Could Stormlight Archive be successful with a TV adaption like GoT and if so would you rather it be Anime or real people.

rbnguevara

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I like the idea of either, but I worry that an anime adaptation would turn a lot of other people off. I personally enjoy anime, but I also know a lot of people who hate it, and if SA gets some sort of adaptation, I'd rather see it get a wider audience. I can't help thinking about the film adaptations for the Lord of the Rings, where most people I know couldn't take the animated versions seriously, whether or not they were well-made. I'd hate to see that happen to The Way of Kings. 

As far as cost concerns go, I'm not sure it would be so problematic as people tend to think. Any adaptation like this would need to come up with its own techniques (again, thinking back to Lord of the Rings and the motion-capture technology that brought Gollum to life). I agree that by the time there are enough books out to make an adaptation feasible, there would be much more technology available, and as long as whoever got the rights to it was competent enough, I think they would be able to come up with creative ways to portray this world without spending an unholy amount of money on it. Honestly, my biggest concern would be white-washing the cast.

Syl would be relatiely easy, with some green rooms and some filters. Pattern - depends how you will picture him. I think the others spren (like pain- or fearspren) will be more difficult

Animation, definitely animation, but not anime style (Because even if I do love anime and manga I hate the stereotypical huge eyes, no nose art most anime has), somewhat realistically hand drawn art.

Though I could agree with anime if it was done in the style of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

After reading the Game of Thrones series and then to my disappointment watching the TV show.  I can't help but think they could have done better if it was done as an anime.

So I agree that a live action adaptation of SA would more likely than not be a disappointment, and I base this off of the train wreck that is GoT when compared to ASoIaF. Bad actors favored for their looks over talent, special effects that can't quite keep up with what we see in our imaginations and end up looking bad, writing teams taking liberties with good source material just so they can feed their ego and "make it their own". 

First off, I have to take a completely different view of GoT. I love the shows just as much as i love the books. Sure they take liberties with the story, every book adapted to a movie or show has that happen. I felt they stayed relatively true to the books for the first 2-3 season and it is only the last couple of seasons where things have varied quite a bit. It is frustrating, but i think part of it is out of necessity, GRRM takes so dang long to write each book they have caught up and need to take the show somewhere without all the books out. I actually think the acting is pretty good for a show, better than most things on TV. The special effects are pretty good, could be better, but on the whole i thought the adaptation to a show was pretty awesome.

In my opinion it is way better done then when Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series (another of my favorites) got turned into "The Legend of the Seeker" which i thought was terribly done. The story there was changed, the dialogue and acting was awful, and the special effects was lacking. 

TV Executive: Hmmm. I've read some of the character notes. Do you think maybe Hayden Christensen could do Kaladin?

edit: words missing

Why oh why would you kill my vision of a SA adaptation by mentioning Hayden Christensen as Kaladin? I felt he was the worst actor/character of the recent star wars trilogy (even worse then Jar Jar Binks!) when Anakin should have been amazing! 

Overall i would like to see an adaptation of SA. I think there is potential for live action but it would be costly. The computer game Warcraft is being turned into a movie and apparently the CGI is supposed to be great for that since all the ORCS are CGI. If that turns out to be accurate when it comes out next year then a live action SA might be a possibility without having to wait decades for better technology. But i think live action would be hard to do to give Roshar the justice it deserves. Just think of the ecology of the world, it is not like there is a really good location you can go to to make it look accurate, every little detail of shalebark and laits would have to be created to make it work to ensure fans wouldn't get upset by how different things were from the books.

Animation is more practical way of doing it and i would enjoy it. I probably prefer anime that someone else mentioned in the Avatar the Last Airbender style. But would accept any type of animation to do an adaptation.

I have my problems with the idea of StAr as a movie with real actors, because I think that the people of roshar look very different to earthern people - I have no idea how big Shin eyes really are, but I am sure that they are bigger than the eyes of most of known actors, and this is only the first of many differences.

I have my problems with the idea of StAr as a movie with real actors, because I think that the people of roshar look very different to earthern people - I have no idea how big Shin eyes really are, but I am sure that they are bigger than the eyes of most of known actors, and this is only the first of many differences.

Actually Shin eyes would be the average Earth-size.  Rosharans just describe them as being "big" because all the people who aren't Shin have eyes with epicanthic folds (i.e. Asian-looking eyes).

