Les Miserables

I have been excited for this movie since I first heard it was happening. Then I heard that Hugh Jackman was attached, and I was hesitant. I knew the man had a voice (Josh has a DVD of him staring as Curley in Oklahoma, and he proved his acting/singing prowess there), but I wasn't sure what I thought of him playing Jean Veljean. (And honestly, I'm still not sure what I think of the fact. However, I'm willing to be hesitantly optimistic) And then Anne Hathaway was confirmed and I was a lot less sure about her. However, having seen the trailer I think I'm going to love her. (Again, I wasn't too fond at first, but now I'm loving it.)

Point being, is anyone else here super excited as well? (Like, I'm going to go midnight if I can at all help it.)

Is this going to be based on the musical or just another rehash of the story? I'm at work right now and can't watch the video. It would be neat if they made the musical into a movie (which I don't think has happened yet) but if it's just another rehash/remake of the story in movie form, then i wouldn't be terribly excited. I really do like Les Mis the musical.

Also: I don't know if i can see Hugh Jackman as Valjean....Though i could probably live with Hathaway

Edit: home now. Yup, it's the musical. I'll probably see it.

I just noticed somethng about the trailer that didn't make sense. At

you can see Fantine singing "I Dreamed a Dream" with her hair chopped off, in the musical she doesn't sell her hair until the next song which is "Lovely Ladies" :huh: Edited by SOM1else

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, Russel Crowe as Javert >.> That role is difficult to play and I doubt Crowe has the emotional subtlety to pull it off.

I love Les Mis, I've seen the stage production twice and every DVD that's ever been released (the best Javert was Norm Lewis) but I don't see why they need to rehash what's already been done. We have a movie with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush that was, in my opinion, a perfect adaption. Even if they did leave out plot points and completely removed Eponine.

Not a big fan of Hathaway either and I don't think she has the voice for any Les Mis role, which are notoriously demanding of all its actors. If she can sing "I Dreamed a Dream" with the harmonies of Lea Salonga I'll change my opinion of her, but I just don't think she'll ever match up to that quality.

I am soooooooooo excited. Definitely midnight release.

I love les mis- I've been listening to the soundtrack since before I can remember, and I was very much not happy that the musical was on tour when we went to new york the summer after 7th grade (we saw phantom instead, which *is* still awesome, but.... LES MIS!). Yeah. So. Excited.

And Lyre, from what I hear it *is* the stage production, and I have faith that they'll do it justice. *You* may have gotten to see it twice, but for us less fortunates this is a dream being realized ^_^

I am soooooooooo excited. Definitely midnight release.

I love les mis- I've been listening to the soundtrack since before I can remember, and I was very much not happy that the musical was on tour when we went to new york the summer after 7th grade (we saw phantom instead, which *is* still awesome, but.... LES MIS!). Yeah. So. Excited.

And Lyre, from what I hear it *is* the stage production, and I have faith that they'll do it justice. *You* may have gotten to see it twice, but for us less fortunates this is a dream being realized ^_^

I'm not convinced. I can almost guarantee this film won't be a candle light aside the brilliance of the official stage production. Seeing the stage production in person is a vastly different experience to watching it on a TV screen - it just doesn't compare.

For one, the singers have voices even professional operatic performers have to admire. You said you live in Texas? The stage version is touring the US and will get to Texas on several dates this year. I highly recommend it.

It was the same as when they did Phantom of the Opera; Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler (as much as I love them as actors) just couldn't belt out the notes - even with audio equalization - that Rachel Barell and John-Owen Jones were capable of without audio enhancement. Stage productions hire professional, top-of-the-class singers, while musical-films hire talented actors with a better than average vocal capability.

Hathaway is a good singer, better than a lot of actual artists that dare call themselves talented, but she's not LesMis quality.

Edited by Lyrebon

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not convinced. I can almost guarantee this film won't be a candle light aside the brilliance of the official stage production. Seeing the stage production in person is a vastly different experience to watching it on a TV screen - it just doesn't compare.

For one, the singers have voices even professional operatic performers have to admire. You said you live in Texas? The stage version is touring the US and will get to Texas on several dates this year. I highly recommend it.

It was the same as when they did Phantom of the Opera; Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler (as much as I love them as actors) just couldn't belt out the notes - even with audio equalization - that Rachel Barell and John-Owen Jones were capable of without audio enhancement. Stage productions hire professional, top-of-the-class singers, while musical-films hire talented actors with a better than average vocal capability.

Hathaway is a good singer, better than a lot of actual artists that dare call themselves talented, but she's not LesMis quality.

Don't forget that Hugh is theater-trained, and Sam has actually played Eponine before. I think they'll be plenty good.

Don't forget that Hugh is theater-trained, and Sam has actually played Eponine before. I think they'll be plenty good.

Yeah I forgot Hugh had those pipes on him. But he might be the only one that can do it justice. I've listened to Crowe several times and noticed he struggles with higher notes and raising his voice in general.

As Javert he might struggle with Stars and Confrontation. Maybe I'm setting my standards way too high but Les Mis has an ineffable beauty I don't want to see underdone, ever. I will end up watching it because I like Hugh Jackman as an actor.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...