How planets affect magic systems.

Aminar

Last night I was so tired the Lathani/sleeping mind/what have you taught me some things that may apply to the Cosmere.

We know that the planets affect how the magic system works. I think I've figured out what comes from which shard fro some of our systems and we could start speculating on how different planets and shards might interact.

Scadrial

Has Preservation and Ruin

The magic system seems to focus on metals.

Preservation seems to promote end positive energies and focuses on pushing and pulling. Everything pushes or pulls.

Ruin has an end negative system based on theft of spiritual DNA.

Their combination is end Nuetral.

Meanwhile Scadrial-for whatever reason-promotes the metals as a source of magic.

Sel

Has Devotion and Dominion

I haven't read this in well over two years so I don't remember everything. I remember drawings on bones and the Aons granting power but I don't really understand what Devotion and Dominions signatures would be.

The part from the planet, the unifying factor of the presened systems is drawing continental features though, meaning that is the planets contribution.

Roshar

Has Odium, Honor, and Cultivation.

We don't have enough understanding to really get what the individual shards signatures are yet.

This one is trickier. Is it stormlight? Or is it what causes highstorms? I'm not sure.

Nalthis

The shard is Endowment.

It's signature appears to be granting energy to inanimate objects.

It's hard to tell as well, but I believe Nalthis's addition is the importance of color.

So from there we could technically start speculating on how say Allomancy powered by Color could work and the like. Point being I think I've nailed down what parts of the systems are coming from which Spiritual force(Shard/Planet.)

I'm not absolutely sure but are you saying that each magic system has a power source from its home planet, and that you believe any of the magic systems could be powered by any of the planets. So surgebinding could be powered biochroma on nalthis if done correctly? Personally I think its a long shot, but still quite an interesting idea with a big impact on the cosmere if its correct.

I'm not absolutely sure but are you saying that each magic system has a power source from its home planet, and that you believe any of the magic systems could be powered by any of the planets. So surgebinding could be powered biochroma on nalthis if done correctly? Personally I think its a long shot, but still quite an interesting idea with a big impact on the cosmere if its correct.

It's more about Brandon's writing process. He finds an aspect of the planet that charges the magic system. So Scadrial is somehow tied to metal. If Ruin and Preservation had landed on Nalthis you'd have a system of stealing powers based around color, A way to store power in color, and a system based on pushing and bulling of key concepts powered by color. It's a part of the physics behind formulating a magic system.

Crazy idea: We've always assumed compounding draws from the shard, but that probably isn't so. You don't see Preservation getting weaker under the weight of all the world's allomancers. So what if the planet powers it?

I would say that in the long run the power of a shard is infinite, but only so much power can be invested from it at any one point. This might explain why allomancy is naturally designed to dilute in power over time (and before anyone says, I know that even when there are lots of allomancers, like in the events of the Mistborn trilogy, there can still be allomancers as powerful as the first generation, such as Elend and TLR).

Don't forget that matter and shardic energy are essentially the same thing in different forms, this is what let's Sazed create stuff out of his power when he remade the world. I don't have the quote but either Vin or Sazed alludes to this while holding a shard.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that planets have spiritual and cognitive presences of their own that are affecting the magic.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that planets have spiritual and cognitive presences of their own that are affecting the magic.

This seems likely to me. From a physical perspective only, just as the laws of physics are the same wherever you are in the universe, there's no reason why a magic system associated with a given shard should change from world to world. I can think that it must be some difference in the spiritual or cognitive rhelms when on those planets.

Don't forget that matter and shardic energy are essentially the same thing in different forms, this is what let's Sazed create stuff out of his power when he remade the world. I don't have the quote but either Vin or Sazed alludes to this while holding a shard.

I swear I've read that it is based on confirmed info... Somebody tell me I'm right, that the planet influences the magic system is a confirmed fact.

A few relevant quotes.

ERIC LAKE ()

Allomancy provides many very dramatic effects, which some have noted is not very much like Preservation. Could you walk me through how Allomancy is of Preservation, though it does dramatic, dynamic things?

BRANDON SANDERSON

One of the 'basics' of the magic in all of the worlds is that the energy of Shards can fuel all kinds of interactions, not just interactions based on their personality/role. I did this because otherwise, the Magics would all be extremely limited.

The 'role' of the Shard has to do with the WAY the magic is obtained, not what it can do. So, in Preservation's case, the magic is a gift—allowing a person to preserve their own strength, and rely upon the strength granted by the magic. While Hemalurgy has a huge cost, ending in net entropy.

Not sure how relevant this is but I'm sure someone will spin a theory out of it :P

ASHLEY

Do you ever plan to use bio‐chroma again? It'd be a shame to see such an interesting and original idea left with a single book.

BRANDON SANDERSON (GOODREADS)

It is unlikely that I will use this magic system in a different book because it is distinctly tied to that particular Shard.

This one seems to imply that the Endowment is specifically tied to BioChroma, could be interpreted to mean that it will always rely on color no matter what world it's on.

KAIMIPONO (16 OCTOBER 2008)

Allomancy is fueled by Preservation's body? How exactly does that work? And how does that interact with Atium—it's fueled by both gods' bodies?

BRANDON SANDERSON (17 OCTOBER 2008)

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

This is the closest I could find for planets affecting the magic.

That sounds like the right quotes Voidus. I really do think I'm onto something but I thought I was on firmer ground than I initially was. And remember Biochroma is tied to Endowment. The passing on of breaths is that part. You could have Biometalla possibly, where breaths eat Metal not color if you really wanted according to my theory, but more would change than that. Bochroma itself though, still tied to Endowment. Ths he isn't likely to move Endowment to another planet anytime soon.

Hey guys, I'm new to posting. Don't expect me to drop in often :)

I can't remember which interview I saw this on, but in regards to Biochroma being specific to Endowment, Brandon once stated that only the people of Nalthis could transfer their breaths and only they could Awaken with the power of them. I can't remember what this implied for any world-hopping hemalugists, but the 'Breath' part of the magic system was the exclusive part.

I might try searching the interview archives I recognise for cosmere stuff

More relevant quotes! :P (Actually just the one)

ZAS

After several more signings, I asked my other question. "Do people in the Comsere, besides Nalthis, have Breaths?"

BRANDON SANDERSON

"No." He then signed a person's books, then said "To elaborate a little more, that's not to say they don't have a life force, because they do. But if someone not from Nalthis were to suddenly gain the ability to become an Awakener, they could not use what they have to Awaken something. That's not to say that they can't receive breaths though."

So other people can receive breaths.

• Chaos locked this topic