Duralumin Savants

Quiver

Is it possible for someone to become a duralumin savant? Considering how a duralumin misting wouldn't really get any benefit from it, I'm not sure how they might be able to tell... but throughout the series, we see Mistborn burning duralumin and other metals to achieve a greater effect.

Since Duralumin immediatly burns up the other metal's, does that mean they aren't being burned long enough to induce savantism? Or is the fact that so much is being burned instantly help someone to become a savant in whatever the other metal was?

For that matter... what would being a duralumin savant in itself entail? Any WoB's or MAG information on the matter? 

What was the misting that burns up other people's metals by touch?

I thought it could have a similar effect to Aluminum for the burner (able to cleanse yourself of any metal-based poisons or accidentally swallowed any of the other allomantic metals)

What was the misting that burns up other people's metals by touch?

I thought it could have a similar effect to Aluminum for the burner (able to cleanse yourself of any metal-based poisons or accidentally swallowed any of the other allomantic metals)

It is Chromium that drains the targets metal supply. The mistings are called "Leechers".

I had a character who was an aluminum savant at some point. Basically he was useless; he'd just eat and burn it because he was bored and just got used to it and addicted.

I have no idea what an actual savant would be able to do. Would you eventually be able to effect others?

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

There's a WOB that says that aluminum Savants could use aluminum to cleanse things from their body that shouldn't be there like poison. however I believe that getting enough aluminum to do this is impossible, at least in the AOL era but it'll probably be doable in the modern day trilogy. 

Based on this I would assume that Duralumin Savants could enhance the effects of foreign things in their bodies for example want to get really drunk for a second, have one beer then use Duralumin to make your body process all the Alcohol in an instant. note that this might kill you. 

There's a WOB that says that aluminum Savants could use aluminum to cleanse things from their body that shouldn't be there like poison. however I believe that getting enough aluminum to do this is impossible, at least in the AOL era but it'll probably be doable in the modern day trilogy. 

Based on this I would assume that Duralumin Savants could enhance the effects of foreign things in their bodies for example want to get really drunk for a second, have one beer then use Duralumin to make your body process all the Alcohol in an instant. note that this might kill you. 

my read on that is that it didn't get rid of foreign substances so much as foreign investiture (too lazy to go look it up just now).  so, as an example, you might burn aluminum to get rid of some bit of hemalurgy that was affecting you.  the reverse then, would be burning duralumin to supercharge that investiture, but also presumably use it up more quickly.   to go back to the hemalurgy example, I suppose you might be able to burn duralumin to supercharge the effect you were getting (lets say phyiscal strength) but at the price of actually using up the hemaluric charge in the process (this is a guess, based on my understanding of the WoB answer for aluminum)

• 2 weeks later...

From what we have seen so far I don't think that duralumin Savants are possible. I mean maybe they could enhance other things in the body besides the Allomatic metals, but for now all we know is that when you burn duralumin it massively increases the power of the metal(s) you burn it with and uses it up in one massive burst. I don't think that you could keep it flared enough to become a savant with it. 

Well, interesting point you bring up. Duralumin is immune to its own effects. And we honestly have been given no sense of its actual burn rate. With enough duralumin there's no reason you couldn't flare it allomantically for a full year; it's not like aluminum where you'd need some Rube Goldbergian feeding tube.

But do you have to actually be USING a metal to Savant in it? A duralumin gnat could flare for a solid year, and it wouldn't technically do anything. Yet, Investiture is pouring into his spiritweb. In theory, you'd be like a bronze savant; there's an epigraph I believe saying that many Seekers Savant without realizing it. It's not as drastic a change as it is for other metals.

What would the effect be on a Mistborn? In this thread, I touch on what duralumin actually does, and the difference between power levels. Would it simply compress the burst more? Shorter burst at greater relative power? What about when you're not burning? Would you start to have issues with burning metals? Would your base burn rate of every metal be slower unless you're burning duralumin, having the effect of letting you burn for longer, but unable to achieve the same feats you used to?

• Chaos locked this topic