Why oh why would you kill my vision of a SA adaptation by mentioning Hayden Christensen as Kaladin? I felt he was the worst actor/character of the recent star wars trilogy (even worse then Jar Jar Binks!) when Anakin should have been amazing! 

Muahahahahahaaaa! My point has been made :D
Edited by CabbageHead

If they attempted live action, in addition to CGI expenses for the magic system there would be the issue of basic world characteristics. Yes, you've got spren all over the place, but you've also got all these plants and animals that are unique. Unless it's a scene based in Shinovar, that means you can't do a shoot with grass. This micromanagment would be really expensive compared to something like Game of Thrones, where most scenes they can just head over to the countryside.

Edited by dungeonfood

If they attempted live action, in addition to CGI expenses for the magic system there would be the issue of basic world characteristics. Yes, you've got spren all over the place, but you've also got all these plants and animals that are unique. Unless it's a scene based in Shinovar, that means you can't do a shoot with grass. This micromanagment would be really expensive compared to something like Game of Thrones, where most scenes they can just head over to the countryside.

Honestly, I always imagined most of the books taking place somewhere relatively barren, with very little plant life. Shoot somewhere like Southern Utah and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Actualy, Roshar is full of life, with rockbuds rollin around, vines hidding behind hills, grass in holes in the rock and cremlings crawling behind stones. Plus, even if you were to use a desert and then put the plants there, most barren locations on earth aren't just bare rock like Roshar.

Actualy, Roshar is full of life, with rockbuds rollin around, vines hidding behind hills, grass in holes in the rock and cremlings crawling behind stones. Plus, even if you were to use a desert and then put the plants there, most barren locations on earth aren't just bare rock like Roshar.

Well, that is why I suggested Southern Utah. Lots of rock, not a lot of grass. And I'm not sure any adaptation will want to focus too much on the flora and fauna. Yes, it makes the world interesting, and I love it, but if someone is going to make a film adaptation, they'll want to be more focused on the story anyway.

I might be odd, but i would rather an adaptation focus on the flora/fauna over the story. Its just i feel like the world of Roshar is so well built, with many different cultures and races...

If I was going to make a t.v. show, it would be anime in a similar art style to Mushi-shi. It would follow the story of some merchant or wanderer, really immersing us in the world, from the Theylana to Aimia to the Reshi Isles. It would start around the same time as the books, would move along with the books, referencing the shattered plains, everstorm, parshendi, etc., and have the occasional main book character cameo.

I think if they did something like this they would not only nearly remove the risk of ruining a great story, but also help Sanderson show his awesome world.

I might be odd, but i would rather an adaptation focus on the flora/fauna over the story. Its just i feel like the world of Roshar is so well built, with many different cultures and races...

If I was going to make a t.v. show, it would be anime in a similar art style to Mushi-shi. It would follow the story of some merchant or wanderer, really immersing us in the world, from the Theylana to Aimia to the Reshi Isles. It would start around the same time as the books, would move along with the books, referencing the shattered plains, everstorm, parshendi, etc., and have the occasional main book character cameo.

I think if they did something like this they would not only nearly remove the risk of ruining a great story, but also help Sanderson show his awesome world.

So you want a TV show about Rysn?

I'd prefer an animated adaption. Just because the world Stormlight Archives is set in is WAY too alien too faithfully adapt it on a realistic live action budget. And that's even before you get into the special effects that you'd need for shardplate or surge binding. 

This is probably a bit more trivial, but it'd probably also miss out on the fact that none of the races on Roshar really translate into anything on earth. I kind of like being able to imagine that the people on Roshar, while still human beings, are significantly different than any people I'd be able to meet in real life.

Polynesian? Don't a bunch of the Alethi characters have blonde or red hair and green/blue/grey eyes?

Yes, but pretty much everyone on Roshar (aside from the Shin) are implied to have eyes with Epicanthic folds. Just because they have colorful hair and eyes doesn't imply they look Caucasian. 

Well, that is why I suggested Southern Utah. Lots of rock, not a lot of grass. And I'm not sure any adaptation will want to focus too much on the flora and fauna. Yes, it makes the world interesting, and I love it, but if someone is going to make a film adaptation, they'll want to be more focused on the story anyway.

