Random Stuff II

I'll try it, and hope I get a better offer. This one is only part-time—30 hours a week—and other jobs I've seen offer much better starting pay. Still, if I do….the closeness worries me. She's said before that she wants me to apply in Boise because "it's far enough away that you can have your own life away from us, but close enough that we can visit you a lot." If my parents would drop in for surprise (or not surprise) weekend visits when I lived 6 hours away, I'm sure I'd be the recipient of more than few surprise weeknight visits. :wacko:

I'd kind of love to see the looks on their faces when dropping in for a surprise visit to find you aren't home because you *gasp* have a life.  "Sorry, Mom & Dad!  I was out at karaoke night and I couldn't hear my phone..."

I'd kind of love to see the looks on their faces when dropping in for a surprise visit to find you aren't home because you *gasp* have a life.  "Sorry, Mom & Dad!  I was out at karaoke night and I couldn't hear my phone..."

But that just puts Twi into a position of constantly having to come up with excuses to get out of the house, or sets her up for illogical rants about how she's never at home when they come over.

Her job situation really isn't so desperate that she needs to apply for a location she so vehemently opposes.

But that just puts Twi into a position of constantly having to come up with excuses to get out of the house, or sets her up for illogical rants about how she's never at home when they come over.

Her job situation really isn't so desperate that she needs to apply for a location she so vehemently opposes.

Oh, true, true.  But that doesn't mean that imagining that scenario or others like it isn't funny.  The overbearing parents defeated by the power of karaoke!  There's a plot in there somewhere...

Precisely. 

Let's face it: Twi is not unemployed. The job kinda sucks, but (according to my understanding) she is not in such dire financial straits that she needs to accept what she can get or needs to be around family that she can flee to should the need arise. She currently has the capability to look for something that fulfills her desire for a career and independence from problematic familial relations. She can take advantage of this situation for her benefit!

I mean, just think Twi, you are so awesome you can turn down "job opportunities" because they are beneath you! That ought to inspire confidence! :)

Oh, true, true.  But that doesn't mean that imagining that scenario or others like it isn't funny.  The overbearing parents defeated by the power of karaoke!  There's a plot in there somewhere...

Well, I guess if she met a handsome young preacher on one of her karaoke nights it could work as a romantic comedy... :P

Precisely. 

Let's face it: Twi is not unemployed. The job kinda sucks, but (according to my understanding) she is not in such dire financial straits that she needs to accept what she can get or needs to be around family that she can flee to should the need arise. She currently has the capability to look for something that fulfills her desire for a career and independence from problematic familial relations. She can take advantage of this situation for her benefit!

I mean, just think Twi, you are so awesome you can turn down "job opportunities" because they are beneath you! That ought to inspire confidence!  :)

Exactly.

She has nothing to be afraid of, so fear shouldn't come into the decision-making equation at all. There is a job opening. TwiLyght doesn't want that job. That should be the end of the story, and if her parents don't like it, then they shouldn't have made their daughter want to live on the opposite side of the continent from them.

Well, I guess if she met a handsome young preacher on one of her karaoke nights it could work as a romantic comedy... :P

Exactly.

She has nothing to be afraid of, so fear shouldn't come into the decision-making equation at all. There is a job opening. TwiLyght doesn't want that job. That should be the end of the story, and if her parents don't like it, then they shouldn't have made their daughter want to live on the opposite side of the continent from them.

I highly doubt Obliteration would attend a karaoke night. :P

I do still have the receptionist job, and while it would be difficult to live on this salary alone, I could do it. I might need to get a second job; I might not. Point is, the house still hasn't sold, so while I'm still at home, I do have a place to live while I look for something better.

I'm actually leaning toward not applying for any WA jobs she finds for me on principle. Aside from them being too close for comfort, she's looking for jobs for me. If they doesn't say "I don't trust you to make good decisions," I don't know what does.

