Didnt even notice it actually

wasn't taking a shot either, in case you thought i was :)

is happening with Eugene?

Its the second largest city in Oregon, isn't it?

has any backstory so far in the RP mentioned it?

Just curious, is all, I wasn't planning on doing anything with it myself if you wondered.

Also on another unrelated note, how does everyone feel about Atrophy in Corvallis? I plan for him to be neutral at first and go with wherever the cards fall as the action unfolds.

Edited by Blackhoof

Just curious, is all, I wasn't planning on doing anything with it myself if you wondered.

It's been mentioned in the Questions of Old, but to my knowledge there's nothing planned for it yet.

Didnt even notice it actually

wasn't taking a shot either, in case you thought i was :)

Also on another unrelated note, how does everyone feel about Atrophy in Corvallis? I plan for him to be neutral at first and go with wherever the cards fall as the action unfolds.

Someone might have used it in some backstory but nothing major that I know of, though it's been brought up as a potential future location a few times IIRC.

That would probably be a good place for him, his abilities are a bit too adverse for him to be accepted in the Dalles in any capacity.

Someone might have used it in some backstory but nothing major that I know of, though it's been brought up as a potential future location a few times IIRC.

That would probably be a good place for him, his abilities are a bit too adverse for him to be accepted in the Dalles in any capacity.

Though to be entierly fair I don't think we need another location yet.

Who is Atrophy again?

Epic from one of my 'A day in the life of' posts that got adopted.

Hello morsel, how you found this tome is irrelevant, know only that it once belonged to a being far beyond the likes of you. It records the daily activities of a powerful and dangerous Epic. Me.

My name is Atrophy and this was my day.

I felt the morning-life suffuse my body, the light gouging its way through my shut lids and into my protesting eyes tinting the inside of my eyelids red as my blood began to flow freely.

I may be slow to wake but once I do so I waste no time, I hurl my thin blanket into one corner of the bare room I sleep in and stand up, stretching limbs and cracking my neck before throwing on some clothes. Unlike some Epics I wear no outlandish outfits like the fantasies of comic books. If I want to advertise my presence I have other ways to ensure that people know what I am.

I leave my house quietly, not a wasted movement or any excess sound. I've been told that along with my nearly skeletal thinness my preference for avoiding making noise as I move about has caused more than one person to assume me to be dead.

They should be so lucky.

I am indeed quite alive, an unfortunate side effect of which is my continued need for sustenance. Some Epics liked to boast that they needed no food but the truth was that even those High Epics who could technically live without it prefer to eat. Be it a last vestige of their humanity or simply an enjoyment of the taste I'd never met an Epic who never ate.

My first purpose for this morning was to secure some more sustenance, and perhaps someone to make it into something palatable for me in exchange for their life. We would wait and see.

Some significant time later (My first choice of market had been burned down the previous night) I entered through an open doorway through an irritating curtain of beads into a local foreign foods market. I hadn't particularly payed attention to which and it hardly seemed like it mattered, the idea of travelling overseas had become somewhat laughable in recent years, no airports still remained open and what boats there were generally preferred to spend all their time at sea pretending the world hadn't changed.

"Mornin hun, I'm Mindy. You need any help? You certainly look like you could use a few good meals."

A cheerful voice greeted me from a slightly brighter corner of the room, a young girl standing up and taking in my appearance skeptically.

"Quite. I'm in need of some sustenance, and not entirely sure what would be best. What would you recommend?" I did my best not to appear too menacing. Irritating though her voice already was, people were much more helpful when they didn't think you were a murderer.

"Well we just restocked on a few of our home-made sauces, we have a very nice vindaloo base that goes wonderfully with some of the beef from Al next door? We have papadums as well though some weirdo keeps buying out our entire stock. Says he needs them to avert disaster or something."

"That sounds excellent then, I don't suppose you could get a recommended cut of that beef you mentioned too could you? I'll pay extra."

I received a somewhat strange look but the young girl was more than happy to speak to the butcher next door on my behalf.

"Well then, will that be all? All up it will be-" Midway through ringing up the order the young girl grasped suddenly at her throat.

I smiled at her gently as she looked at me in terror, the ability to weaken muscles of my choice came in tremendously handy when I wanted to shut someone up and they were annoying me.

"Not quite all I'm afraid, you see I'm actually a terrible cook and you seemed so passionate about the whole affair that I thought I'd really like to try your recipe for myself."

Focusing a smidge more power into her legs I caught her just as she collapsed, legs now unable to support her weight.

Grabbing one of the trolleys kept near the entrance I hauled Mindy's limp body into it, tearing out those stupid bead things on my way out of the shop.

A hand on my shoulder spun me around and I was confronted by a large man holding a meat cleaver.