I don't know if a dry desert is really an appropriate locale for a planet that's supposed to get hit by mega storms every few weeks. Roshar is supposed to be wet afterall.

Also seems a waste to ignore the entire on land coral reef thing it has going for it.

RAxanOFl.jpgo6gOsDbl.jpg

Edited by Numuhuku

With real actors you will end up making another "Avatar"-like movie with aproxinmately 90% animation; I do not think you could play anywhere outside, be i desert or grassland. But this will require a very, very solid budget. TWOK and WOR each have more than ten times as much story as "Avatar" has, and this will end up in proportional expenses. Even if CGI is going cheaper and cheaper, in the near future it won't be possible to get a studio, that will take as much risk. Probably with crowdfunding, but I do not believe, that there will be as much hardcore Sanderson fans.

With real actors you will end up making another "Avatar"-like movie with aproxinmately 90% animation; I do not think you could play anywhere outside, be i desert or grassland. But this will require a very, very solid budget. TWOK and WOR each have more than ten times as much story as "Avatar" has, and this will end up in proportional expenses. Even if CGI is going cheaper and cheaper, in the near future it won't be possible to get a studio, that will take as much risk. Probably with crowdfunding, but I do not believe, that there will be as much hardcore Sanderson fans.

To really make it justice, it should be a series with Avatar visual quality. Not less.

Maybe if we ask the Night Watcher...

To really make it justice, it should be a series with Avatar visual quality. Not less.

Maybe if we ask the Night Watcher...

I bet it will end up in the movie being upside down, no matter what you try or some other Nightwatcher crem

Edited by Alfa

Yes, but pretty much everyone on Roshar (aside from the Shin) are implied to have eyes with Epicanthic folds. Just because they have colorful hair and eyes doesn't imply they look Caucasian. 

Tons of Finnish people and some Scandinavians have Epicanthic folds and blonde/red hair and blue or green eyes, and they're white. Look at actors like Josh Hartnett or Renee Zellweger, for example.

Anyway, that was kind of my original point.. that they don't really look like any race on Earth (at least not in my head). You won't find any Polynesians with red/blonde hair and green or blue eyes. This would make casting difficult if not impossible if one goes for accuracy-to-book, without absurd amounts of makeup/dye/prosthetics/colored contacts (which always look completely unnatural.) Even when white people with dark eyes wear colored contacts they're always oddly noticeable and distracting to me. Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger looks friggin' bizarre in those colored contacts he's wearing for that movie they've been advertising all over the place recently - it's like he has Gollum eyes.

I don't care either way (I wouldn't oppose either a film or an animated feature, but I wouldn't be too terribly interested in watching it either), I just find it odd when people complain about potential "whitewashing" in regards to this adaptation. "Whitewashing" doesn't really apply here in my opinion, the races in these books are literally aliens from an Earthly perspective - and have no true equivalent in reality . If anything I always got the impression they were an imagined amalgamation of several different races as they would appear on Earth, rather than a character design based solely on a single "type" of Earthly human.

Edited by Stinky-Dinkins

As much as I would love to see something like this, I'm honestly not sure it could work very well. Too much of the story happens inside the character's minds.

For example, Szeth can be a pretty sympathetic character in the book. But if you were just watching him from the outside he looks like nothing more than a psychopath. He hardly ever speaks. It would be difficult to portray his descent into madness without changing his character quite a bit. How do you portray the screaming in his head without it being awkward?

Eshonai is another good example. The entire Listener race, for that matter. The amount of exposition you'd need to explain all the things the characters just happen to know would get pretty awkward. How do you explain the meaningful difference between the Rhythms? Most of it is felt by the character. We know the significance of the entire population singing to Awe only because Eshonai knows what the song means. If we just witnessed the characters singing it how do we know what it means? Does someone name the song out loud?

All of the PoV characters would have this problem to some extent. Dalinar never ever speaks about his memory loss. Does the audience hear Shshshsh when Dalinar does? And what about the spren? Does someone name each and every one out loud? If you've read the books you'd probably recognize them but what about someone who's just watching the show? It could get really confusing really easily.

Exposition would need to be handled very carefully not to ruin the whole experience. I'm not sure it's really possible to do on-screen.

I hope to be proven wrong, though.