Featured Forum Members.

Silverblade5

Past featured members

The archives have outgrown this one post and have been moved to here.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/29461-featured-forum-members/?p=362782

Rubix

1. <-------
2. Josh
3. The Way of Kings. The world building, the characters, the story that it's building. Oh, and it introduced me to my wife. ;)
4. I keep the staff in check, and when I need to, I don the hammer of justice and the fire extinguisher of peace. 

5. Eric telling me that it was live for testing?
6. Depends. I spend less of my time on the site itself, and more time dealing with the behind the scenes stuff. On an average day, I'm maybe on the site for a half hour. If there's an issue that's popped up on the site that needs my attention, on the other hand, sometimes it's more than eight.

7. It's less of a single event, and more of a group of events. There are times when we have moderation issues, and I write up a PM, explaining what the member has done wrong. The best thing for me is them coming back and saying that they'll correct the behavior, and then putting my feedback into place. Sadly, that's the minority. (Oh, and trolling people. Can't forget that. ;) )
8. Writing stories in which the prose doesn't get in the way. As much as I love some contemporary fantasy authors works, I prefer a narrative that I can just fall into, as opposed to getting distracted by how pretty the sentences are.

9. The "He's totally dead for really guys, wait, JK, no he isn't" fake out. I actually have a hard time trusting the narrative when it tells me that someone is dead. Because Brandon has a track record that indicates that they most certainly are not.

10. Kaladin. He actually has a couple of the mental health issues that I suffer from myself, so I've identified with him for quite a while.

11. I'm going to echo Mi'ch in her thanks for making this site amazing. This site is nothing without its members, and you guys are awesome. I'd love to start a candid dialogue between me and the members of the site, in the form of an AMA. If you're interested, just shoot me a PM. If I get a few of them, I'll get one started. And I promise, I won't be trolling.

First Rainbow Rose

1: http://www.17thshard...stuff/emmy2.jpg(Yes, those are me holding two Emmys.)

2: Mi'chelle Walker

3: I have to chose just one book? Is that possible? I'll tell you my favorite movie, which is The Slipper and the Rose. By way of books, I don't have a favorite one, but I do enjoy romance fantasy by way of genre, and tend to be drawn towards faerie tale retellings.

4: My main contribution to the community would be in being the butt of all the jokes, I think. ;D Honestly though, aside from being part of the managing team, I don't do a ton in the day to day life of the site.

5: I'll share instead of why I joined, why I wanted the forums to be created. Forever ago there was a friend of mine who was talking about how the Alcatraz series was great but kind of forgotten. I mentioned the fact that I wished there was a place that celebrated all of Brandon's works instead of just the cosmere works. This prompted a prequel site, but it was the main idea that started the process of getting 17S made.

6: On the site? Um... a couple of hours a day. Dealing with the site... I'm not sure. More though.

7: Honestly, I think my fondest memory doesn't take place on the site, but is simply getting to meet so many awesome people at the signings. (Though, a close second is the night that Josh took away the upvotes. Some of the reactions were quite amusing.)

8: Oomph. I think he does a great job of addressing all of the things I would want to see a character do. I remember when I read Elantris one of the things I would always rave about is how you would see some twists coming (I totally knew how to fix the Aons as soon as Sarene said that they reflected the land), yet there were still twists that surprised you (such as that not being the complete fix.) Even still, ten+ years later I still am surprised by some of the twists he pulls, and love that he's exhausted all of the options I wanted in the process.

9: His romances. They're sweet, but you never truly see any of the building. (Mind, as I recall Steris and Wax do break this rule. I really need to re-read those books...)

10: Abby from NCIS, Melody from Rhythmatist, some parts of Shallan, and I would love to think a faerie tale princess (usually some combination of Belle and Cinderella). Basically, bright and bubbly, over the top girly, cutesy, crazy polite (like, I get accused of being a robot while talking to people on the phones at work because I sound so polite and sunshiny.)

11: Thank you all for making this site amazing. Seriously, I look at some of the numbers we pull in each month, and I am astounded by what I hear, but those wouldn't be possible with each one of you. Also, thank you for choosing me. That feels pretty awesome, I'm not going to lie.

Morzathoh

1. Provide a picture (if you are comfortable with that).

Problem with not having facebook, or a social life, there are no pictures of you... that said here is one from halloween like two years ago where I am just... clowning around.

