roshar landmass

taveren

has anyone talked about why roshar's land masses look a bit like they are spinning almost like a hurricane.

could just be me but it seems an odd coincidence that it looks like that on a planet that has just a never ending line of hurricane like storms.

This link is to a thread about the map.  It was started back in March and is very long, but he OP on the first page has a couple of posts explaining the shape of Roshar.  I couldn't find the original posts so I'm sorry I couldn't link you to them, but the long and short of it is the map is a Julia Set.  A Julia Set is something in math that is way beyond my skills in the subject but you can look into how they work if you'd like.  That link has other theories and discussions on the map as well if you're interested.

There is also a reddit thread here that focuses more on just the shape of the map rather than all the other stuff that first link gets into.

Edited by Mimiddle04

There's also a WoB somewhere that essentially says that the reason the landmass looks the way it does is on purpose, and a direct result of the Highstorms.  The continent is actually eroded and built up again continually as a direct result of these storms (the crem deposits that are mentioned constantly throughout are a symptom of this process.)

On the subject of storms i know they move West coming East from the Origin, i always imagined them as the Rosharan Mists similar to the mists on Scadrial, they seem destructive but they seem to nourish the plants and the like because they are filled with investiture. (Vasher's nutrients)

I found an interesting note i found was in the first story Hoid told Kal; about King Derethil and the Wondersail, there is thought to be another Origin to the west where the Voidbringers were spawned. King Derethil describes it as 'a whirlpool where the ocean is drained'.

On the subject of storms i know they move West coming East from the Origin, i always imagined them as the Rosharan Mists similar to the mists on Scadrial, they seem destructive but they seem to nourish the plants and the like because they are filled with investiture. (Vasher's nutrients)

It's been stated that they are, in fact, practically the same thing, a type of Cosmere phenomena that we don't have a name for yet.

Edited by mckeedee123

The brilliant Satsuoni developed a highstorm model here.  Ignorantly summarizing, the idea is that the Highstorms are like the blast wave of an explosion centered on the Origin.  So the front of the wave is a circle, with the opposite side going East from the Origin. 

The whirlpool of the Wandersail story (if there really is one) could be opposite the Origin where the attenuated remnants of the Highstorms meet.  Those remnants could push water on the surface toward that point from all directions and the whirlpool could be where the water descends to flow the other way further down.  

if that was true then the world would need to be large enough that the highstorm didn't hit from the other side as well landing on the shin homeland

Exactly.  The whirlpool would be to the west of the Valley of Truth.  If the Origin is Greenwich, the whirlpool would be on the International Date Line and the landmass is all on one hemisphere. 

Edited by hoser

It looks like this has changed from landmass to biology of plant life.

It's true a lot of plants drown with too much water, but there are plants that live in water, not including underwater plants (which is what Brandon has said he based the Roshar plants on) there are swamp plants that grow with their base completely covered in water their entire life span.

Plants on Roshar wouldn't really have that problem to deal with though.  Someone on another thread pointed out that in order to drain all the Highstorm water each week the continent must have large drainage systems or basins below it to get rid of the water.  Think about America when just one large hurricane hits.  Think if that were a weekly occurrence.  Logically there must be somewhere for all that water to go or the whole continent would flood.  The weeping is weak normal rain though and produces a lot less water at once. The drainage systems that clear highstorm water could easily handle weeks of light rain without the land flooding too badly.  It'd be like being able to drain an entire pool at once if need be but then only draining buckets at a time.  No matter how long you poured those buckets, it'd never back up the enormous drainage system to the point of flooding.

Because the land wouldn't be too saturated the plants wouldn't need to develop like swamp plants to survive.  I'd see them closer to plants in Africa with wet and dry seasons (on a much, much smaller scale).  They'd need to go a week or more with no water, then get as much as they could after the destruction passes, but before the water drains away.

• Chaos locked this topic