What would YOU choose?

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which weapon/other thing of the sort is best?

• Nightblood or other Awakened sword/knife.
    • Shardblade
    • Shardplate
    • Half-Shard
    • Surgebinding
    • Hallucinations (such as Legion had)
    • Awakening (10,000 Breaths)
    • Being Returned
    • Sword (basic sword)
    • Allomancy
    • Feruchemy
    • $10 billion
    • Being Brandon Sanderson
    • Other (explain "other" in comments please)
    • Being Dan Wells
    • Being a different Author
    • Twinborn

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good choices, but I feel like Feruchemy is one of the best. So many useful applications! Need to sleep? Store Wakefulness. Need sudden athletic abilities? Draw upon the variety of physical metals. And there are so many other applications. However, I do acknowledge that each power is good, and Feruchemy probably isn't the most powerful/useful.

It's sort of like being half-immortal. You're virtually impossible to kill, but you'll die of old age eventually. Double atium works the other way: you can live (virtually) forever, but without double gold, you can still be killed by things like guns, knives, pneumonia, etc. The reason for the Lord Ruler's godlike immortality was that, of course, he had both.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose legion at first but then I realized it lacked immortality so I was going to delete and switch to being an weakener. The issue of course with being returned is that you can't get breaths from people not from the propose world so you would live a week

At 10,000 Breaths I couldn't say no to Awakening. The increased appreciation of art is almost as good as being able to fly, as far as fun goes. But then it comes with immortality, and being able to animate things too!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going worldhopping. Think I might collect as many Breaths as I can, maybe track down Hoid and grab that Lerasium bead, become an Allomancer...and since I'm on earth now, I must have figured out how to worldhop from earth so I should be able to get back. And with both those new skills, and/or whatever else I acquire during my worldhopping greatness, I think making a few billion should be easy...

10 billion is the most powerful. You can hire people to do magic for you.

Short of that, Feruchemy is the most powerful. It allows you to enhance yourself in many non combat ways, for example becoming smarter, having perfect memory, being faster and stronger, being luckier. You could win the olympics, win any game of chance, be charismatic. All this just at the cost of acquiring some metal once.

In certain circumstances surgebinding could be more useful. The transformation surgebinding magic in particular allows you to make food or cure people of deadly diseases. Legion transformations can be very useful to you.

Behind that, non transformation surgebindings, allomancy, being twinborn, being returned, and 10000 breaths. They are useful in certain circumstances.

A shardblade or shardplate on its own isn't that effective. Neither is a half shard, or a sword. Having a gun is more effective than any of these.

Being Brandon Sanderson is costly, in that you have to spend many of your early years not getting published and working a crappy job. It's good once you get the payoff, but not so good until then. He is an excellent author and I am happy to let him do all the hard work for us.

Edited by Nepene

• 4 weeks later...

Feruchemy has the most real-world application of them all. Success here has less to do with talent and more to do with being able to memorize and regurgitate factoids on command. In the cosmere worldhopping could easily give you the others. A stop on Nalthis and some torturing work will get you enough breaths to be immortal, and from then on in you have all the time in the world to track down most of the others. If you work right you can use tiny needles for Hemalugy to avoid the awkward spikes, and once you got double gold your quest would officially reach the "Easy to the point of laughability" level. The only thing that would be remotely difficult would be getting a shardblade, and with so many other power you could probably get that with ease anyways.

• Chaos locked this topic