Cosplay help?

Delightful

Mistcloak:

1. Buy black or grey cape from nearby Party City type store (preferably with hood. If not, you can wear a sweatshirt or something underneath)

2. Lay cape on flat surface

3. Cut strips, not going all the way to the top

4. Wear awesome Mistcloak

Edited by Ashiok

Only thing I can maybe-suggest; if you were planning on going as an SA character, maybe you could circumvent textile skills by going as a Knight Radiant, or a Parshendi or something? The latter would probably be super complicated to do properly though; a mix of makeup and prostetics, maybe?

A Knight Radiant might be easier, since there's probably documents online about how to make armor/swords, but... still might be tough.

Er... so... good luck, I guess?

Hmm thanks guys. The mistcloak option sounds easiest.

I'm just thinking if I wear a pretty dress with it I can be vin at a ball (plus the contrast of street-y cloak and dress would be cool). And then i don't have to worry about visible glass daggers :P. I wonder how hard it is to imitate metal vials.

(KR or Parahendi would be awesome, but quite a bit beyond my skills unfortunately)

Question since I don't have a copy of Mistborn available - at the balls, where does Vin/Shan Elariel keep their vials?

Edited by Delightful

"Vin rose to dash across the rooftop, trusting her instincts. As she ran, she flared pewter and grabbed her dress near the neck, then ripped the garment down the front with a single yank. She pulled her coin pouch and metal vials from a hidden pocket, and then- still running- she ripped the dress, petticoats, and attached leggings free, tossing it all aside..." From the Shan fight. I guess there was a "Secret pocket" In the neck of the dress? But that seems like it would be found by anybody burning Iron/steel

Note that she had metals in her stomach before this, probably ingested before the ball, seeing as she soothed Kriss without taking out a vial.

Edited by Ashiok

I'm also planning on making a Shardblade and Plate for a Cosplay. I want to do it with L.E.D.s so it ends up being a KR set. There are tons of videos online on how to make foam weapons and armor if you want to check that out.

"Vin rose to dash across the rooftop, trusting her instincts. As she ran, she flared pewter and grabbed her dress near the neck, then ripped the garment down the front with a single yank. She pulled her coin pouch and metal vials from a hidden pocket, and then- still running- she ripped the dress, petticoats, and attached leggings free, tossing it all aside..." From the Shan fight. I guess there was a "Secret pocket" In the neck of the dress? But that seems like it would be found by anybody burning Iron/steel

Note that she had metals in her stomach before this, probably ingested before the ball, seeing as she soothed Kriss without taking out a vial.

I would not suggest ripping open said dress for this cosplay. :P

Also, Well has the dress from Well. That one was pretty.

Traditional form, but a bit straight down the thighs

Cut open near the shoulders

tight sleeves and open cuffs

Waist bends

Light dress

Chest tight for support

Skirts resist flaring

vial slits in cuffs

ripple in cloth to obscure dagger around each forearm

Edited by Ashiok

Can't offer any tips just wanted to say that Heroes of Cosplay on SyFy was fun to watch.

GL!

"Vin of Scadrial, you have the willpower to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern corp."

Well, okay, that's a guy, but you have to admit, a Mistborn Green Lantern costume would certainly be unique.

Edited by Quiver

Another option is to go as an Alethi from SA. Clothing can be pretty generic, and if working class wear a glove on your left hand; if noble then use a scarf or other material to extend the left sleeve over your hand. For bonus points, draw a ghostblood tattoo somewhere visible.

I wonder how hard it is to imitate metal vials.

Go to a craft store. The fancy cake decorating section should have vials of powdered food coloring.  This collection includes a few different metallic colors that I've thought would probably be great for creating metal vials.  That same section will have various different kinds of sprinkles (including metallic ones) if you want larger "metal pieces" for your vials. These options are especially cool because they mean that your 'metal' is actually edible!  The craft store also likely has a section with assorted glass bottles and bowls that probably has glass vials as well.

I have definitely seen these things at Hobby Lobby, but I would be very surprised if Michael's, Jo-Ann's, etc. didn't have them.

...I spend way too much time in craft stores...

