What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

22 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

It gets past that fairly quick and on to some serious sci-fi. I read the entire series it's good and gets pretty deep towards the end of the series. 

got a couple more chapters in and the sci-fi is starting to develop.  also, I think when I posted before, I had finished the 1960's part of the plot (or at least the initial part, don't know if there are more) but hadn't started the next chapter yet

Thoroughly enjoying Malazan. I have about 200 pages to go on Deadhouse Gates and can't believe I never heard of it before coming to the Shard. 

How do other people cope with authors not putting out their works in a timely fashion? I don't mean to say that it drives my life and encompasses all my thoughts or anything that serious.... But anytime I'm reminded of ASOIAF or Kingkiller day 3 I think about how aggravating it is to have both authors doing everything in their power to not finish the next book. Then I think about how it hasn't been a full year or even 8 months since I read the last book in each series, and wonder how people who have been waiting over 6 years manage to not get too angry about it... Imagine Disney promised a new Star Wars movie every year at Xmas (not hard to believe.) Now imagine how upsetting it would be for Disney to not release that movie... For 5 years or more...  Citing work that still needs to be done, and all the while they are using the same studio for other works and projects. 

Kind of an off topic rant there, but I think I discovered that just mentioning it and writing it down did wonders for being able to let it go for a while. 

It's hard for me to say, because I'm not invested in series like that, so the closest I've been is an author saying "it'll take three years" and it comes out in three years. 

There is a dialectic you have to maintain. First, yes it does suck and you have a right to feel that way. Second, you have to understand you aren't entitled to a complete series. You have no contact, implied or explicit,  that the author owes you the next installment in a timely manner. 

While those two concepts combat each other in a Hegelian death/ life match: find new books and read them. If you have plenty to occupy your attention, the authors being total dweebs all of a sudden does not matter too much. 

10 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Thoroughly enjoying Malazan. I have about 200 pages to go on Deadhouse Gates and can't believe I never heard of it before coming to the Shard. 

Nice! The next one, Memories of Ice, is most fans favorite; although its my personal third (behind Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters).

Also, in regards to your other question, I just try not to think about it. There are many series I am following and favorites to reread; If after five years or so and another is released I will reread the previous one, to refresh my memory, and enjoy the book for what it is.

5 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Nice! The next one, Memories of Ice, is most fans favorite; although its my personal third (behind Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters).

Also, in regards to your other question, I just try not to think about it. There are many series I am following and favorites to reread; If after five years or so and another is released I will reread the previous one, to refresh my memory, and enjoy the book for what it is.

So humor me here cause I had what felt like a profound thought about the series while I was following the Chain of Dogs last night.... 

Spoiler

I had been assuming that the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" was going to be some super special sorcerer's spell book..... But it's not, is it? I would almost put $ on it that it has something to do with Duiker's tally of fallen soldiers or being an excerpt from his history books. 

Last thing I read about was Moby the new Azath Guardian. This series has already had a bunch of 'wait... What?' moments for me, where I'm flipping back to the last page in what amounts to a reader's double or triple take of the scene. 

That's pretty much what I figured with the active series. I've only been reading again for the last year or so out of the last 15 years, and I get about 5 hours of reading time at work every night. That being the case, I've plowed through to the present point of multiple series in the last few months. That's part of why I was so keen on starting Malazan. Lol, 10 books and something like 8,000 pages should last me a little longer than the average series. 

1 hour ago, AngelEy3 said:

So humor me here cause I had what felt like a profound thought about the series while I was following the Chain of Dogs last night.... 

Hide contents

I had been assuming that the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" was going to be some super special sorcerer's spell book..... But it's not, is it? I would almost put $ on it that it has something to do with Duiker's tally of fallen soldiers or being an excerpt from his history books. 

Last thing I read about was Moby the new Azath Guardian. This series has already had a bunch of 'wait... What?' moments for me, where I'm flipping back to the last page in what amounts to a reader's double or triple take of the scene. 

That's pretty much what I figured with the active series. I've only been reading again for the last year or so out of the last 15 years, and I get about 5 hours of reading time at work every night. That being the case, I've plowed through to the present point of multiple series in the last few months. That's part of why I was so keen on starting Malazan. Lol, 10 books and something like 8,000 pages should last me a little longer than the average series. 

You will find out why it is called Malazan Book of the fallen at the end of book 10 The Crippled God the answer is immensely rewarding and would involve getting to know a character you don't know yet, but has been mentioned briefly...so don't spoil yourself. Duiker is important at the end, but not in regards to why its called The Book of the Fallen.