"You'd better back off now friend." The big man said menacingly, obviously not considering me much of a threat.

Big mistake.

"Sorry friend." I said, placing my hand on his and sending a rush of power straight to his heart.

As he collapsed I turned slowly, watching the look of horror in Mindy's face increase tenfold.

I quietly began pushing the trolley back down the road, other pedestrians giving us a wide berth, at first because they'd seen what had happened to the butcher but then just to follow suit, no one wanted to risk confronting an Epic after all.

I smiled grimly as I eventually pushed the trolley through my front door and deposited Mindy in a corner of my bare kitchen. Then I crouched down with her to explain.

"Now, this is probably one of the most terrifying things that's happened to you, you've heard of other girls getting picked up by Epics and the ones who came back alive probably wished that they hadn't. Let me assure you now that I have no intention of touching you in any way or making you do anything unpleasant. I really did just want a cook and you seemed like you knew what you were talking about. So, I get food, you get to live in relative sanity and safety as long as you don't annoy me. Sounds like a good deal yes?"

Opening her mouth a few times, Mindy tried to say something but all that came out was a croak.

"Oh yes, I'm not a big fan of conversation so I've basically paralyzed your vocal chords, just nod or shake your head. If you're any good I might let you start speaking again but it'll take a few days before you'd be able to even if I released you now."

Tears creeping down her face, she nodded slowly a few times.

"Excellent. I've released your legs, you should be able to stand again in about an hour. Don't try to run, it won't be pleasant."

I sat down in the opposite corner of the room, resting my back against the wall. Some Epics loved opulence, I just didn't see the point. Even before I'd gained my powers and along with them an incredibly low opinion of the value of human life I'd never put much stock in material possessions. Tools for buying social approval. Even if I wanted approval, being an Epic basically guaranteed that the whole world would hate me, my penchant for killing people who annoyed me made it a sure thing.

An hour later after several stretches and practice attempts under my smiling approval, Mindy managed to stand up unaided, albeit with a bit of a wobble to her step. I thought I might actually keep her at about that level, it made her kind of cute in a clumsy way. I closed my eyes, not even bothering to check if she was actually making that curry instead of running away.

I was awoken by a gentle tap on the shoulder and a rich aroma under my nose. Blinking slowly awake I saw Mindy sitting next to me and holding out a bowl of curry, it was a simple dish, little more than some beef cubes with sauce on a bed of rice but to someone who'd been subsisting off of packet noodles for a week now it was more than sufficient. Even more importantly she hadn't tried to stab or poison me while I was asleep. That was nice.

Licking the last remnants of sauce from the bowl I looked down and noticed a few grazes on Mindy's shins.

I tutted gently.

"I did tell you not to run didn't I? Good thing you didn't get to far or it would've been worse than just falling over. You get too far away and it won't just be your legs, it'll be your whole body. Get a bit further and your heart stops. I die and your heart stops. You annoy me and your heart stops. Clear?"

Another terrified nod followed.

"Good, you can have some food now if there's any left, and you can come shopping with me tomorrow if there's anything else you need. Sleep wherever."

Turning over I gently closed my eyes once more.

My name is Atrophy and today I discovered that I enjoy curry.

Though to be entierly fair I don't think we need another location yet.

No not really :P I'm getting swamped enough as is. 

At work bored with not much to do, so I thought I'd write up a new post in the Corvallis thread whilst I got time. 

Voidus - Malevolence is heading for Cornucopia next, so i'll message you at some point to collab. Might not have time to write a full post until next week though. 

I guess Malevolence with his sympathy for food is going to have a hard task resisting taking side of Cornutopia :P And I wonder how is he going to react when he'll see that Argon can conjure cake and pie :D

It seems that the Queens are going to have a very long day... I have to figure out how to place my character in all this. He came to Corvallis looking for a place where he could have a hot bath and comfy sleep, but he's just stepping into a forming storm  <_<

I guess Malevolence with his sympathy for food is going to have a hard task resisting taking side of Cornutopia :P And I wonder how is he going to react when he'll see that Argon can conjure cake and pie :D

It seems that the Queens are going to have a very long day... I have to figure out how to place my character in all this. He came to Corvallis looking for a place where he could have a hot bath and comfy sleep, but he's just stepping into a forming storm  <_<

Yeah, location of conflict and peacful baths kind of contradict themselves. :P (Though I guess the concept of comfy sleep is foreign to most Epics)

Kobold, is there any way you want us to celebrate your new post count?

Edited by Edgedancer

I just had an idea... How about we make an Epic Goat based on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Windsor_(goat)Everyone makes mistakes, even Calamity. Calamity might not noticed that something called William Windsor is actually a goat, not a human... :ph34r:

Eh. We're still not completely clear on how the whole Epic-making thing works, so we're venturing into potential canon-shattering territory here.

