The Cosmere-Realization Face

I`m from Argentina and I have never known a Sanderfan personally. It`s hard when you hardly ever see a book in the bookstores, and then, when you find one, it`s called "Nacidos de la bruma" or "La guerra de las tormentas" (for those who don`t speak Spanish I`ll summarize the meaning of the translations: something that sucks.

To evangelize someone first I have to convince them to buy a Kindle, then tell them how good it is for them to read books in english, how they are much better than the translations and how it helps to improve their vocabulary. Finally I get to the important stuff: YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK.

"Nascidos de la bruma" does not suck at all. Better than here in Brazil, where it became: "Mistborn:Nascidos da Bruma". For those who don't know portuguese, that is equivalent to: Mistborn:Mistborn.

Also, while " La guerra de las tormentas" (meaning: "The war of the storms") is a tad cliche and bland, Brandon does not make it very easy for translators, since as far as I know(not much) in most romance languages you can't just attach two words to make a new one like mistborn or stormlight without it ending stupid, meaningless or most likely both.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Is there a better thing in the world than the look of dawning realization in the face of someone who has just fully GOTTEN the full impact of the Cosmere and all of its implications for the first time?

My father does NOT get it. I try to tell him about Hoid, and he says "so, there's cameos of some guy?"

I try to teach him Realmatics, and he confuses it with Rithmatics.

And, yes, he did ask if Reckoners was cosmere. :P

Edit: you got exactly 16 upvotes for that post. Adonalsium confirmed.

Edited by WayneSpren

About translation: the German translations are quite creative.
Mistborn trilogy 1 has the titles (back-translated): "Children of Mist"; "Warriors of Fire"; "Rulers of Light"; and Alloy of Law is called "Hunters of Power".
Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are splitted in two books, the first half translated correctrly, the second "The Path of Winds" for TWOK and "The Storms of Wrath" for WOR. I am asking myself what they will do, if Brandon decides to troll them and name one of his future books exactly alike.
Warbraker is renamed to "Stormsounds", making absolutely no sense. "Nightblood" will end up with something like "Dawn of Colours" or similar missleading.

EDIT: "Storms of Wrath" somehow became "Storms of Wraith". I'm loving DnD way too much.

Edited by Alfa

About translation: the German translations are quite creative.

Mistborn trilogy 1 has the titles (back-translated): "Children of Mist"; "Warriors of Fire"; "Rulers of Light"; and Alloy of Law is called "Hunters of Power".

Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are splitted in two books, the first half translated correctrly, the second "The Path of Winds" for TWOK and "The Storms of Wraith" for WOR. I am asking myself what they will do, if Brandon decides to troll them and name one of his future books exactly alike.

Warbraker is renamed to "Stormsounds", making absolutely no sense. "Nightblood" will end up with something like "Dawn of Colours" or similar missleading.

All of them are amazing, being different from the original to sound better but still making sense.

Except Stormsounds.

All of them are amazing, being different from the original to sound better but still making sense.

Except Stormsounds.

"Warriors/Fighters of Fire" is not exactly well chosen, but I agree, that it sounds good. If they only could stop the habit to release the Stormlight-book-parts with a almost half-year gap in between. I was "forced" reading stormlight in in english...

Edited by Alfa

"Warriors/Fighters of Fire" is not exactly well chosen, but I agree, that it sounds good. If they only could stop the habit to release the Stormlight-book-parts with a almost half-year gap in between. I was "forced" reading stormlight in in english...

Yeah, warriors of fire fits the third book better. And releasing the split books with a gap between is just unfair. But on the bright side I would never have guessed you were not a native speaker of english by your writing.

I wonder how many here in the shard are foreigners who read the books in their original language.

They're probably translating the first half and releasing it ASAP, then finishing the translation before releasing the second half. That's how I'd do it.

Yeah, warriors of fire fits the third book better. And releasing the split books with a gap between is just unfair. But on the bright side I would never have guessed you were not a native speaker of english by your writing.

I wonder how many here in the shard are foreigners who read the books in their original language.

For some of us, there's not even a translation to our own language. Not that I would read it in Swedish even if it got translated, I original language is often best, if you can read it well.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is filled with win.

I have a friend who is now Cosmere aware but had started with SA. After he had finished WoR I told him to read Warbreaker (I even lent him my signed/#'d edition and whatnot) but I didn't mention the Cosmere. A few days later I was at his house and he looks at me and goes "You knew... you knew and didn't tell me." At first I had no idea what he was talking about and then he is like 'Nightblood!' I just slyly looked at him and said you should really go back to WoR and take a closer look at Zahel... Without missing a beat he goes "HOLY CRAP! He's VASHER!!!".

His face when I start explaining the Cosmere:

1849109365_569a41f236_z.jpg?zz=1

This thread is filled with win.

I have a friend who is now Cosmere aware but had started with SA. After he had finished WoR I told him to read Warbreaker (I even lent him my signed/#'d edition and whatnot) but I didn't mention the Cosmere. A few days later I was at his house and he looks at me and goes "You knew... you knew and didn't tell me." At first I had no idea what he was talking about and then he is like 'Nightblood!' I just slyly looked at him and said you should really go back to WoR and take a closer look at Zahel... Without missing a beat he goes "HOLY CRAP! He's VASHER!!!".

His face when I start explaining the Cosmere:

1849109365_569a41f236_z.jpg?zz=1

Did your friend realise about Hoid yet? hehe

Did your friend realise about Hoid yet? hehe

Yeah, He was quite perceptive regarding Hoid. After seeing the Zahel/Nightblood cameos he ask if Hoid/Wit was the same Hoid as the Storyteller who spoke with Lightsong and Siri. I think he is currently reading Elantris so we will see if he spots him again.

• 2 weeks later...

See, I introduced my girlfriend to Brandon's books before WoR came out and to date the only ones she hasn't read are Warbreaker and SoS. She knows about the cosmere but thinks its way too complicated and we are all just making half the stuff up. But the other night I started explaining things to her and sh amazingly didn't tell me to stop. She even asked a few questions. And at the end of it all, she said she actually didn't feel all confused. There is yet hope.

HoA spoiler:

I think the reason she won't listen about the cosmere is because she hates Brandon for killing Vin and Elend. She thinks all his books are going to end in widespread death.