Will dalinar become a radiant?

king of nowhere

On roshar, you can gain power by acting and thinking a certain way. Kaladin got his power by his honorable actions. He attracted an honorspren.

Dalinar also behaved extremely honorable in the last 5 yeears, and giving away a shardblade is a very big mark on it. What is the chance of him attracting an honorspren too?

Some of us think he may have already attracted a spren.

You might enjoy this thread.

I think I would have noticed if he had some powers like kaladin. he got plenty of pow in the book, and never any hint of sudden spikes of new strenght, fast healing, stuff dodging him, or spheres going dun.

Some people mentioned some special effect with his plate, but I'm not sure. szeth said plate conflicts with windrunner's abilities and that's why he don't use one.

Also, I think with the life he led before his brother's death, a honorspren wouldn't have been attracted when he started to change.

Giving away a blad may have made the difference, and is by far the most honorable act he did to date.

So, I think if he's going to attract a spren, that is something that just happened, not something happened before.

I think I would have noticed if he had some powers like kaladin.

Well there's the Highstorm visions, which are extremely similar to Kaladin's Highstorm vision of riding the storm.

he got plenty of pow in the book, and never any hint of sudden spikes of new strenght, fast healing, stuff dodging him, or spheres going dun.

He's usually wearing Plate so you wouldn't really notice, and he does seem to be better at using the plate than most.

Some people mentioned some special effect with his plate, but I'm not sure. szeth said plate conflicts with windrunner's abilities and that's why he don't use one.

But he's not a Surgebinder like Kaladin anyway, plus if Dalinar doesn't know that he's Surgebinding then he wouldn't notice, and further explains his lack of demonstration of abilities while in battle.

There's quite a bit here. His relationship w/a spren is not as far along as Kaladin's with Syl. It seems comparable to when Kaladin was fighting back in Alethkar (thank you Voidus). Syl was playing tricks on him, trying to get noticed and yet he was doing incredible things.

I think I would have noticed if he had some powers like kaladin. he got plenty of pow in the book, and never any hint of sudden spikes of new strenght,

The two scenes where his armor seems to glow are the Chasmfiend fight and when he saves Kaladin and his crew by wiping out some Parshendi archers. If you don't find a hint that he got some special strength in the Chasmfiend scene, your copy must be very different than mine.

fast healing, stuff dodging him, or spheres going dun.

The fast healing goes with infusing, which may or may not be something his order does (some people think he will be Resolute/Builder). The stuff dodging Kaladin seems to be a lashing, which would be a windrunner (and one other order) thing. Since Dalinar is wearing armor that is full of charged gems, I'm not sure we would notice if he was drawing a bit of stormlight himself. Kaladin tends to have only a few smaller gems, so their dun-ness is much more noticeable. All of this could also be said of Kaladin when he was in Amaram's army and Syl was hanging out w/him.

Szeth is not getting his abilities from a spren. Some think his Oathstone is the source of his abilities, others think it's his sword. The Radiants in Dalinar's visions seemed to be able to use their abilities when wearing their armor.

Also, I think with the life he led before his brother's death, a honorspren wouldn't have been attracted when he started to change.

Well, o-kay. I'm certainly no spren psychologist, but if a spren found something he was doing over the last six years attractive, I don't know that they might not stick around. I don't even know that a spren would be aware of his previous history.

Giving away a blad may have made the difference, and is by far the most honorable act he did to date.

So, I think if he's going to attract a spren, that is something that just happened, not something happened before.

It's possible. We'll see. I can't wait for Stormlight 2!

Edited by hoser

To be honest I think he's going to die. He's just too honorable to go anywhere else, and it's not like Szeth is going to back down.

Well he does have his own Windrunner bodyguard, I don't see Kal just giving up or getting beaten by Szeth, my guess is either Szeth dies and only becomes important posthumously or something about the return of the Radiants frees Szeth from being Truthless.

Well he does have his own Windrunner bodyguard, I don't see Kal just giving up or getting beaten by Szeth, my guess is either Szeth dies and only becomes important posthumously or something about the return of the Radiants frees Szeth from being Truthless.

Actually, that is a bit of a puzzle to me trying to figure out what will happen.

Szeth will come and try to kill dalinar, protected by kaladin.

Szeth is not going to back down unless he has killed his target or has been killed himself.

I think brandon said somewhere that book 4 will be dedicated to szeth, so szeth will definitely survive. anyway, I don't see his character being set up that way only to make him die in book 2.

Also kalaadin and dalinar's story make no sense if one of them is going to die. well, maybe dalinar could die at this point and pass his legacy to his sons. but i don't see it.

so it's a deadly confrontation where, from a story perspective, none can die.

I'm waiting to see the trick pulled out of the hat.

Unless book 2 will take place in a limited amount of time and szeth will not arrive in the shattered plains before book 3 or 4

Actually, that is a bit of a puzzle to me trying to figure out what will happen.

Szeth will come and try to kill dalinar, protected by kaladin.

Szeth is not going to back down unless he has killed his target or has been killed himself.

I think brandon said somewhere that book 4 will be dedicated to szeth, so szeth will definitely survive. anyway, I don't see his character being set up that way only to make him die in book 2.

Also kalaadin and dalinar's story make no sense if one of them is going to die. well, maybe dalinar could die at this point and pass his legacy to his sons. but i don't see it.

so it's a deadly confrontation where, from a story perspective, none can die.

I'm waiting to see the trick pulled out of the hat.

