I will Introduce myself, so long as it is Right

Unodus

Hi!

Um... I'm new here! Wazzap! ^-^

I've read the Mistborn series, the Stormlight archive, and Elantris (and soon SteelHeart :D). I very much enjoy the concept of Secondary Creation (I believe that's the right term... x.x), so I've set up my own little turf thing (aka: an account :P) so that I can discuss the immersive stories with other enthusiasts (while using very long words to try and sound clever :P). Well, now that I'm here- I figured I should follow the primary ritual of introducing myself before flinging myself across the forum bubble. I love discussing (and debating >:3) theories, and Sandersons Novels leave the most interesting ideas I have yet to come across- so finding the site of discussing his "worlds" seems very exciting, so naturally I want to take part in the discussion. Now, I feel I may be a bit late for the party, is there anything I should know before I embark on my quest of conversation?

(I hope that counts as an introduction... x.x)

Welcome!

...Though, as the guy who runs into threads and tells new readers they need to read Warbreaker, because it's my favorite Cosmere novel forums foremost Warbreaker enthusiast, I encourage you to also read Warbreaker one of these days. Besides being my favorite Cosmere book -and, in my opinion, one of the best of them- it also has some important details and relevance to other stuff.

Oh, and I think I also have to mention ponies. Because ponies.

Edited by Quiver

Welcome to our little corner of thee interwebs, where you will find much in the way of insanity, cookies, ponies and Hemalurgical mosters Nope, just the cookies and ponies. Nothing to see here. :ph34r: 

You might want to have a look at our Cosmere 101 Thread, it covers a lot of the basics of how all the books are linked and such.

I have Warbreaker, I'll be reading it after I've finished Steelheart... XD

I look forward to contributing to the conundrum of ideas with you all >:3

So, any tips for getting started? I don't know a lot of the facts, so should I stay out of the larger debates, and work my way upwards? Also, how does the "like" system work? I see each post can be "rated" (Should I rate posts sparingly or constantly?), and there's a "reputation" system (how does that work?)- Is there any etiquette I need to be aware of? (am I over complicating things? x.x)

I figure I should ask now, rather than seem rude in the future... .3.;

Also, is it possible to check if a theory has been discussed before or not? I imagine overlapping information can be an issue otherwise... x.x

Thanks for the welcome too, I appreciate it ^-^

Well, the Cosmere is it's own universe. Steelheart takes place in Chicago after a fashion. It really just isn't part of the Cosmere.

Don't let that discourage your reading of it! It's a fantastic book!

If you look at the forums main page, you will see a section call "Brandon Sanderson" that has all of the Cosmere books listed in Topics. Under that is a section called "Non-Cosmere Books." Steelheart is listed in there.

Its not? Aw... XD

Is that confirmed by Brandon? I mean, there must be some theories that links it in... right?

Or is there some really in depth reason I haven't taken into account?

Steelheart is an alternate earth, like the Rithmalist and neither earth nor it´s alternatives are part of the Cosmere. Although, Calamity reminds a lot of people of Shards, so you wouldn´t be the first one to make the mistake. :P (After you read the book you might want to check out the what happend in Oregon RP, in the Role play section but beware it´s where all the ponies, except Quiver, come from.)

As for the reputation system goes. Upvotes are given for things you like be it humor or well thought out arguments, feel free to be liberate with them. Downvotes should only be given for offensive comments and are rather rare. Both get tallied up, upvotes counting positive and downvotes negative, the result is the number in the usually green square under the profile picture and decide the reputation rank of the member.

For etiquette, just standart politness, I guess.

I have Warbreaker, I'll be reading it after I've finished Steelheart... XD

I look forward to contributing to the conundrum of ideas with you all >:3

So, any tips for getting started? I don't know a lot of the facts, so should I stay out of the larger debates, and work my way upwards? Also, how does the "like" system work? I see each post can be "rated" (Should I rate posts sparingly or constantly?), and there's a "reputation" system (how does that work?)- Is there any etiquette I need to be aware of? (am I over complicating things? x.x)

I figure I should ask now, rather than seem rude in the future... .3.;

Also, is it possible to check if a theory has been discussed before or not? I imagine overlapping information can be an issue otherwise... x.x

Thanks for the welcome too, I appreciate it ^-^

Feel free to dive right in, you'll pick it all up mostly by talking to people, although there are some sources that speed it all along such as Theoryland which is a great source of answers Brandon's given in various Q&As and interviews.

Upvotes are given pretty liberally but we usually save downvotes for something rude or offensive rather than just something you don't agree with.

The site has a search function if you go into the appropriate forum and look for keywords that's a good way to check but most people will probably just let you know if there's a similar topic already.

Have fun!