Mraize

PrncRny

I don't have my copy of WoR with me right now, but I've been reading a lot on the forums about Mraize.

I'd like to see a list of all teh artifact descriptions we have thus far. I may have missed some things there. I've only listened to it twice. ;)

For instance, I didn't get at all that he might have a Tear with him.

There is a vial of white sand, golden hair, a silver knife, some pink crystal, a few huge gemhearts, and some metal I think.  Cant remember if there was anything else.  I think the reason that people think he might have a tear is because we are assuming that the golden hair is the Royal Locks.

Ok. Good. I knew i didn't remember a flower among his artifact.

Nice to know i'm not going crazy. :D

Now...theories as to what exactly the items are? Gemhearts are a given. But are we assuming some of these items come from other Shardworlds, based on the assumption that he is a Worldhopper?

Here's the relevant passage:

Other curiosities baffled her. A vial of pale sand. A couple of thick hairpins. A lock of golden hair. The branch of a tree with writing on it she couldn’t read. A silver knife. An odd flower preserved in some kind of solution. There were no plaques to explain these mementos. That chunk of pale pink crystal looked like it might be some kind of gemstone, but why was it so delicate? Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it.

The pale sand is probably from Taldain.  The lock of golden hair could be Royal Locks.  The silver knife would point towards Threnody.  The pink crystal sounds like an Aether from Liar of Partinel.  The flower is probably a Tear of Edgli, because we don't know of any unusual flowers that are interesting on a cosmere level at this point... Though I guess it could be one of Patji's Fingers now that I think of it.

The pale sand is probably from Taldain.  The lock of golden hair could be Royal Locks.  The silver knife would point towards Threnody.  The pink crystal sounds like an Aether from Liar of Partinel.  The flower is probably a Tear of Edgli, because we don't know of any unusual flowers that are interesting on a cosmere level at this point... Though I guess it could be one of Patji's Fingers now that I think of it.

Well, I know they aren't unusual but there are also Marewill flowers.

as they are described, there is nothing to suggest they are anything special. only checkov's rules dictate that they must indeed be the trophies of a worldhopper. It would acctually be a nice twist if it turned out they were a bunch of sand from the nearest beach, some blond hair taken from her last lover, an ornamental knife, a pink rock found on the ground, and a flower from the field behind the warcamp.

• 1 month later...

Confirmation that Mraize is a Worldhopper!!!!
QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)
Is Mraize a worldhopper?
BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)
Yes, he's been to a few planets, highly supervised by his babsk.

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)
So what planet is she [iyatil] from?

BRANDON SANDERSON
Well, that's kind of a hard thing to say. She has three planets she's "from". For example, she's living now on Roshar, but then she's from a different planet, but that's not the planet that her people are from.
QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)
So there was a mass exodus to that planet?

BRANDON SANDERSON
Not exactly. If you were to find a Japanese American, where would they say that they are from? Her people did not have a mass exodus.

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)
Have we seen mass exoduses before?

BRANDON SANDERSON
Yes, there are some in the cosmere. There's a mass exodus that is mentioned in one of the interludes in The Words of Radiance

Edited by WEZ313

Confirmation that Mraize is a Worldhopper!!!!

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)

Is Mraize a worldhopper?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

Yes, he's been to a few planets, highly supervised by his babsk.

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)

So what planet is she [iyatil] from?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, that's kind of a hard thing to say. She has three planets she's "from". For example, she's living now on Roshar, but then she's from a different planet, but that's not the planet that her people are from.

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)

So there was a mass exodus to that planet?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Not exactly. If you were to find a Japanese American, where would they say that they are from? Her people did not have a mass exodus.

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)

Have we seen mass exoduses before?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, there are some in the cosmere. There's a mass exodus that is mentioned in one of the interludes in The Way of Kings

mass exodus in way of kings must have missed that

For the last time. It was in WoK, it was in WoR. That was my interview with Sanderson and it was *definitely WoR. Zas wrote it down wrong. We discussed it in another thread and we settled on it either being the people who talked about The Long Path, or it was the Parshendi.

Edited by Arthur Dent

I'm thinking

A vial of pale sand.

White Sand

A couple of thick hairpins.

Haemelurgic Spikes, I'm thinking from Koloss rather than Kandra Blessings or Inquistor spikes.

A lock of golden hair.

Royal Hair

The branch of a tree with writing on it she couldn’t read. A silver knife.

No Idea.

An odd flower preserved in some kind of solution.

That Flower whose discovery appears to be the precursor for BioChroma. That's the Tear of Edgli isn't it?

That chunk of pale pink crystal looked like it might be some kind of gemstone, but why was it so delicate? Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it.

Unhardened soul stone.

For the last time. It was in WoK, it was in WoR. That was my interview with Sanderson and it was *definitely WoR. Zas wrote it down wrong. We discussed it in another thread and we settled on it either being the people who talked about The Long Path, or it was the Parshendi.

Arthur, do you have a direct source for this?

Totally called the mass exodus I think.

I posted awhile ago about all irali being world hoppers from the line in yms interlude. He says something like "we irali are of the long path of which this is the fourth planet." or some such. Even though this is from WoR cause I can't see anything form the other interludes in WoK being a world hoppers other than the 17th sharders.

Edited by RadiantNights

Totally called the mass exodus I think.

I posted awhile ago about all irali being world hoppers from the line in yms interlude. He says something like "we irali are of the long path of which this is the fourth planet." or some such. Even though this is from WoR cause I can't see anything form the other interludes in WoK being a world hoppers other than the 17th sharders.

"We are Iriali, and part of the Long Trail, of which this is the fourth land."

For accuracy.

@RadiantNights: We use the term "Cosmere-awareness". I don't think it's an official term, though.

@ArthurDent: Maybe a mod could edit that old post to change WoK to WoR. Otherwise people finding it will keep on getting misled.

Edited by skaa