I would like to announce....

Miyabi

This post is totally not me satisfying my OCD tendency tog et an even number of posts before I leave. Yep, totally not. Nothing to see hear. Yeah. I just used hear. That is an indication of tiredness, and too much of a funny youtube video series made by Raocow where a man talks funny and plays Bunny Must Die.

I would like to announce that Zas is amazing. He and my girlfriend both go to BYU, and Zas IMs me this morning wondering if I want him to go drop something off for her for Valentine's Day, like a note or something. I was incredibly flattered, and suggested he drop off a note and dark chocolate. Turns out he totally managed to pick her favorite dark chocolate (which I had no idea).

Zas, you are a god.

(Hence, Zas gets a very specific "Messenger" award. If you bring things for staff member's significant others, you might get it too :P)

That I sometimes wonder if I'm the only atheist on here. And that I feel a bit like I've pulled a muscle in my back. That will probably go away in a day or two.

Edit: Looked at interview database for a minute. There's a Cosmere scheduling conflict that means Alloy of Law had to happen after Way of Kings, that's interesting.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

That I sometimes wonder if I'm the only atheist on here. And that I feel a bit like I've pulled a muscle in my back. That will probably go away in a day or two.

Edit: Looked at interview database for a minute. There's a Cosmere scheduling conflict that means Alloy of Law had to happen after Way of Kings, that's interesting.

Not the only atheist. Well, I suppose I'm not an atheist, since I'm agnostic, but I do definitely lean to the atheist side of things.

It means, Link, that though Brandon said Alloy happened concurrently with Warbreaker (and thus before Way of Kings) he changed it so that now Alloy happens concurrently with WoK. This apparently is due to a behind the scenes conflict which he has since resolved

you aren't the only atheist here, I am also an atheist.

Huh. So i'm surprised by how many are atheist here and open about it. It's been my experience that those who are usually tend to hide/cover it up, like it's a thing of shame (which it sort of is in america at least, sadly)

Not the only atheist. Well, I suppose I'm not an atheist, since I'm agnostic, but I do definitely lean to the atheist side of things.

It means, Link, that though Brandon said Alloy happened concurrently with Warbreaker (and thus before Way of Kings) he changed it so that now Alloy happens concurrently with WoK. This apparently is due to a behind the scenes conflict which he has since resolved

So you would actually be agnostic-atheist, as opposed to agnostic-theist (someone who says "i believe there is a god, but we can't know for sure"). If you were purely agnostic, you would basically say that it's a 50-50 chance for there to be a god or not.

As for myself, i agree with the following quote from richard dawkins "I am agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at the bottom of the garden." (Read: I'm basically atheist, but i won't say for 100% there isn't a god, it just isn't very likely). Which is actually something i don't admit to people terribly often, not out of shame (like mentioned above) but because it usually causes more trouble/argument than it's worth.

I believe religion should be something you don't shove down anyone's throat, even if that "religion" is lack of one. Which is honestly something a good portion of theists should learn to abide by

Well, I gathered THAT. I was kind of hoping for the relevant quote, since he gave us the initial chronology in response to my question on the Tor Q&A, and that it had changed was news to me. I hadn't realized yet how easy it would be to check the database myself. (Props!) I finally looked it up and realized that the initial announcement was a good paraphrase of Brandon's answer anyway, but initially I wondered if Cheese Ninja had pulled that info from a more juicy answer. Turns out not. Oh well.

There's lots of hatred to go around. Many people assume that anyone who is a member of a conservative Christian religion (like me) can't possibly have a shred of intelligence. They assume we blindly follow whatever our leaders tell us and can't think for ourselves. On the internet especially, Faith bashing seems to be en vogue. In conclusion there are intelligent/stupid Atheists, Christians, Buddhists, Agnostics, etc. There will always be people who disagree with you and some of them are going to be jerks about it. We can find comfort in our being persecuted in common. I guess my point is, even if Cheese Ninja were the only atheist here (and he is not, as has been demonstrated) he need not feel alone. :)

I would like to announce that I finally got around to finishing The Great Hunt again.

Well since we are all in a sharing mood.

My personal belief is Deism. Technically not a religion, but still.

it essentially sums into:

• Rejection of all religions based on books that claim to contain the revealed word of God.
  • Rejection of all religious dogma and demagogy.
  • Rejection of reports of miracles, prophecies and religious "mysteries".
  • God exists, and created the universe, but does not interfere with it in any way.
  • God gave humans the ability to reason.

individual Deists have their own set of principles, mine are slightly different from those listed above.

I find it really similar to Pathism from AoL.

In other news, I ended up teaching two fellow classmates again in my computer science class the same things I taught them last year because they played games and didn't pay attention. I don't even know why I bother.