Spoiler
uyv32CN.jpg

2. Provide your real name (if you are comfortable with that).

I could tell you, but if you manage to pronounce it it will open a hole in time and space, drive you insane and summon creatures that your brain will interpret as three headed birds with one face that looks like a clown, one that looks like a lion and one that looks like a famous actor, the truth is way more horrifying. The name in the legal papers however could be shortened to Matt and that is about as much as I will tell you.

3. Which book is your favorite and why?

I have probably mentioned this before, but after being tired of books for a couple years I mostly read manga, creepy pasta and Lovecraft until this year, now there are fantasy books everywhere... I need to put all the Harry Potter somewhere else...

Anyway, manga. My top 4 are Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (At least watch the anime, no, really, you have to), Battle Angel Alita, Dorohedoro and Berserk. They all get kinda violent (Especially the final 2) so if you happen to be sensitive... dont do yourself the disservice of looking them up, especially not the final 2. No, really, if you read Berserk and come crying to me Im not giving you any sympathy, I warned you. And dont read anything by Matsumoto Jiro either. I may as well mention that as I am already using reverse psychology to ruin your life.

As for creepy pasta... I guess this will be the link heavy part. If any of you enjoy my stories, these are the people I am trying to emulate.

Slimebeast is a genius and I try, and mostly fail to be this good.

is brilliant as well. Just dont try to find any sense or meaning in any of his stories.

who really needs to stop being gone from the face of the world and come back to terrify us all. Yes Dead Palette is very similar to her.

And then we have this little classic...

And

, who do radio plays out of creepy pasta.

Ok thats enough links no one will click. Oh yeah my favorite Lovecraft story is The Color Out of Space.

Ah yes books... My favorite Sanderson series is Mistborn in general. Name of the Wind is great... you know I just started reading again this year so I am really just catching up.

4. What have been your main contributions to the community? What are you known for?

Im the weird, coolcreepy guy, right? The one who writes scary stuff, jokes about death and surreal things. And greatly disturbs Delightful.

5. What made you join the forum?

Partly because this Brandon guy is really awesome, partly because I am really bored.

6. How many hours do you spend on the shard on a given day?

I usually have it up in the backround, so most of them?

7. Describe your fondest Forum experience.

There was that one time Twi came to the conclusion that I am not a pancake mix, which made about as much sense in context as it does out of it. No, it actually made less sense in context. Hows that Twi? You managed to make less sense in context.

Then there is posting my stories and people finding them readable, thats nice too.

8. What is one thing that Brandon does really well?

He is fantastic at all those things a story needs. Plot, characters, world building. The fact that he has cool magic systems makes everything even better.

9. What is one thing that he could work on?

I always have a bit of a problem with romance (because reasons, I could make a list, none of you want to read that), but I think it feels a but artificial. Vin and Elend seemed kind of off to me, but I can accept it, she was the main character, Elend was cool, they were a funny couple. Now Breeze what are you doing? And Sazed you barely knew her!

He also has some pacing issues at times. A lot of his books are slow until you get to the meat. (Vivenna I am looking at you, stop being stubborn and learn how to awaken already)

I realize that was a lot of writing on the negative parts... Brandon is so awesome that when he is less awesome it sticks out.

An opposite is that horrible slasher You're Next. It had two good parts among the absolute crem it was. The main character was awesome and it made me laugh like 3 times. (I guess that paragraph was just an excuse to talk about how much I hate that movie)

10. Which fictional character is the best representation of yourself?

The problem with this question is that I have characters I want to be like, but I am not really like them at all.

For example I want to say The Doctor, but that is not really true. I want to say Kelsier, but not really.

There are a lot of Brandons characters I see myself in. I realize how frustrating I must have been when I was depressed when I see Kaladin, and yet I understand him, I am sarcastic and I try to be logical like Jasnah, but I'll go with Hoid. I am cryptic and annoying.

... but you could all totally see me as The Master, right?

11. Any additional comments, whether it be about your life outside of the forum, favorite food, your website, or...anything!

Welll... a couple things I guess

You are all really awesome, even the ones of you who dont think they are awesome, especially the ones who give me awesome ideas... and then let me steal those awesome ideas even if they could have used those themselves...

I really should set up a website or something, so I can freak out more of the internet and maybe get a non-terrible microphone so I can be sarcastic on youtube and everyone will hate me and it will be awesome. I always wanted to get death threats. So that may happen, the year just started, I am alive so far.

