World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

I just can't see Sadeas as short.

And here's my weird one...

When I first read Mistborn, I saw the Inquisitors' eye spikes as being about six inches wide and two feet long. It took me a loooong time to get that straightened out in my brain.

I just can't see Sadeas as short.

When I first read Mistborn, I saw the Inquisitors' eye spikes as being about six inches wide and two feet long. It took me a loooong time to get that straightened out in my brain.

huh, i can see the inquisitors getting stuck when going through doors...

Me to, only bigger. You should've seen my face the first time I saw an Inquisitor Cosplay with tiny little nails through the eyes.

It's all good, I really shouldn't be so thin skinned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                                            

Adolin has black hair. I will not be persuaded otherwise.

Chips are smaller than marks which are smaller than broams.

Shallan is ~5'2".

Kaladin has brown hair.

No Alethi wears a beard. Ever.

The Alethi are Europeans with a bit of tan, and Sigzil is half Polynesian and half Caucasian.

I have always seen Syl as a glowing yellow/gold color instead of blue (or the green that seems to be prominent). I swear there's a wallpaper somewhere that illustrates perfectly how I think of her, but for the life of me, I cannot find it. (Could be another figment of my imagination that my mind is determined is real when it's not)

For anybody that reads Berserk though, I've often likened Syl to Evarella and Puck.

Dalinar wearing unmatching pyjamas tops and bottoms???? SCANDAL.

Never ever. And the pj trousers have a perfectly crisp ironed seams down each leg (just as well that I don't do his ironing!)

For some reason Amaram is always white, and Adolin's skintone varies, even when I get everyones skin color right.

Maybe because Amaran has some pretty unpleasant ideas about things like eye-colour?

like assuming a brown eyed Herald must be in disguise because there couldn't possibly be such a thing.

I know a lot of the light-eyes do but it seems more sinister when he expresses those views - like most light-eyes go along with the accepted reasoning but, when challenged, acknowledge that it's silly. Amaran embraces that sort of elitism / fundamentalism.

I've realised something else: I have to actively correct my brain that HONOR is not a spelling mistake! Most American books are reprinted with British English spelling when they're published over here but none (as far as I'm aware) of Sanderson's books have been. And, of course, even if they had then Honor, as a name, would remain that spelling anyway. But that doesn't stop muttering that it should be honoUr (and coloUr in Warbreaker).

Edited by Mrs.K.Stormblessed

Elantris

I don't know that it's ever stated, but I'm reasonably sure Seons are all the same color. Not in my headcanon, however. Despite no one ever giving any Aon a specific color, to me Ashe is red, Opa is a pale blue, and Ien is white.

Edited by Oudeis

I always thought the Herdazians were Latinos... . With all the cousins. My mom acts like Lopens too!!!!

I listened to the audiobook, and there, Herdazians have an accent that sounds kinda Australian, so that's how I picture it. Also, I thought for the longest time that Jasnah was spelled Yasnah.

Warbreaker

I don't know that it's ever stated, but I'm reasonably sure Seons are all the same color. Not in my headcanon, however. Despite no one ever giving any Aon a specific color, to me Ashe is red, Opa is a pale blue, and Ien is white.

That is Elantris

Warbreaker

Do you do that with words and letters too? I end up giving colors to words and letters.

I always imagined the lighteyes having blue, green or pale eyes, and the darkeyes with hazel or brown/black eyes. Shallan confirmed this picture for me with her green eyes. Until...

Kaladin mentions that Amaram has light brown eyes! The distinction between lighteyes and darkeyes must be slimmer than I had thought.

Actualy, it is not slimmer, it is just that Rosharans have eye colors that don't exist on earth, like light yellow or dark violet. The difference is that lighteyes have gemstone light eye colors and darkeyes have almost black eye colors.

Hazel and other intermediarie eye colors don't seem to exist on Roshar.

Also, more misconceptions:

For me Szeth is so pale his skin is the same color as his clothes. Maybe it was the guard asking "What are you, spirit or man?", and now he looks like a ghost to me.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I imagine that Dalinar looks similar to Davos Seaworth from Game of Thrones, despite Brandon saying that Dalinar doesn't have a beard... 

post-14724-0-78871400-1433593831_thumb.j

Rock looks like Barret from Final Fantasy VII, I've recently noticed when re-reading Way of Kings that Rock has red hair, so I'm trying my best to change my mental image

post-14724-0-91505600-1433593855_thumb.j

Edited by Ashir

Elantris

I see them as all being yellowish, basically the same color as an incandescent light bulb when it is on, maybe a little bit paler than that

Syl is pale green and kind of transparent, in a wispy sort of way.  Pattern is black ink.

Don't know, offhand, how he is described in the book, but I see Sadeas as wearing yellow and black.  he is also shortish, not fat, but not exactly thin, with a goatee and short, greased back, black hair, and light mediterranean skin tones.  His wife is taller and thin, and darker.

Edited by Dunkum

What do you mean Vorinism isn't the only religion on Roshar?And there are other kingdoms besides Alethekar, Kharbaranth and Shinovar? What?

Seriously; Lift's interlude, and Azir, threw me for a complete loop the first time I read it.

Ivory is a tiny little man with a moustache, tuxedo, bow tie, top hat, monocole and cane. A pocket sized victorian gentleman, made out of black ink...oh and a high class British accent. 

Yet in the book, i'm sure he is only described as having a suit and long coat. My mind must have added the rest. 

Ivory is a tiny little man with a moustache, tuxedo, bow tie, top hat, monocole and cane. A pocket sized victorian gentleman, made out of black ink...oh and a high class British accent.

Yet in the book, i'm sure he is only described as having a suit and long coat. My mind must have added the rest.

I can't unsee Ivory pointing out the painspren to Jasnah with a old-gentleman British accent.

"Harmmore." *fixes monocle* "Very harmmore."

Edited by natc

Ivory is a tiny little man with a moustache, tuxedo, bow tie, top hat, monocole and cane. A pocket sized victorian gentleman, made out of black ink...oh and a high class British accent. 

Yet in the book, i'm sure he is only described as having a suit and long coat. My mind must have added the rest.

^Yes. This is me as well.