We could use it as a sort of "Portland 2," I guess, if we got a surge of newcomers and wanted them to have somewhere to go. Alternately, we could base it off of Babilar, where a powerful Epic controls the city but can't be bothered to rule it, so there's a bunch of gangs fighting all over the place.

Kobold, is there any way you want us to celebrate your new post count?

And while you're thinking of party plans, I had a question. 

Lightwards' paranoia shows no sign of decreasing; if anything, it will increase exponentially as his number of deaths increases. Could he, at any point, be diagnosed with Hidey's Disease? 

Argon would indeed make a good ally, cakes on demand would make Malevolence a very happy boy. I'm sure their paths will cross one day.

Day one was crazy, day two looks to be going in the same way. Gunsmoke will spend the day taunting the Queens mostly. He knows they cannot kill him, nor can he kill them. He is planning for a stalemate which will give Malevolence time to turn other Queens and find a way to bring down Rainmaker.

I've made an edit to my Corvallis post. After re-reading didn't make it clear enough that Gunsmoke was covering part of the city in smoke.

Eh. We're still not completely clear on how the whole Epic-making thing works, so we're venturing into potential canon-shattering territory here.

We could use it as a sort of "Portland 2," I guess, if we got a surge of newcomers and wanted them to have somewhere to go. Alternately, we could base it off of Babilar, where a powerful Epic controls the city but can't be bothered to rule it, so there's a bunch of gangs fighting all over the place.

I'm pretty sure an Epic goat would be nothing but a joke. :ph34r:

I'd also vote that if another location happens it should be a town with gang wars like Portland, mostly because for one I'm pretty sure we already overshoot our quota of cities that somehow manage to be utopias or at least very attractive and I think that they tend towards a power imbalance in favour of the government through most of people wanting to fit their characters into the setting.

And while you're thinking of party plans, I had a question. 

Lightwards' paranoia shows no sign of decreasing; if anything, it will increase exponentially as his number of deaths increases. Could he, at any point, be diagnosed with Hidey's Disease? 

In that case would he search for Ninja Brian? The greatest ninja left now that immortal ninja god Brian retired?

I'm pretty sure an Epic goat would be nothing but a joke. :ph34r:

I'd also vote that if another location happens it should be a town with gang wars like Portland, mostly because for one I'm pretty sure we already overshoot our quota of cities that somehow manage to be utopias or at least very attractive and I think that they tend towards a power imbalance in favour of the government through most of people wanting to fit their characters into the setting.

In that case would he search for Ninja Brian? The greatest ninja left now that immortal ninja god Brian retired?

I agree. For the next location, I think we should have a city were either no one is in charge and gangs duke it out, or where the ruler is so ineffective that it's basically anarchy. Or, we could have a city where the ruler has recently been killed and the succession war is doing more damage than the ruler ever did. 

Whatever the case, we need more hellholes like Portland. :ph34r: 

I for one think it would be a fitting end for Nighthound to succumb to Heidi's Disease. :P 

I agree. For the next location, I think we should have a city were either no one is in charge and gangs duke it out, or where the ruler is so ineffective that it's basically anarchy. Or, we could have a city where the ruler has recently been killed and the succession war is doing more damage than the ruler ever did. 

The ruler could activley encourage gang wars to prevent any single group from gaing enough power/influence.

The same way Lord Ruler did in Luthadel. Just don't allow any person writing from the rulers POV. Have him/her as a background character. 

The ruler could activley encourage gang wars to prevent any single group from gaing enough power/influence.

The same way Lord Ruler did in Luthadel. Just don't allow any person writing from the rulers POV. Have him/her as a background character. 

To be fair, that's kind of how Lucentia is running Astoriar. :ph34r: The loacation just never really took of. :unsure: ... and got sidetracked by the op.

:ph34r: Umm... right of course. I was... also joking when... I... responded to that

And then it turns out Mestive was serious. :mellow::ph34r:

Edited by Edgedancer

I for one think it would be a fitting end for Nighthound to succumb to Heidi's Disease. :P

I like the idea of no ruler. We've got three towns with clear rulers. Let's, when we do populate Eugene, have another Portland, one that's open for whatever waves of new players we get down the road.

To be fair, that's kind of how Lucentia is running Astoriar. :ph34r: The loacation just never really took of. :unsure: ... and got sidetracked by the op.

I thought Astoria was going well, just slow.

Well, I was just thinking about someone who didn't really care about what happened in the city. Like Regalia. I was sort of imagining an Epic called Riftwalker, whose powers were based off of killing monsters in some bizarre dimension only she could access. She would spend all her time exploring "The Rift" so it was only when someone was directly challenging her "regime" that she rifted out and attacked. She'd barely be mentioned otherwise.

Edited by Mckeedee123