Way of Kings Annotations

MasterGhandalf

I think AoL is next up in the pipeline, but don't quote me on that (just wait for Phantom to quote Brandon on it in T-minus 5... 4....). I doubt we'll get the WoK annotations any time soon, as any decent discussion of Brandon's thoughts/motivations/writing process would almost certainly be laden with spoilers for the series.

Sorry to disappoint, Kurk, but I am the original, post-Zas, quotemaster.  :P

QUESTION:
To the questions... I believe I've heard you mention more than once that you weren't happy with WoK, could you explain a bit exactly what you would change or love to do-over with it or expand on your comments?

BRANDON:
I'll post more explanations of this in the KINGS annotations, which I'm working on right now. As for teasers for the second book, one of the interludes is from Taln's viewpoint. (He's the guy who shows up in the epilogue of the previous book.)
Source

This was about two months ago, by the way.

• 2 years later...

From my understanding, Brandon never finished them. It's not so much of a surprise, considering that he's a bestselling author and one of the dominant authors in the genre right now. Back when he was less well-known, he had more time for this sort of thing. I wouldn't expect annotations for a long time, if ever.

Ah well, I can understand that.

I'll enjoy the annotations that are out and maybe ask him if he plans to finish them when I see him during his current tour.

And though I'm new to the forum, I'm not new to Sanderson--been reading him since he was first published, have read all his published work except Alcatraz & that short story about 2 people dining somewhere... I'll get to those someday too.

I'd rather have more books than more annotations :).

Last I checked with Peter, the bottom line was that the more time Brandon spends on these behind-the-scenes pieces of writing (be they blogs or annotations), the less time he spends writing books everyone is going to read.

• 9 months later...
On 7/28/2016 at 4:25 PM, PeterAhlstrom said:

I just stumbled across the annotations file that Brandon started writing for Way of Kings. It goes from the beginning up through chapter 12. So we are probably going to post these someday. EDIT: Probably next year in the run-up to the Oathbringer release.

Fantastic! Is it possible he will complete the annotations or has he stopped writing those altogether to make time for more book writing?

17 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Fantastic! Is it possible he will complete the annotations or has he stopped writing those altogether to make time for more book writing?

I think he's said that he has no current plans to go back and finish them. It just takes too much time away from writing.

But YAY!

2 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

I think he's said that he has no current plans to go back and finish them. It just takes too much time away from writing.

Yeah, and they are a lot less fun to read. I think something like SH is a good compromise.

• Chaos locked this topic