I highly doubt Obliteration would attend a karaoke night. :P

I do still have the receptionist job, and while it would be difficult to live on this salary alone, I could do it. I might need to get a second job; I might not. Point is, the house still hasn't sold, so while I'm still at home, I do have a place to live while I look for something better.

I'm actually leaning toward not applying for any WA jobs she finds for me on principle. Aside from them being too close for comfort, she's looking for jobs for me. If they doesn't say "I don't trust you to make good decisions," I don't know what does.

He would if he knew you were there. And besides, I heard he has a smashing musical rendition of the Book of Revelation. :P

Good for you. I don't think you should lie about what job opportunities are available, but you can privately decide not to apply for any job that would put you too close to them. They're not entitled to make life decisions for you, so if you choose not to apply for this job, then they have no right to put any pressure on you. If they do so any way, then that just gives more reason for you to move the sparks away from them.

He'd make it a HEATED competition, that's for sure. :ph34r:

I'm at the point where I honestly don't care where I live, so long as it's a good distance from my parents. The only places I'm avoiding are California and New York City, but that's more because of the high cost of living than anything else. If I can live in a city or town that's at least eight hours from my parents--at least at first; I might be willing to live closer after I've had a chance to establish my own routines--that'd be awesome. If it's in a place my mom doesn't want to visit (so someplace like Wyoming, Missouri, Kentucky, Wisconsin, etc.) or that would be impractical for frequent visits (Georgia, Pennsylvania, Alaska) or some place she'd never dream I'd want to live (OH CANADAAAAA) that'd be even better.

Am I the only one who is still slightly baffled that Twi's parents plan on dropping by, rather than making her make the trip to see them?

As always...sympathy. Good luck with job hunting, and even better luck at running into the distance shouting "I'm free, I'm free!"

I'm at the point where I honestly don't care where I live, so long as it's a good distance from my parents. The only places I'm avoiding are California and New York City, but that's more because of the high cost of living than anything else. If I can live in a city or town that's at least eight hours from my parents--at least at first; I might be willing to live closer after I've had a chance to establish my own routines--that'd be awesome. If it's in a place my mom doesn't want to visit (so someplace like Wyoming, Missouri, Kentucky, Wisconsin, etc.) or that would be impractical for frequent visits (Georgia, Pennsylvania, Alaska) or some place she'd never dream I'd want to live (OH CANADAAAAA) that'd be even better.

Kansas City is actually quite nice, and you'd have your pick of living on either side of the state line.  Plus we're getting WorldCon next year!

...though I'd advise living on the same side you get a job on.  Trust me, cross-state taxes are a pain in the butt.

Edited by Kaymyth

Come to Florida! What's not to love? Constant heat, constant humidity, gators everywhere, the occasional hurricane. . .

Never mind, don't come here.

I know that the Columbus Ohio library system is rated best in the nation( proud card carrying member) but I don't know what sorts of opportunities are available right now Twi.

In other news, I have free reign of the house for a week as my family is taking my sister out for college and stuff :D Got a lot of chores and there's school, but still, I love these times.

My cat Blackthorn's back! :D I was so worried--honestly, I thought the coyotes got him. :unsure: But he's alive and well. Not even thinner than usual. :D

Oh, that's great! Really happy for you and your cat, I know how thick coyotes can get here in Texas oh man.

Proof of how addicting the Shard is: two pots of water boiled dry. Two.

First time, only Honor Spren's post about burning the house down with ramen actually... stopped me burning the house down with ramen. :ph34r:

So I put on another pot, promising I would keep an eye out. Then I headed back to the computer. An indeterminate amount of time later, I got up, only to discover my total sparking idiocy. Oops.

So now I'm enjoying a bowl of ramen that took far longer than it should've to cook to celebrate my not burning the house down. :D

Also, I forgot the milk. Be right back.

I have that issue with my calc book. :P My first class at my community college was Tuesday, and I was reading ahead in the book the entire time. For whatever reason calc just makes sense, in a way that other subjects sometimes don't.