Hardcover extras & goodies

PhilV

One of my favorite things about WoK (besides the content), is the obvious care that went into the design and production of the hardcover book. Maps are fairly standard in fantasy epics, and the illustrations are a wonderful addition that enhance the worldbuilding.

But the endpapers are just amazing (especially considering that they may be in-world artifacts, like the rest of the maps and illustrations), even if we don't yet know what they mean.

(Plus the little touches like the embossed logo of the Windrunners on the cover.)

So what do you think we will see for book two?

I'm guessing we will see the same world map of Roshar (most likely in every book), and I can hope for a similar number of illustrations throughout the text, but will it include the same diagram of orders and surges? The same map of Shadesmar? Or something different (and undoubtedly mysterious and intriguing)?

• 2 weeks later...

Please check this for TWoK illustrations, inclusive of the endpapers within the hardcover volume.  As well, I want to share the following from this, specifically that dated Thursday March 28, 2013 11:49am EDT (and I quote):

"The artwork on the endpapers isn't just decorative. There are important clues embedded in it.

On the border of the first two endpapers, there are ten faces. These faces also appear in the icons at the beginning of each chapter, and they seem to be classical representations (not necessarily portraits) of the ten heralds.

The first one has one version of what is later referred to as an hourglass symbol, composed of ten large and ten smalller interlinked circles. It is noteworth that three of the glyphs, if that is the proper word, als0 appear in the artwork beginning each of the parts.
These, in turn, appear to be decorative representations of swords.
This hourglass symbol is mentioned in several places as having important connections to the religion and mythology of Roshar.

The second, a map of the Silver Kingdoms, has ten kingdoms (probably no coincidence) and it's noteworthy that the names are all palindromes.

In the back endpapers, the map of Shadesmar appears to be almost an inverse image of Roshar, with seas where Roshar has land, and land where it has seas. Shadesmar is mentioned in the text, although not a lot of information is given about it.

On the last endpaper, another version of the hourglass symbol appears, with different (and colored) symbols in the circles. I have not been able to determine what these mean.

One could be suspected of thinking that Brandon, or at least the world of Roshar, is inordinately fond of symmetry."

While much of this may well be known amongst Cosmere theorists, I guess I just wanted to offer the images that provide "proof" of such connections for those who might not yet have made them, despite however much they might have read as yet.

1lg154library.gif

• 1 month later...

I read an interview with Brand Sand and he said out righ tthe only way they'd give him the full color maps on the inside covers was if they'd stay the same for the whole series.  It really shows and the book looks fantastic, it looks expensice too.  Can't wait to add another beautiful hardcover to my collection in January.

The endpaper will stay the same for the entire series, actually. Something to do with production costs or whatnot.

• 2 months later...

The "swordlike symbol" you talk about is a letter or glyph. It's part of the Alethi (or some) language from Roshar, though we currently don't have any way to determine what it means. As I understand, Brandon had Inkthinker create these symmetrical sword letters for use in language or glyphing of some form.

I feel that as we continue we may see things change in Roshar and Shadesmar, whether it be things being affected by the other or things moving from one to the other I do not know.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at these sword symbols and a search lead me here. 

What would be the hilts of each of these sword symbols looks remarkably similar to the symbols that represent the Orders of KR. Is it possible that they actually are sword hilts and each Order has Shardblades corresponding to their Order? I don't think it is so far fetched. 

They do indeed correspond to the symbols of the Radiant orders.  The one on the cover of TWoK is of course the symbol for the Windrunners.  I am less certain that they are also language glyphs unless Miyabi has a source to indicate otherwise.  As to their relation to shardblades, it should be noted that the blade on the cover of TWoK appears to be double-edged whereas Szeth's blade is described as double-edged as a contrast to typical shardblades.  Besides, if anything, I would expect that they would be representations of the Honorblades of each Herald associated with each order.  In the case of TWoK, that would be Jezrien.

To clarify a couple of things.  First, the sword glyphs are in fact words.  They're really complicated forms of the same glyphs mentioned throughout the book.  Don't expect to be able to read them though.... you just can't.   (Trust me on this one.  I've tried.  Not even Isaac can read them.)

Which actually brings me to my second point, which is that it was Isaac who created them, not Ink.  (Just a minor point of fact)

As for the fun goodies inside of the book... well, I can't wait to get the official book in my hand, and see if they're able to do half of what Brandon has been wanting to do.

Dude, even glyphs that I've made I can't read.  Partly because I keep on forgetting how they work....

Alethi is so much easier to understand.  Plus, it's tons of fun to write in!

I am so jealous that you know how to write in glyphs. That would be so cool. :D

Brandon has told us some things about them here: The larkin in the Rysn interlude readings from WoR seem remarkably similar and may be the Reshi equivalent of these Aimian beasts.

We don't know for sure how they relate to the KR. My personal theory is they are the Roshar equivalent of Atium and Lerasium based on this quote

Has it been noted that the art for the Interlude-1 looks to be a version of the KR Order mapping? The 10 circles arranged in that format. Has anyone found significance in that chapter that relates to the Order mapping?

For example, there is a circle connecting 8 of the 10 Orders, but the middle two are left out due to their being drawn toward the center. In addition, those lines appear to put emphasis on the relationship between opposite Orders. They could be very personal relationships similar to the "Jezrien is Shallash's father" connection.

Edited by bloodfalcon2

Has it been noted that the art for the Interlude-1 looks to be a version of the KR Order mapping? The 10 circles arranged in that format. Has anyone found significance in that chapter that relates to the Order mapping?

It's called the Double Eye. The Ars Arcanum has this:

The preceding list is an imperfect gathering of traditional Vorin symbolism associated with the Ten Essences. Bound together, these form the Double Eye of the Almighty, an eye with two pupils representing the creation of plants and creatures. This is also the basis for the hourglass shape that was often associated with the Knights Radiant.

So it's a really old symbol, but Vorin is still using it. Shallan's Devotary made her draw pictures of it.

I don't get what it has to do with the Purelake Interlude though. That's odd. Maybe it's a "generic" icon that gets used when nothing else fits.

For example, there is a circle connecting 8 of the 10 Orders, but the middle two are left out due to their being drawn toward the center. In addition, those lines appear to put emphasis on the relationship between opposite Orders. They could be very personal relationships similar to the "Jezrien is Shallash's father" connection.

If I am not mistaken, this symbol is the symbol of the radiants (collectively).  A representation of the radiant orders which harkens to the double-eye. 

Edit: it is also present on the doors of the Palanaeum.

Edited by Shardlet

• Chaos locked this topic