Theory: Kaladin feels the Thrill!

Shardlet

I always felt, when reading, that the Thrill was a separate ability from the others. I always felt like it was something that was brought on by a heightened emotional state which then allowed Odium to influence you to create hatred within you to cause destruction and death in order to create more hate and disdain, which would in turn provide him with more power.

EDIT:: I want to also point out that (I'm pretty sure) when Dalinar is fighting with the poker he thinks about drawing on the Thrill, which would mean he doesn't need his Plate or Blade in order to access it.

I feel like this is why Dalinar has been getting sick when he accesses the Thrill, because he is becoming a very honorable person and it is potentially a side-effect from the beginning of a Nahel Bond starting.

I don't think the "Thrill" which Dalinar feels at the Battle of the Tower is really the Thrill. I think it is a form of Surgebinding, the same which Kaladin felt. The problem here, and Shardlet used a similar line of thought when saying Kaladin wouldn't know to call it the Thrill, is that Dalinar doesn't REALLY know what it is. To him the closest thing he has ever experienced is the Thrill, therefore he calls it that assuming it's just a little bit different than normal.

This could also explain why Kaladin is now immune to the Thrill, because he is now bound to an Honorspren, so Odium's influence can't affect him the same way it used to, or the same way it can with Dalinar.

Edited by Miyabi

• 3 months later...

Kal's abilities to become more focused in battle come from stormlight.  All of the occasions that include him getting more strength in battle come from him pulling in stormlight.  He doesn't enjoy slaughtering in battle, he has different motives than those that discuss the thrill. Dalinar has been changing.  Only until recently has Dalinar been disgusted by the thrill.

I didn't mean to reply to this particular discussion.  I don't disagree with this theory.  I do have different feelings concerning what Kal feels.  My opinion has also been changed by this discussion.

Edited by Buggy Onion

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic