Ask Kipper (if that's really his name) Anything!

Kipper

Well, I haven't done a AMA myself because I did not think anyone would want to ask me questions... so I feel for your plight. Here are a few very generic ones for you...

I do not know you much, so what do you do in life (school, work, whatever), what is your favorite book, why, what kind of food do you absolutely hate and what is your favorite hobby?

Should give you something to write about.

Well, I haven't done a AMA myself because I did not think anyone would want to ask me questions... so I feel for your plight. Here are a few very generic ones for you...

I do not know you much, so what do you do in life (school, work, whatever), what is your favorite book, why, what kind of food do you absolutely hate and what is your favorite hobby?

Should give you something to write about.

1. School is a big thing, although it is currently out. I also work full-time at Chick-Fil-A, and like it a lot. I do sporadic arborist work.

2. Hoo boy. Hard to answer this one.

A. Warbreaker, by Brandon Sanderson

B. The Quadrail Series, by Timothy Zahn

C. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

D. The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli

E. Anything else by the above mentioned authors, plus Andrew Clements. For the ideas, humor, passion, and sheer literary eloquence of all of them.

F. Certain works of philosophy, whose names escape me.

3. Pickles. Blech. Also, the last time I ate mac and cheese, I barfed eight times the next day, so I now get physically nauseous when I see it.

4. Thinking about and analyzing philosophy, ethics, and political theory, to be honest. It gives me energy. Also working out and hanging with friends.

Where did you get the name Kipper from?

God gave it to me....

That aside, the name just appeals to me for some reason. I like words that start with "K," the word sounds cool, and it sounds similar to "chipper," a word I also like.

Edited by Kipper

Your name reminds me of this

Kipper.jpg

...yes...we do not speak of that thing here.

What is more fundamental, the natural world, or the world of Platonic Ideals?

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand the question. "Fundamental" in what way? I will agree with Aristotle and support the natural world, but I may be misunderstanding the question.

91b9685162bf3e800273a4bef0405cbd.jpg

Are Pokémon and ponies not cool?! Buck up, King of Kobolds. :lol: Edited by Kipper

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand the question. "Fundamental" in what way? I will agree with Aristotle and support the natural world, but I may be misunderstanding the question.

Fundamental in terms of reality. Which world is more real, the atoms making up a chair or the Chair Ideal of which the particular chair is but a shadow?

I'm not really looking for a specific answer. I just wanted to ask you something that I thought you'd enjoy answering, since you said you liked philosophy. :)

Edited by skaa

Are you going to answer my PM? :).

What question are you hoping that a) someone asks you and b ) no on asks you?

1. Yes. I didn't realize you had responded.

a. I'm not sure.

b. The question you just asked. It's too hard to answer.

Is your profile pic a ponified waterbear?

That is a question for Winter. She was the one who made it. I was under the impression at the time that she was ponifying Snoopy (one of my old identities), but I could be wrong.

Yes. How did you know?

Edited by Kipper

1. I said I would answer questions, not do research. :P Whatever Wikipedia says, I agree with it.

Tardigrades (also known as waterbears or moss piglets)[2][3][4] are water-dwelling, segmented micro-animals, with eight legs.[2] They were first discovered by the German pastor Johann August Ephraim Goeze in 1773. The name Tardigrada (meaning "slow stepper") was given three years later by the Italian biologist Lazzaro Spallanzani.[5] Since 1778, over 1,150 tardigrade species have been identified.

Tardigrades can survive in extreme environments. For example, they can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water (100 °C), pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space. They can go without food or water for more than 10 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.[3][6][7][8] They are not considered extremophilic because they are not adapted to exploit these conditions. This means that their chances of dying increase the longer they are exposed to the extreme environments,[5] whereas true extremophiles thrive in a physically or geochemically extreme condition that would harm most other organisms.[3][9][10]

Usually, tardigrades are about 0.5 mm (0.020 in) long when they are fully grown.[2] They are short and plump with four pairs of legs, each with four to eight claws also known as "disks".[2] The animals are prevalent in mosses and lichens and feed on plant cells, algae, and small invertebrates. When collected, they may be viewed under a very-low-power microscope, making them accessible to students and amateur scientists.[11]

Tardigrades form the phylum Tardigrada, part of the superphylum Ecdysozoa. It is an ancient group, with fossils dating from 530 million years ago, in the Cambrian period.[12]

2. The "ozone hole" is a seasonal phenomenon that only occurs during a few months out of every year, only over Antarctica. ALERT: OFF GOPIC RAMBLINGS AHEAD It existed before CFC's were banned, and the ban did not do much at all to help the ozone hole. Also, since not many people live in Antarctica, and scientists have not been able to show a link between certain skin diseases and the "ozone hole," the ban of CFCs doesn't help much. However, it does hurt people in developing countries by not allowing them access to cheap and advanced technologies that help out a lot. World leaders have teamed up to ban CFCs to mitigate a problem that existed before CFCs did. Doesn't make much sense to me. *steps off stump*