Hi! So I want to cosplay a SA character or Vin, but I have almost no textile skills to speak of. Any ideas how to do a cosplay that doesn't involve eg sewing a havah from scratch?

(Also not sure if this is in the right section?)

I know that sewing machines can seem intimidating at first, but don't fear them!  Every cosplayer has to start somewhere.  If you're at all interested in learning, I'd recommend starting with Simplicity patterns; they're usually pretty easy to follow.  But don't fear trying something new!  (Just don't practice on the good fabric! ^_^ )

Can't offer any tips just wanted to say that Heroes of Cosplay on SyFy was fun to watch.

GL!

Arglebargle.  That...show filmed at one of my local cons a couple of years back.  I kind of hate the fact that this show has become the public face of cosplay.  Just from A ) knowing what actually happened, and B ) how they edited the footage to make our local people look like jerks, I can attest to the fact that the producers are terrible, terrible people.  Maybe the actual professional costumers are OK, but the producers can go sit in a bucket and rust.

"Vin of Scadrial, you have the willpower to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern corp."

Well, okay, that's a guy, but you have to admit, a Mistborn Green Lantern costume would certainly be unique.

Do.  Not.  Give me.  More.  Ideas.  I don't neeeeed them!  I've already got two Alloy of Law-era costume ideas percolating, and am working on an armored Jean Grey costume.  Stop!  :wacko:

Edited by Kaymyth

Do.  Not.  Give me.  More.  Ideas.  I don't neeeeed them!  I've already got two Alloy of Law-era costume ideas percolating, and am working on an armored Jean Grey costume.  Stop!  :wacko:

You have my attention. And a way to avoid her dying and resurrecting every other week.

(Oh fine, technically she's only really "died" once, since before was a Pheonix consciousness-duplicate while she was in a coma or something, but still. When you use the name "Pheonix" and maybe-died twice, expect to be riffed on it.)

And now I want to come up with a range of superhero themed Cosmere characters...

You have my attention. And a way to avoid her dying and resurrecting every other week.

(Oh fine, technically she's only really "died" once, since before was a Pheonix consciousness-duplicate while she was in a coma or something, but still. When you use the name "Pheonix" and maybe-died twice, expect to be riffed on it.)

And now I want to come up with a range of superhero themed Cosmere characters...

Heh.  It's an idea that occurred while I was making a chainmail shirt for another costume.  What if....the X-Men were costumed like they were in a D&D world?  Jean Grey was an obvious choice, as I've got the long, red hair and I hate wearing wigs.  (And I'm blessed with genetics that keep me looking about 10 years younger than I am, so I've still got some superhero cosplay life left in me.  It looks arrogant to type out like that, but dangnabbit, I suffered throughout my early adulthood being mistaken for a high schooler all the time; now it's time to reap the benefits!)

I've knitted the gauntlets already; worked the scale mail right into the yarn.  I've got plans of sewing scales onto a fully boned corset (making the grid for that is going to be a pain), chainmail to attached to the corset top to go up over the chest and neck, scale pauldrons, faux leather leg armor pieces....yeah, it's a bit nuts.  I intend to have it completed by next year's Costume Con when it's close enough to drive to.

Between that and having World Con here at home, 2016 is going to be a big convention year for me.

I wonder how hard it is to imitate metal vials.

It never really explains where they keeps their vials. As for imitating them, very simple.

Get a few of those test tube shots and drink them, saving the caps.

Buy a bottle of Goldschlager.

Top of test tubes, making sure you get some of the gold flakes in there.

It never really explains where they keeps their vials. As for imitating them, very simple.

It's also surprisingly easy to find metal shavings of all types on Amazon or eBay.

Sounds like "Hammeredborn"... I want to do this now. I can imagine a mistborn who has downed too many whiskey vials steel pushing off of roofs and getting pulled over by an SI in a police hat. "Excuse me sir, but how many vials have you had tonight?"

• 1 month later...

I've been re-reading the Mistborn trilogy, and near the end of book 2, it mentions Vin wearing her metals in her sash. My guess is that it had loops on it to hold the vials and was either tied around the waist or worn like a bandolier.

If Wax doesn't have a bandolier next book, I'm calling shenanigans.

Also, a poncho.

• 2 weeks later...