Unless book 2 will take place in a limited amount of time and szeth will not arrive in the shattered plains before book 3 or 4

The problem is that BS already said that just because a book is 'dedicated' to a character, it doesn't mean they will survive until that book.

He flat out said it at a recent signing, he explained that books 'dedicated' to a character are just their backstory, and that flashbacks are easily done after said character is dead.

I think brandon said somewhere that book 4 will be dedicated to szeth, so szeth will definitely survive.

Not necessarily, I think I remember Brandon saying that he could still do a flashback book even if a character's dead. Plus Dalinar gets a book too don't forget.

I just feel that his character arc has passed the peak, and that there really isn't anywhere else to go with him. Yes, Kaladin is a Windrunner, but so is Szeth, who also has a Shardblade and years more of experience with both. Kaladin's life cannot continue as it is, being nice and happy with the one honorable person in the world. Dalinar has to die.

I just feel that his character arc has passed the peak, and that there really isn't anywhere else to go with him. Yes, Kaladin is a Windrunner, but so is Szeth, who also has a Shardblade and years more of experience with both. Kaladin's life cannot continue as it is, being nice and happy with the one honorable person in the world. Dalinar has to die.

Not necessarily, the major conflict of the book has really just barely begun. Such conflict could present vast amounts of opportunities for character arcs to progress in unforeseen ways.

I think I would have noticed if he had some powers like kaladin. he got plenty of pow in the book, and never any hint of sudden spikes of new strenght, fast healing, stuff dodging him, or spheres going dun.

I always thought that when Dalinar caught the chasm fiend's claw he was using stormlight.

I don't have the books in front of me but didn't Adolin say it was more strength than even shardplate could handle and that he seemed to be glowing. It also explains how Elhokar's gems broke in his Shard Plate.

Except Kaladin has already taken down a full Shardbearer without even using any Windrunner abilities, and has taken down another without using much Stormlight, Szeth may have a bit more experience than Kal but he hasn't exactly been practising all the time I doubt he'd outstrip him by much, plus Kaladin seems to be stronger than Szeth in raw ability, he held his stormlight for longer and most importantly they have the element of surprise, everyone knows that Szeth has unnatural Windrunner abilities, the second he bursts in everyone knows he's dangerous, Szeth would have no idea that that random darkeyed spearman is just as powerful as he is and a master of the spear to boot. My money is on Kaladin all the way on this one, especially if he any other Shardbearers are there to help out.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I really hope dalinar survives until the end, or close enough. ayway, dalinar's arc is far from coomplete; he just became highprince of war. That will at least stopping him from dieing at the beginning of the book...

Oh and don't forget that Jasnah and Shallan arrive at around the same time as Szeth, 3 (possibly 4 if Dalinar is a KR) Surgebinders, plus one of the best Shardbearer duelists in Alethkar and an army verses one Windrunner is not good odds for Szeth, and since I don't think he'll die this early then my bets are on Szeth being freed from being truthless by the return of the KR.

The problem is that BS already said that just because a book is 'dedicated' to a character, it doesn't mean they will survive until that book.

He flat out said it at a recent signing, he explained that books 'dedicated' to a character are just their backstory, and that flashbacks are easily done after said character is dead.

Please, may I ask for a quote?

IIRC Brandon said, that Dalinar might not survive book 5. But I did not understand this as Dalinar dies before "his" book. "His" isn't the SA2 (that's for Shallan) and because he wasn't sure whether he does Dalinar or Shallan first, maybe Dalinar "gets" SA3. As for this I think Dalinar will at least survive until the end of his book.I might be wrong there or didn't understand Brandon right.

As for a flashback book for a dead character I fear it might be Kaladin (because this would be his second flashback book). (I don't want Kaladin to die :/). Or Szeth, if he dies trying to kill Dalinar.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o/>/>/>

I really hope dalinar survives until the end, or close enough. ayway, dalinar's arc is far from coomplete; he just became highprince of war. That will at least stopping him from dieing at the beginning of the book...

As said above, if I understood Brandon right, Dalinar will not survive until the end of the series. But I think you got an interesting point on the question what timespan the (coming) books have.

As about Kaladin I go with Voidus (equal strength, element of surprise). Yes, I'm biased :-).

Please, may I ask for a quote?

IIRC Brandon said, that Dalinar might not survive book 5. But I did not understand this as Dalinar dies before "his" book.

I'm not saying that he will die, just that BS said it's a possibility. Just because someone's book is still to come, doesn't mean they will survive until then.

Brandon Sanderson

Shallan chapter reading

...And I ended up deciding on shallan, in part because I want to get into her story because of things that are happening in the plot, but also because I wanted Dalinar’s sequence to come later. Now I’m not promising the characters all survive that long, it’s entirely possible, just so you know, that I would kill someone off and then still show their flashback sequence. Because the flashbacks aren’t them having the flashback, the flashbacks are…it’s not them sitting there and remembering it…it’s not…it’s simply a non-linear way of telling their story. Just so you know, it doesn’t necessarily mean that Dalinar survives till book 5…

Attendee: are you telling us you’re going to kill one of our viewpoint characters

I’m not saying…I’m just saying that I reserve the right…the outline…you know…I don’t like to give spoilers, I like to keep people guessing. But, what I’m going to do is I’m going to do the first of the Shallan flashbacks for Stormlight 2.

Transcribed from recording.

So Brandon can still do his books even after the character bites it?

Well, he should totally do a Kelsier Stormlight Archive book. Then everyone who hasn't read Mistborn would be all, "What the another secret?" And Hoid could break the fourth wall to explain to explain that they're on Scadrial now, not Roshar.

• Chaos locked this topic