Theory: Shardblades are Odiumspren

skaa

I'm just warming up to this theory, although my reason is inspired by the Dalinar WoR reading so I don't know if this is the right place to get into it.

We learn that at least one of the Unmade can corrupt at least certain spren, to animate thunderclasts. Let's say this is a powerful Voidbinding ability, and it's used against Honorspren, to corrupt them and use them as weapon against their own side. That could also explain the Parshendi's instinct not to fight Kaladin. Warform could come with built-in compulsion to let Voidbinders kill Surgebinders, and not try to do it yourself because it wastes the spren.

The complete opposite of this would be capturing Odiumspren, and turning them into weapons against the other side: the Shardblades. It would take powerful Soulcasting, or maybe only the Heralds can do it, or maybe it requires Dawnshards as a focus.

Where do Odiumspren come from? Voidbringer Parshendi would be bonded to them, but that only half-answers the question. They could already be around, as deathspren, nightspren, etc, but inactive outside of desolations, or harmless until a Parshendi binds one. Or perhaps the Unmade bring them with them from Damnation when they invade.

Szeth's blade would be the product of a rogue Surgebinder, Herald, etc., that performed the process on an Honorspren instead of an Odiumspren.

• Chaos locked this topic