

The Nightwatcher is related to The Old Magic and is related to a Shard.

Which Shard? RAFO

There are 2 Shards on Roshar

Odium's presence is felt on Roshar, but he is on Brayse, the 3rd planet in the system.

Is that Shard on The Silence Divine? Oh, you mean Ashen. Ashen is mostly barren with small fertile patches

There are 2 Shards on Roshar, however Honor is dead.

If a Shard ruled Talents (Alcatraz), what would the Shard be? Betrayal, or inner self-contradiction, people contradicting themselves in some way.

I know I'm late. I've reat that posting a few times now but it's not evident for me what exactly are your questions and what are BS's answers.

Would you -- or someone else who doesn't have my problem -- be so kind an add some Q's and A's in front of the answers and questions? It'd be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance.

Question:

If Hoid were tempted by a Shard, which one would it be?

Brandon:

Endowment

Question:

Are Nightwatcher and The Old Magic related?

Brandon:

The Nightwatcher is related to The Old Magic and is related to a Shard.

Question:

Which Shard?

Brandon:

RAFO

Brandon:

Odium's presence is felt on Roshar, but he is on Braize, the 3rd planet in the system.

Question:

Is that Shard on The Silence Divine?

Brandon:

Oh, you mean Ashyn. Ashyn is mostly barren with small fertile patches

Brandon:

There are two Shards on Roshar, however Honor is dead.

Question:

If a Shard ruled Talents (Alcatraz), what would the Shard be?

Brandon:

Betrayal, or inner self-contradiction, people contradicting themselves in some way.

Here you go. The problem was probably that some of them aren't questions, but little factoids.

• 4 weeks later...

Greater Roshar. That's actually interesting - it feels like an implication that the other planets are either directly related to Roshar (I like the idea of Braize being Damnation, and the orbital periods of it and Roshar being responsible for the Desolations), or it was people from Roshar who originally discovered those other planets. Makes me wonder if sometime in the history of Roshar, its inhabitants were faaar more advanced than they are now, and then lost it all in a Desolation. A little like the Recreance on steroids.

• 1 month later...

Could not Braize be one of Roshar's three moons?

Except that in the Q&A in this thread Brandon said that Braize is a planet.

I agree with Argent's idea that the desolations may be related to planetary orbits and planetary allignment when Roshar and Braize are close to each other.

Edited by Beautor

Referred to by whom I wonder? The Seventeenth Shard? Do they know about solar systems? Do they have spaceships?

Makes me wonder. Are any Shardworlds currently technologically advanced far enough for spacetravel? If not, were any pre-Shattering? And what is the most advanced Shardworld in the present, or are they all around the same progression rate (which I add because if Mistborn will have a modern/future series then I doubt he'll bounce around technology-wise between series since they've mostly seemed the same in similarity so far.)

• 2 weeks later...

*Pseudo-necro*

I can tell you that there wasn't technological space travel before the Shattering.

Source:

QUESTION
What is the technology level of the singular society that existed when Adonalsium Shattered?

BRANDON SANDERSON
What was the technology level of the society that existed when Adonalsium Shattered? It was less than our own.

QUESTION
Are you going to give us anything more specific than that?

BRANDON SANDERSON
Less than our own.

FOOTNOTE
As Yolen was the first planet with people, this is likely the society that is referred to.

Edited by Kurkistan