Finished City of Miracles the final book in Bennetts trilogy. Its been getting really positive reviews, but I feel it fell short of the high standard the previous two books set. Here are my reasons:

Spoiler

Most of the book was Sigrud going into bisurker mode. It was fine in small doses, but just boring when it takes up most of the book. I thought he forced his liberal ideology into the book with the ending: a new all powerful god would be a detriment to society so lets give god-like powers randomly to people...bc that's a good idea. I imagine the God on this book would of turned out like the one in the mistborn books era 2. I'm fine with atheist philosophies; malazan is my favorite series and it has some very anti-religious parts....but this just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

21 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

your just at the tip of the ice berg to. Your gonna have a wild ride ahead but the best part is if you reread again in a few yrs your going to be even more amazed making connections in these early bks from much further in the series. Are you planning to just read the 10 bks 1st or are you going to incorporate Esslemonts bks as you go?

11 minutes ago, Briar King said:

your just at the tip of the ice berg to. Your gonna have a wild ride ahead but the best part is if you reread again in a few yrs your going to be even more amazed making connections in these early bks from much further in the series. Are you planning to just read the 10 bks 1st or are you going to incorporate Esslemonts bks as you go?

First mention I've heard of Esslemonts. What is that? 

4 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Ian C Esselmont aka ICE is the co creator with Steven and has written about 5-6 bks.

Is there some sort of recommended read order for all of them then? I was completely clueless about that and must investigate further. 

@AngelEy3 There is, but Esslemont books are divisive amongst some malazan fans. Personally I am not a fan of them (except his new prequel trilogy). I recommend reading all of Eriksons books first and then seeing if Esslemont is to your tastes. Other Malazan fan might tell you differently though...thats just my opinion.

Here I ll link the Malazan wikia link and you can peruse the different orders. There shouldn't be spoilers unless you click on individual book titles. Note I have only read ICE 1st bk Night of Knives which technically takes place before Gardens but fans recommend reading after bk 5. It is a very short book and lacks SE depth but I hear he really improved on each entry he has done.

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Suggested_reading_order

Ok I have a question. Because of my job I spend a lot of time in my car so most of my "reading" is audiobooks. I'm intrigued with the Malazan series but also intimidated because I've seen so many say it's not easy to follow. I'm the first to admit I retain more from actually reading than audiobooks. Would Malazan be a lost cause to listen to the audiobooks only?

Just now, StormingTexan said:

Ok I have a question. Because of my job I spend a lot of time in my car so most of my "reading" is audiobooks. I'm intrigued with the Malazan series but also intimidated because I've seen so many say it's not easy to follow. I'm the first to admit I retain more from actually reading than audiobooks. Would Malazan be a lost cause to listen to the audiobooks only?

I think so. Its a series that requires a lot of flipping back, rereading parts etc. I cannot imagine listening to audiobooks my first time through. Although maybe you have a different learning style than me? Or perhaps you are smarter? That's just my 2 cents.

12 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I would say don't easy. Read if you can.

4 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@StormingTexan I just thought of this. You could do audiobooks, but review the chapter later using the Tor Reread which provides a summary and analysis on every chapter. That would work i think

http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

Ok I have taken this approach on WoT when I got to points where something didn't make sense and I needed a refresher.

I'd love to read it but I just do not have much time to sit with a book and do so with work and being a dad. I may give the first couple books a shot and see how it goes.

I'd recommend publication order for Malazan.  Or that "Ultimate" order in the link is fine I suppose.  One of ICE's books, Return of the Crimson Guard, has incredibly big stuff happening.  It ends up not mattering too much in the remaining 3 Erikson books, but Erikson's books do spoil you on one big event that happens in RotCG.

Edited by Who Sharded?

On 5/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, StormingTexan said:

Speaking of Powder Mage I was looking for more "flintlock fantasy" and ran across Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler (is this his real name if so this is an awesome name!). Anyone read it? Thoughts? Looks interesting and apparently I like this sub-genre. 

I can't comment on Django Wexler and his writing since I haven't read any of it, but I do have a few recommendations for flintlock fantasy or historical fantasy:

His Majesty's Dragon and the rest of the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Napoleonic wars with dragons)

The Flux Engine by Dan Willis

Lincoln's Wizard by Tracy Hickman and Dan Willis

Jackaby by William Ritter (there are three books in the series so far)

42 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

I can't comment on Django Wexler and his writing since I haven't read any of it, but I do have a few recommendations for flintlock fantasy or historical fantasy:

His Majesty's Dragon and the rest of the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Napoleonic wars with dragons)

The Flux Engine by Dan Willis

Lincoln's Wizard by Tracy Hickman and Dan Willis

Jackaby by William Ritter (there are three books in the series so far)

I've read the Temeraire series and liked it too. Thanks for the recommendations I'll check those out.

On Monday, May 08, 2017 at 6:56 AM, StormingTexan said:

Edit: Speaking of Powder Mage I was looking for more "flintlock fantasy" and ran across Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler (is this his real name if so this is an awesome name!). Anyone read it? Thoughts? Looks interesting and apparently I like this sub-genre. 

I have read all of the shadow campaign series that is out and can vouch for the series. I actually enjoyed it more than powder mage.