Did anyone actually click that sea of links/look up any of that stuff I mentioned? I take no responsibility for time wasted and sanity lost.

I almost always typo that as taht so I petition that we should officially change the spelling to taht.

Was this interesting? Did I rant too much? I always rant too much... Thanks to everyone who voted for me!

The Knights Awkward

According to The Honor Spren...

1. I would like to say that we're known for putting the forum above all else, but what we're actually known for is probably something like cookies that taste like characters and our lack of knowledge about personal space.

2. I am afraid I don't know, but I've heard it was because of something that happened in Brandon Discussion.

3. We all like books. And not being bothered by other people. One of the great reasons to live on a hill in a castle in the rain. We are founded on the idea of putting books and the forum above all else.

4. You just have to make a spectacular entrance and say the words. That's about it. Bonus points if you fall flat on your face during the process.

5. To defeat popularity!

6. The invention of bookies, and the discovering of the Elantris 25th edition. (We still have no idea how it got there. I'm telling you we have s time traveler on our hands.  :P)

7. "THE POTATO WILL RULE ALL!!" *throws one on the ground and hops through the portal it creates*

8. People read books and fall on their faces. We generally huddle in corners, while a few people awkwardly cause shenanigans. Personal space is ignored, thereby making things even more awkward.

9. WE WILL GIVE THEM ALL LIFELESS SQUIRREL BOOKIES AND MAKE THEM OBEY OUR EVERY WORD . . . After we finish reading Words of Radiace for the 42nd time.

According to Winter Cloud...

1.  Um, Nerdiness 

2. A long time ago, in "You know you're a sanderfan when"

3. Nerdiness! Reading! Being - er- socially weird! 17th Sharding! 

4. Post in our thread while doing something awkward 

5. Be weird

6. Origin of bookies, cookies from book characters when you feel like the character. Swearing of oaths. 

7. Our odd oaths, the bookies

8. We read. And be awkward. And read. 

9. Will put later.

According to Amrynn...

4. Say the words, "Books before friends. 17th Shard before the real world. Release dates before birthdays." And sometimes choose an order to join. For example, I am a Forumlurker.
6. There was a time long ago when a bookshelf crashed outside. But I think that the bookies may be a more prolific event because they have spilled into the "introduce yourself" thread.
7. Bookies for sure. This probably doesn't qualify as a joke, but there's a lot of falling down and standing way too close when greeting newcomers and visitors.
8. Well, depending on who's active at any given day, there seems to be a good amount of exploding/portal-making potatoes and/or beardnuts.

According to Mistrunner...

What is your group associated with?

Awkwardness. And books. And food. We read the books whilst being awkward and eating food. It's the life, I'm telling you.

When did your group begin to coalesce?

Well, I made a post in "You Know You're A Sanderfan When" a while ago about how I have no social life. (It's here.) It kinda took off, and the Knights Awkward just about made themselves. We get new members every once in a while, and occasionally we get a whole group joining. It's fun.

What common interests do you tend to share, above and beyond what your group is founded upon?

Food, mainly. Who doesn't like food? There was a thing with potatoes a while back. Quite interesting, that.

How does one go about joining your group?

You say the Ideals of the Knights Awkward, and I basically say "Welcome to our weirdness." Pretty simple, really.  :P We're all about awkwardness, though, so be prepared to get some people falling off of beanbags (somehow) in shock or excitement.

What long-term goals do you have?

...I've never really thought about that. Goals... I can't even make goals in real life. Um. To keep being the Awkward Fortress of the forums?

Are there any notable moments during the life of your group? 

Well, when I originally started it I was pretty new to the site. I thought it would just kinda be a thing where people would post stuff like "Oh yeah, I'm pretty awkward too," and share awkward experiences. But people started showing up and RPing, and I realized "Oh, this is what a guild is all about." I honestly had no idea that's what would happen, but it turned out a thousand times cooler than I thought. Yet more proof that the Shard makes everything and anything cooler.

Any inside jokes or memes you'd like to share? 

Bookies. They're cookies... for books. The Reshi Islander bookie, for example, makes you feel relaxed and happy, but leaves you with a tendency to take off your shirt. The Sarene bookie would make it easier to come up with witty comments and participate in theological debate. You do not want a Sadeas bookie.

That and a meme was made that named me Awkwardmother.  :P I was very proud of that.

