Era 3 Protagonist

skaa

Meh. He tends to write at least one main Cosmere book every year, right? And this number will grow at least more consistent, if not higher, now that he's finished the large project that was finishing the Wheel of Time. And he's already written seven of the proposed thirty-six(ish). Twenty-nine more books brings him to something in the neighborhood of 75. Admittedly by then mortality might be something of an issue, but not too large of a one.

And given his experiences, and the fact that we know he has an IMMENSE internal wiki, I wouldn't be surprised if he'll have a plan to have someone in mind to finish the cosmere, should the unfortunate happen.

What I am actually worried about is that Brandon might not be able to finish the Cosmere before he passes. I'm not trying to be cynical, but he keeps adding new books to the Cosmere (eg: Wax and Wayne) and then also writing other books on top of that (Rekoners, etc). Even with his incredible writing speed, I worry that we may not see the end of the Cosmere... Its just such a massive Universe and he keeps making it bigger with extra books(Which I love but still)

(sorry I got pretty morbid, but it is a real fear of mine)

Don't be ridiculous. It's been well established that Brandon is a Slider with a near limitless supply of Bendalloy (no other possible way he could write this fast). He's just doing one per year right now to keep up the pretense of normalcy. Just watch, if ever there was a threat that he might not finish Cosmere, BAM! 30 books in one year would be hitting the publishers one after another.

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving my thread to share a WoB from Brandon's recent talk at Google, just in case some of you missed Argent's thread:

*Talking about how the Mistborn series evolves* ... And then I'm going contemporary-ish next. I'm really probably gonna go 1980s, kind of Tom Clancy-esque spy epics. You guys would like that one. The main character in that, she's a programmer... a very early programming language on Scadrial... Imagine a programmer gets recruited by, you know, the CIA, to go be a field agent. Uh, it'll make sense when I do it. *laughter from audience*

And here's my reaction when I heard that (I'll just copy it from Argent's thread coz I'm lazy):

Now I'm wondering how Nicrosil Allomancy helps in being a programmer or a government agent. Brandon has so far given each Misting or Twinborn character a role that fits his power/s, and the Era 3 protagonist is known to be a Nicrosil Misting. What if (programmable?!) Allomantic machines can be boosted by Nicrobursts?

Another possibility: I've speculated before that the Era 3 protagonist is a Twinborn due to her being Terris. Maybe she has Zinc Feruchemy, or some other Feruchemical ability that matches her roles. And perhaps combining that with Nicrosil Allomancy creates an effect that's also beneficial to her quest.

That is all.  :)

Edited by skaa

I'm reviving my thread to share a WoB from Brandon's recent talk at Google, just in case some of you missed Argent's thread:

And here's my reaction when I heard that (I'll just copy it from Argent's thread coz I'm lazy):

That is all. You may now bury this thread again if you like. :)

Do we know that it is still a Nicro misting? It's been a while since it was mentioned, and you're right it does seem like a weird one for a pioneering programmer to have.

Do we know that it is still a Nicro misting? It's been a while since it was mentioned, and you're right it does seem like a weird one for a pioneering programmer to have.

We don't. Someone should ask him. It's not RAFO-bait if he's talked about it before, is it?

We don't. Someone should ask him. It's not RAFO-bait if he's talked about it before, is it?

I don't think so, the last confirmation of it that Theoryland has is from 2012 and the character was a male then so he might well have changed a few things.

I actually like seeing characters with highly developed skills that are independent from their powers.  It makes them feel more like people.

• 4 months later...

I just revised the eras in my head. Instead of 3, we now have 4. Unless Brandon spontaneously comes up with more stories to slide into the history, in which case we'll have more.

I really, REALLY wish he wrote one or more books as a prequel to Vin's trilogy... With Alendi or Rashek as the MC. It really bothers me that nobody has bothered to explain how and why the Terris had oracles and prophecies and also how (and why) Preservation and Ruin never knew about them. And why do only the Terris have Feruchemical powers?

Edited by shinigamisid

Well, the whole Worldbringers thing is clearly tied to some sort of Cosmere organization, or is Cosmere-related at least, and Hoid is likely part of it. It would make lots of sense that he went to the people who have Feruchemy, since he apparently uses it to know where to go.

I've been looking at some of Brandon's book signings, at least as of 4 months ago, he still plans one era 3 protagonist being a Nicrosil misting.

Well, the whole Worldbringers thing is clearly tied to some sort of Cosmere organization, or is Cosmere-related at least, and Hoid is likely part of it. It would make lots of sense that he went to the people who have Feruchemy, since he apparently uses it to know where to go.

But then how did Preservation and Ruin not know about this?

I really, REALLY wish he wrote one or more books as a prequel to Vin's trilogy... With Alendi or Rashek as the MC. It really bothers me that nobody has bothered to explain how and why the Terris had oracles and prophecies and also how (and why) Preservation and Ruin never knew about them. And why do only the Terris have Feruchemical powers?

They did know about them though? Ruin utilized them heavily and Preservation is probably the one who started them.

About the whole "Brandon should focus on his masterplan" issue:

The way I see it, an author should write what he wants to write. There's nothing good in forcing yourself to write something you feel you should, but want to do something else.
So from the moment I heard about the big masterplan I'm taking it with a grain of copper. If it turns out Brandon won't write sci-fi Mistborn, I'll weep just like everyone else, but I'll understand.

Sometimes plot grows. Sometimes you can plan it and build it, sometimes it is organic and grows in unexpected directions. Sometimes you can control it, sometimes you should just let it grow.

Edited by Oversleep

• Chaos locked this topic