Worldhopping from Sel

JimmyTMalice

We know from WoB that Sel is apparently very difficult to Worldhop from, and that it apparently involves the Shardpool in Elantris. I think that the reason that it's difficult to go there is because the pool dissolves your body. On the other side you'd have to have a strong enough will to re-form a new physical body before you could go around Shadesmar to visit other worlds.

I think the danger of the Shardpool is actually a symptom of the same problem, but not the problem itself. It is actually difficult to get to Sel as well as leave it. The Cognitive Realm is very dangerous on Sel. It has to do with a lack of an entry controlling the Shardic power. 

http://theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=944#7

It seems to me that the power tried to find an outlet, and for lack of anything else, humans can be that outlet. But as we have seen often, to much power consumes and destroys you. 

Makes me wonder how Hoid got there. Does he have another method for Worldhopping? I think he might, but who knows what. Or maybe he was there before the splintering of Devotion and Dominion. But then how did he get off? Or maybe he had figured out how to deal with the danger.

Hoid! Why must that man be so confusing. If the problem is raw power of the Dor, could a monk with resistance to the dor get thrugh? What if you targeted your own body with the protection aon, and walked in to the pool? Would the pool just destroy the link between itself and the aon, or would it feed it with so much power that it froze you?

Anyways, would the strong will work to reform your self on the other side?

• 1 year later...

Well we know it is possible for others besides Hoid to wordhop from Sel, since Galladon somehow made it to Roshar.  Maybe since all the shards on Elantris are splintered by Odium the connection to Shadesmar and other Shardworlds is somehow weaker making worldhopping much more dangerous, Brandon did say it would just be a bad idea and is very hard but not impossible.

You know the highstorms of Roshar? I'm talking about the hurricane type storm that wipes out everything that's unprotected in a huge blast. The Cognitive Realm of Sel is similar to a constant, raging highstorm. Except for a few exceptions, you go there, you get torn apart.

On 11/4/2014 at 9:56 PM, lyht said:

Makes me wonder how Hoid got there. Does he have another method for Worldhopping?

In the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris, we see Hoid use the shard pool. And it didn't seem like he had to prepare much, unless he did all his preparations ahead of time. Maybe there are ways to navigate through the storm if you know the path/what to look for (like whirpools/deadly rocks when it comes to ships -- pretty common trope).

3 hours ago, Argel said:

In the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris, we see Hoid use the shard pool. And it didn't seem like he had to prepare much, unless he did all his preparations ahead of time. Maybe there are ways to navigate through the storm if you know the path/what to look for (like whirpools/deadly rocks when it comes to ships -- pretty common trope).

I just read that a few days ago, and said to myself, "Hoid! How did you do that!" I love that that scene did not clear anything up, just made what he is doing that much more confusing!

• Chaos locked this topic