Shardblade Clarity

KaladinStark

I imagine that it isn't like hair or nails, but rather like bones, sort of an exoskeleton.  This is based on Rlain's tattoo being partly on his skullplate.  If, in the transition, it was partly on the armor and partly not, then I imagine that it would transition back to being part of his body in an unarmored form.  As such, I deduce that it is a live part of his body, connected by soul.  I think the nails and hair are dead, without soul, so they cut the first time. 

From Chapter 79:

He bore their tattoo on his forehead, reaching up and blending into his skullplate.

Are greatshell exoskeletons affected? That might be the answer here. Or not, depending on the nature of their forms.

I'm almost certain that it's mentioned in book that it cuts through Chasmfiend exoskeletons.

I'm almost certain that it's mentioned in book that it cuts through Chasmfiend exoskeletons.

I thought it was mentioned that it only cut through the exoskeleton after the chasm fiend had died. And prior to that, it just killed the limb. I'm think specifically of the greatshell hunt when Adolin and Dalinar are cutting the legs leaving them useless. Not cut in half.

Edit: derp. I didn't even see the preious post. Upvote for saying exactly what I just said and hour before me. After all, timeliness is what we value most

Edited by Flywinged

I am not sure how relevant Chasmfiend chitin is to Listener carapace but, FWIW, the chitin can definitely be cut before the chasmfiend is dead.

cracked shoulder leaking Stormlight. He got close and swung at the beast’s torso, cutting free a piece of chitin —like a person’s hair or nails, it could be cut by a Blade. Then Elhokar slammed his weapon into the monster’s breast, seeking its heart.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 207). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Does this help?

Why didn't the legs break then when Adolin and Dalinar cut them? Now I'm confused because I remember what you just quoted and that seems contradictory to me

Dalinar raced under the limb, transferring Oathbringer to his left hand and holding the sword out to the side, slashing it through one of the chasmfiend’s trunklike legs. The Blade sheared the thick chitin with barely a tug of resistance. As always, it didn’t cut living flesh, though it killed the leg as surely as if it had been cut free. The large limb slipped, falling numb and useless. The monster roared with its deep, overlapping, trumpeting voices. On the other side, Dalinar could make out Adolin slicing at a leg. The creature shook, turning toward Dalinar. The two legs that had been cut dragged lifelessly.

Sanderson, Brandon (2010-08-31). The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive) (p. 204). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I think the Chasmfiend Chitin is like nails/hair.  Not living.  The Parshendi carapace seems to me like bone, part of the living being, because Rlain's tattoo partially translated to the skullplate. 

Oh, so the outer part, the exoskeleton part, gets cut, but the inside of the leg doesn't? So I assume that means the parshendi's armor is cut but limbs themselves aren't? Is that a valid statement?

So I "think" the armor wouldn't cut until the warrior died. 

I "think" carapace is not comparable to chitin.  But I know nothing...

Edited by hoser

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, so the outer part, the exoskeleton part, gets cut, but the inside of the leg doesn't? So I assume that means the parshendi's armor is cut but limbs themselves aren't? Is that a valid statement?

I think that in the Parshendi case their armor isn't exactly an exoskeleton, but just their skin.  So it wouldn't be cut away.  I could be wrong though, I don't have the book in front of me to search for any evidence.

Yes, but i wonder if all parshendi had a screaming voice, or was she special in that regard. I was thinking that the blade might have affected her just enough for the voice to remain instead of completly suppressed. It suggests that redemption is potentially possible.

Well, after a while, Eshonai simply stopped attuning to Peace, or similar tunes, because the screaming was so unbearable.  If you notice, she doesn't hear screaming in her head before, when she had a shardblade.

It does say that shardblades cut through the Parshendi armor, in several of the battles where Dalinar is fighting.

• Chaos locked this topic