Discussion on State of The Sanderson 2

Moash

So... The SoS both excites and depresses me.

Excites because, well, more Brandon, and more undoubtedly awesome stories to look forward to.

Depresses me because some of these stories might not see the light of day for more than twenty years. And a large part of me fears Brandon will never finish all of these stories, and I will eventually be left with a void in my life, left to think only of what could have been, the hints of stories floating in my head, never to be clothed in full flesh...

I'm sorry. I have problems...

Elantris sequels (plural mind you) are interesting. Wonder what will be their connection to Mistborn. Will a glowing Raoden turn up on Scadrial? And since chronologically present day Mistborn will be after the entire Stormlight archives, I wonder if we can get some clues about Stormlight 2nd half?

The dark one? Odium? Imagine Rayse as young adult :P

I would love to know how it wasn't Cosmere, and then became Cosmere.

The opposite thing happened to the Rithmatist, I believe. It started out as a Cosmere story, then Brandon decided to put it on an alternate Earth. I guess in both cases he decided at some point that changing the setting will make the story more awesome.

Edited by skaa

So excited about Bands of Mourning. Two Wax and Wayne novels back-to-back!

There are a lot of other fascinating bits in there, too (e.g. the planned cosmere "backstage" reveals mean he has to do Elantris sequels and probably Nightblood before moving forward into the contemporary Mistborn trilogy--What sort of connections have to be made there??)

But the piece that caught my attention was Adamant (previously The Lurker). I absolutely love Defending Elysium, and I'm interested in more sci-fi from Brandon. Have we learned anything about this book before?

I believe Elantris was planned as a loose trilogy.  Second book is supposed to have Kiin's kids as main characters (Kaise, Daorn, and Adien).

I've never heard it being referred to as a trilogy (unless you count The Emperor's Soul). The State of Sanderson 2013, for example, says "Elantris sequel"

I've never heard it being referred to as a trilogy (unless you count The Emperor's Soul). The State of Sanderson 2013, for example, says "Elantris sequel"

From Another Long and Rambling Post on Future Books (literally):

Some notes here. Elantris has three books in the series, but they are loose sequels of each other. This means that side characters in one become main characters in the next. So while you’ll see Raoden and Sarene in the second book, they won’t be main characters. (Kiin’s children will be.)

And oh wow this is from a long time ago

POSSIBLE PROJECTS FOR MY TIME OFF
  • Mistborn short story (Looking likely.)

You have no idea Brandon...

Very curious about the two unnamed Cosmere series that need to be done before final Mistborn trilogy. What in the world are those? It seems that everything is accounted for, right? White Sand, Dragonsteel, Silence Divine. The only thing I could think of is that one of them is the pre-Dragonsteel duology about Hoid. I hope so, because I've always loved the feeling of Liar of Partinel.

Its possible one of them is Skyward, which I've only seen mentioned once but he described as a YA cosmere novel on a new world we hadn't seen yet.  I'm fairly certain this is not the same thing as Dark One, which has been on his list in one form or another for years, and the mention of Skyward was only last year, from what I recall.  Around the same time, he described somewhere (maybe a Writing Excuses?) a new cosmere world he was developing at the moment - I can't remember the details but it was something about the physical laws governing electricity worked differently on that world, and the whole air carried a charge which had something to do with the magic of that world....I don't know.  Both that world and Skyward were only mentioned once, and not at the same time, but I always assumed that world was the basis for Skyward both because the name felt like it tied in and the world felt more sci-fi ish than most cosmere novels, and because they were both mentioned around the same time.

"I needed to write a wax and vayne novel, but I could not get back into the characters and the world... so I wrote another wax and vayne novel to get into it"

"I needed to relax from writing books. So I wrote some different books"

I cannot decide whether brandon is more ridiculous or more awesome when he comes out with those kind of statements.

The two most interesting things for me are that SA 3 might not be Szeth´s book afterall (rendering any list of viewpoints speculative again) and the dark one. Although with it being YA I fear that the full potentiall of the villain protagonist might not be realized. (Still desperately wanting that Nightblood but it´s not like we learned something significant about it.)

"I needed to write a wax and vayne novel, but I could not get back into the characters and the world... so I wrote another wax and vayne novel to get into it"

"I needed to relax from writing books. So I wrote some different books"

I cannot decide whether brandon is more ridiculous or more awesome when he comes out with those kind of statements.

Given that we end up with more books, definetly awesome.

Honestly, this is a sign of the Sanderbots growing out of control. He's given them too much power, too much freedom to write.

I was going to make a joke about how this is how the machines will take over, Judgement Day, terminators, etc... but if the Sanderbots were Skynet, I'm sure the next film wouldn't be Genesis spelled with a Y.

Anyway; more Mistborn, yay! Also, the Dark One sounds interesting, though admittedly I'm not a big fan of "Teen" fiction.

Of course, I also haven't actually read Brandon's teen fiction, so that's a horrible thing to judge it on. Point is- I'm interested by the concept, and looking forward to more books... and of course, any post to do with Nightblood will get my attention.

I was going to make a joke about how this is how the machines will take over, Judgement Day, terminators, etc... but if the Sanderbots were Skynet, I'm sure the next film wouldn't be Genesis spelled with a Y.

Anyway; more Mistborn, yay! Also, the Dark One sounds interesting, though admittedly I'm not a big fan of "Teen" fiction.

Of course, I also haven't actually read Brandon's teen fiction, so that's a horrible thing to judge it on. Point is- I'm interested by the concept, and looking forward to more books... and of course, any post to do with Nightblood will get my attention.

I am not a fan of teen fiction either, because often "teen fiction" is confused with "fiction written for dumb, unsophisticated people" but I absolutely loved sanderson's teen fictions. alcatraz, steelheart, rithmatist, alll of them. so you should definitely give it a try. at worst, you'll have wasted a few dollars.

As for the bots, if the machines ruling the planet will keep us appeased with bread and circus sanderson books... well, then, all hail our machine overlord!

I haven't heard of the Dark One before today...is that going to be Odium's coming of age book?

On the Dark One being Odium's story, Peter has this to say:

I think this idea should be discouraged before it grows too many legs. Dark One is a modern Cosmere story which, like the other modern Cosmere stories, takes place thousands of years after Rayse took up the Odium shard.

Also Skyward wasn't mentioned at all this time around, do you think it could have been combined with Dark One seeing as that wasn't Cosmere before but now is?

I guess that's possible but I don't think so.  Peter's comment here implies it is still distinct (this is also where he says that he hasn't heard anything about Skyward since the last State...)

Journey before destination, my friend. We've got three main cosmere books within the next two years or so, which is already pretty great. We're years away from needing to worry if all the series will get finished. I'd prefer Brandon coming up with too many stories to ever write them all to him running out of ideas. Just think about all the stories we've yet to hear. It's gonna be great! :D

Journey before destination, my friend. We've got three main cosmere books within the next two years or so, which is already pretty great. We're years away from needing to worry if all the series will get finished. I'd prefer Brandon coming up with too many stories to ever write them all to him running out of ideas. Just think about all the stories we've yet to hear. It's gonna be great! :D

Yeah, there are only a few "destinations" that can be reached in fiction, it's the journey that provides variety!

It's also nice to have books to look forward to! 

Oh I'm going to enjoy it, but when I say "main" Cosmere books I am not including the Wax and Wayne books since those weren't originally Part Of The Plan.