Shinovar is safe

Herdazian

I recently posted about how Shinovar is about to be destroyed nut now o think that the exact opposite is going to happen. The everstorm 8s not a new thing remember the ending of WoR where Jasnah asks 'so the everstorm has come' (don't have book in me so exact wording may be wrong). She seemed to expect the Everstorm. This shows that the everstorm is not 100%. Only one thing has changed in the past its coming changed the parshmen but this time it is the power that changes them. So the everstorm is not new. This means that Shinovar has had to weather storms in the past but it is also problematic because a single desolation is enough to change Shinovar in such a way that it could never go back to what it was. It would strip away the top soil and that would be the end of Shinovaran vegetation. This would mean death for most of its animals. We also know that Shinovar is not something that is new but it is as old as (at least) the Knights radiant this because this is the place where original horses had to come and the radiant as we know had Ryshadium. So Shinovar is old and it has weathered storms before which leads to the explanation that it may be a safe hold created by the Heralds that provided humanity a place from where to seek shelter during the terrible and opposite storms of the desolations. It has been granted magical protection by honor and cultivation and the stone shamans may have been created (as a group) by the heralds to protect the refugees it must bear this explains their aversion to violence and also why the Heralds trusted them that they let their Honourblades remain with them so Shinovar is safe

There is stronger evidence towards this being the first Everstorm than otherwise, honestly.

Just because someone expects it to doesn't mean it's happened before, what with all the visions and (somewhat inaccurate) Truthwatcher prophecies. And death rattles. And all these other things that predict the future.

I would just like to point out that we cannot take the fact that shinovaar has soil as evidence that it is protected from the everstorm. A highstorm is akin to an hurricane, and an hurricane does not strip away all the soil. If there was a hurricane or two every week, always blowing in the same direction, for millennia, then it would do that. But previous desolations lasting a few years at most would have gad little impact on the soil of shinovar.

Besides, the soil is formed by geological processes like everything else. Wind and water and roots break the rock into sand, while organics and clay and other things stabilize the soil to give it the appearence we know. The only reason soil is not formed in roshar is that every loose particle is blown away by the storms. So even if the shinovar soil takes some damange from the everstorm, it would recover with time. Given how sedimentation changes riverbeds in a matter of centuries, I would guess that is the timescale it would need to reform. As long as enough soil remain here and there, the animals and plants would also survive, and would spread again when the soil forms again.

So, shinovar having soil proves nothing about the cycle of the everstorms. Just that no single desolation had ever lasted enough to blow away all of it.

I agree with natc. There seems to be more evidence that the Everstorm is a first for the desolations. That isn't to say that shinovar isn't safer from the storm, but at the same time, if it was safe from the Everstorm, a lot of other countries would be too. While it has one range between it and the coming storm, both of the ranges surrounding it stand between the storm and a lot more land. I assume that if that was the case, they wouldn't be nearly so worried about it coming back around, because it would always lessen in the mountains.

The Stormfather speaking in Chapter 89 of WoR:

THE EVERSTORM.  IT IS A NEW THING, BUT OLD OF DESIGN. IT ROUNDS THE WORLD NOW, AND CARRIES WITH IT HIS SPREN.  ...

My interpretation is that the Everstorm was designed long ago, but is actualized for the first time.  This would allow it to be a new thing, but old of design.  I am not aware of the listener songs referring to it.  Eshonai and her sister seem to discuss it as a new event.  So my belief is that the Everstorm has never hit Shinovar before. 

Given the unknowns involved in the effect on Shinovar, I find predicting even it's approximate effect on Shinovar to be a dubious enterprise. 

It seems that it will have a huge effect, both physically and culturally (as the Valley of Truth turns out to be based on a lie).  Brandon can make it as significant as he wants for the best story. 

My interpretation is that the Everstorm was designed long ago, but is actualized for the first time.  This would allow it to be a new thing, but old of design.  I am not aware of the listener songs referring to it.  Eshonai and her sister seem to discuss it as a new event.  So my belief is that the Everstorm has never hit Shinovar before. 

Given the unknowns involved in the effect on Shinovar, I find predicting even it's approximate effect on Shinovar to be a dubious enterprise. 

It seems that it will have a huge effect, both physically and culturally (as the Valley of Truth turns out to be based on a lie).  Brandon can make it as significant as he wants for the best story.

Thank you for finding that quote. I knew it existed but I forgot where it occured.

But you bring up an interesting point. Can shinovar be truly safe if their culture and belief system just turned out to be a lie? That's got to bring some chaos into the mix.

Exactly!

Thank you for finding that quote. I knew it existed but I forgot where it occured.
But you bring up an interesting point. Can shinovar be truly safe if their culture and belief system just turned out to be a lie? That's got to bring some chaos into the mix.

Religion/society/worldview overthrown: check

Oppressed warrior class: check

riot/revolution chance: unknown

How quickly can the Shamans deploy with their Honorblades to keep the warriors in their place if needed?

A chaotic setting could make it easier for Nale to operate.  Does Nale plan to get the rest of the Honorblades?  My crystal ball seems broken...  An interesting situation, to be sure.

Exactly!

Religion/society/worldview overthrown: check

Oppressed warrior class: check

riot/revolution chance: unknown

How quickly can the Shamans deploy with their Honorblades to keep the warriors in their place if needed?

A chaotic setting could make it easier for Nale to operate.  Does Nale plan to get the rest of the Honorblades?  My crystal ball seems broken...  An interesting situation, to be sure.

Honestly, I don't believe the Shamans would react fast at all. They've been in denial for a long time, and it seems like parshmen either don't live there or are less common, so even after the storm passes, it's possible they could still attempt to ignore the desolation. So if Nale does intend to get the rest... anything could happen. There are too many variables. Outcome is foggy, try again later.

Plus, if the avarage shin is as brainwashed into obedience as Szeth they would probably rationalize that an Everstorm does not mean it is another desolation or something like that, because disobedience is such an alien concept to them(after all, it took Szeth becoming insane after all the killing he did for no good reason, and them realizing that it was done as punishment for a crime he didn't do, and them being brought back from the dead by his god, for him to rebel.)

Plus, if the avarage shin is as brainwashed into obedience as Szeth they would probably rationalize that an Everstorm does not mean it is another desolation or something like that, because disobedience is such an alien concept to them(after all, it took Szeth becoming insane after all the killing he did for no good reason, and them realizing that it was done as punishment for a crime he didn't do, and them being brought back from the dead by his god, for him to rebel.)

This is a good point. Szeth's obedience might come at least partly from his personality, but that level is rarely reached without societal pressures. If he was pushed that far, there have to be others that are the same. The question is: what will happen when they also realize how wrong they were? What will that kind of nationwide psychology produce? 

• Chaos locked this topic