Describe a typical day in your group.

What is this 'typical'? We're very, very random, and 'typical' means some strange sort of emergency (once a bookshelf crashed into the stables, I think) and ends with reading of books. We searched for the twenty-fifth anniversary edition of Elantris (it was never found- we should look for it again). We bake strange bookies and read books- again. We've got comfy couches and beanbags upon which to sit and read more books. We're a wild bunch.

Describe your group's plans for world domination. Use charts, graphs, and other visual references as needed.  Bonus points if your plan involves airships or cloning dinosaurs.

If I reveal my plans here, they'll never work! They must be secret. But, *sigh,* if you insist, I can share our projections for dinosaur conversion by usage of spaceship-attracting radio signals sent into deep space.

Spoiler 

From there, we can get on with our more ambitious programs of dinosaur cloning. It's a very complex subject.

Edited by Silverblade5

Unfeatured nominees who make good candidates for voting:

1 MrMistborn
1 gamma
2 Moogle
1 Feather writer
3 Rubix
3 Gamma Fiend
1 Chaos
1 TwiLightSanSparkles
1 Argent
5 Mailliw5

1 Herd

2 Reckoners RPG

Edited by Silverblade5

This thread could be dangerous...

I must hide some of my equipment and projects

Not that Denizens of the Dark Alley have ANYTHING to hide...

Edited by Fatebreaker

I'd like to put in my vote for TwiLyghtSansSparkles. In addition to being one of the most popular members with one of the highest post counts, she is also kind, witty, intelligent, and respected by countless forum-goers.

Off the top of my head:

• She founded the extremely popular Reckoners RPG which continues to draw in new players all the time;
  • She has been highly active on the "Having a Bad Day" thread, where she can always be found comforting and speaking words of kindness towards those going through a rough time;
  • She is a brilliant theorizer who nonetheless accepts evidence against her theories with a good attitude;
  • She is absolutely hilarious, responsible for some of the wittiest and most rib-tickling posts I've seen on the forum.

While all of our members are wonderful, there's no doubt that TwiLyght has contributed an abnormal amount of awesomeness to these boards. This is an individual who has made the community far brighter by her presence, and she deserves a bit of extra recognition. :)

I nominate Kobold because of that /\

Note: If there's a week where I don't get any votes for anyone, I'll automatically go with leftover votes from previous weeks. If there aren't any of these, I'll go with who has the highest rep.

Edited by Silverblade5

I nominate Brandon Sanderson for his dedication to his fans and his work, and delivering AMAZING books books in a short period of time, but still maintaining UNBELIEVABLE quality. And, may I point out that that he's the reason why we're all here, and how we even met each other and made all these friends.

I nominate Brandon Sanderson for his dedication to his fans and his work, and delivering AMAZING books books in a short period of time, but still maintaining UNBELIEVABLE quality. And, may I point out that that he's the reason why we're all here, and how we even met each other and made all these friends.

Very true, but it might be a teensy bit difficult to get him to answer Silverblade's interview questions. ;):P

Fixed

Awesome. Now just to read what it was, and--

Oh Stormfather. I already knew, but seeing out in the open again... :o

But no. This is Twi's moment to shine. I can't ruin it with my prudishness!

I'd like to shake your virtual hand for your victory, Twi. Just... not the left one.

Edited by Kobold King

Awesome. Now just to read what it was, and--

Oh Stormfather. I already knew, but seeing out in the open again... :o

But no. This is Twi's moment to shine. I can't ruin it with my prudishness!

I'd like to shake your virtual hand for your victory, Twi. Just... not the left one.

How uncouth!

I go for WeiryWriter. Weiry goes through an incredible amount of work to find, transcribe, and input WoB into the Database for all to use. It's a serious time commitment, with not a lot of thanks. 

Thanks Weiry. You're awesome!

OP has now been updated to include people who were nominated, but didn't quite make the cut. That being said, they were only nominated this week. Don't forget to vote. Every one counts, and Each person is currently tied at one. This section will also include a scoreboard of sorts, and votes from previous weeks shall still be counted.

I go for WeiryWriter. Weiry goes through an incredible amount of work to find, transcribe, and input WoB into the Database for all to use. It's a serious time commitment, with not a lot of thanks. 

Thanks Weiry. You're awesome!

I second this, weiry is a saint. I also nominate Zach for his amazing work on the interviews and just genuinely being a fantastic person.