Huh. So i'm surprised by how many are atheist here and open about it. It's been my experience that those who are usually tend to hide/cover it up, like it's a thing of shame (which it sort of is in america at least, sadly)

While not an atheist myself I think that it is a terrible thing that people would think less of someone for their religious beliefs or lack there of. The God I believe in isn't going to damnation someone to hell for all eternity because they were a wonderful person but it just so happened that they didn't believe him. If someone was a good wonderful atheist or if someone was a terrible bigoted theist he'll judge he'll judge them each accordingly. And I think it works the other way around to, if in the end it ends up that I was wrong, that there actually is no God then it won't matter to me. I'll have lived my life in a good way and a way that made me happy and I don't see how anyone can see anything wrong with that, just like how I don't see how people see anything wrong with a atheist who does good things.

While not an atheist myself I think that it is a terrible thing that people would think less of someone for their religious beliefs or lack there of. The God I believe in isn't going to damnation someone to hell for all eternity because they were a wonderful person but it just so happened that they didn't believe him. If someone was a good wonderful atheist or if someone was a terrible bigoted theist he'll judge he'll judge them each accordingly. And I think it works the other way around to, if in the end it ends up that I was wrong, that there actually is no God then it won't matter to me. I'll have lived my life in a good way and a way that made me happy and I don't see how anyone can see anything wrong with that, just like how I don't see how people see anything wrong with a atheist who does good things.

Yeah, and that's actually how most theists actually thing/believe. The problem is that there's a vocal minority that drives a lot of public perception. This is true of pretty much all groups. The majority of atheists aren't people who are going to condemn you for believing in a god, ridicule your beliefs, and try to convince you otherwise about whatever god you believe in. By the same token, the majority christians aren't the type of people who are going to attend a huge "abortion is murder" protest and try to impose their personal views on god and how he dictates living your life on somebody else. However, this unfortunately drives public perception and stereotypes.

• Rejection of all religions based on books that claim to contain the revealed word of God.
  • God exists, and created the universe, but does not interfere with it in any way.

individual Deists have their own set of principles, mine are slightly different from those listed above.

I saw this after I made my post and thought it was really interesting. I've heard of Desim before, I think it was in my Civics class that we talked about how Thomas Jefferson himself a Deist when I first heard the term but I have never actually came into contact with anyone I know of who considers them self a Deist. I'm just curious and not trying to attack your beliefs or anything, but why do you believe that God would take a hands of off approach to governing the universe? I try to keep an open mind see things in more than one way when I think about things like this. But I have trouble detaching myself from bias of what I already believe when I try to imagine why people would take this view point. Would you mind explaining to me why you think this way? If you don't want to post it in this thread you can shoot me a PM.

Oh and as this thread is for announcing things, I would like to announce that I got a suit the other day that puts the one that Zas wore to the Alloy release to shame. :P Well at least I think it's a suit, it might be a tuxedo but I don't really know how to tell the difference.

EDIT* (fixed a typo that was causing confusion.)

Edited by SOM1else

I saw this after I made my post and thought it was really interesting. I've heard of Desim before, I think it was in my Civics class that we talked about how Thomas Jefferson himself a Deist when I first heard the term but I have never actually came into contact with anyone I know of who considers them self a Deist. I'm just curious and not trying to attack your beliefs or anything, but why do you believe that God would take a hands of approach to governing the universe? I try to keep an open mind see things in more than one way when I think about things like this. But I have trouble detaching myself from bias of what I already believe when I try to imagine why people would take this view point. Would you mind explaining to me why you think this way? If you don't want to post it in this thread you can shoot me a PM.

I don't honestly see it as being a stretch to believe when you consider the whole "why does bad things happen to good people and vice versa?" thing, though as far as why he personally believes that way I couldn't say.

Oh and as this thread is for announcing things, I would like to announce that I got a suit the other day that puts the one that Zas wore to the Alloy release to shame. :P Well at least I think it's a suit, it might be a tuxedo but I don't really know how to tell the difference.

AFAIK a tux usually only has 1 button (right around the gut) where as a suit usually has a few (like 2-4 buttons) but other than that it's just slightly cosmetic differences paired with wearing different stuff WITH it (for example, tie with suit, bowtie with tux, different undershirts, cumberbund with tux, waistcoat with suit, etc.)

AFAIK a tux usually only has 1 button (right around the gut) where as a suit usually has a few (like 2-4 buttons) but other than that it's just slightly cosmetic differences paired with wearing different stuff WITH it (for example, tie with suit, bowtie with tux, different undershirts, cumberbund with tux, waistcoat with suit, etc.)

Hmmm... Now I'm even more unsure what this is. The jacket doesn't button at all in the front and has tails behind the legs.

In other news, I ended up teaching two fellow classmates again in my computer science class the same things I taught them last year because they played games and didn't pay attention. I don't even know why I bother.

Wow, that's exactly what I believe. I didn't know it was a religion, though. Guess you learn something every day. Just curious, but what do Deists and/ or you think about the afterlife, Emeralis00. If you don't want to answer that, feel free to. I don't want to insult anyone.