Herald Healing 101

Hello everyone.

While browsing the coppermind, I noticed on the copper page, that type of blessing provides Kandra with resistance to madness. 

This got me thinking, shouldn't there be a way for Navani to create an anti-madness fabrial using copper and intelligencespren or mindspren or something similar? 

We have seen that the metals effect in fabrials coincides with their Metallic arts effects. 

Thoughts?

Sure, a Mental Resilience Fabrial is probably possible in theory. It's probably too late for that alone to reverse the damage already sustained by the Heralds, but it might have let them last longer.  

30 minutes ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

Hello everyone.

While browsing the coppermind, I noticed on the copper page, that type of blessing provides Kandra with resistance to madness. 

This got me thinking, shouldn't there be a way for Navani to create an anti-madness fabrial using copper and intelligencespren or mindspren or something similar? 

We have seen that the metals effect in fabrials coincides with their Metallic arts effects. 

Thoughts?

The problem is, that while we know the Blessing of Presence can help with (at least some) versions of madness or mental incapacitation, and that is uses a Copper spike to do so; we do not know what those Blessings have for a Hemalurgic Charge or how they were made. Therefore, we have no idea if a Spren Fabrial could become a similar source of Investiture to replicate the effect. Also, since the Heralds a form of Cognitive Shadow, we do not know if they would react to that kind of spike in the same way that a Kandra (with a physical shell - and - entirely different physiology) can use the Blessing. It's entirely possible that Blessings only work as they do for Mistwraith physiology nd would hove no (or different) effect for a non-Kandra/Mistwraith. Finally, it's been implied that part of the Heraldric Madness is due to the weight of memories in a being not meant to exist so long. It is entirely possible that if they could gain access to breath and learn the technique that Hoid uses to store memories into breath, that could alleviate many of their symptoms. 

6 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Sure, a Mental Resilience Fabrial is probably possible in theory. It's probably too late for that alone to reverse the damage already sustained by the Heralds, but it might have let them last longer.  

Concur - even if I doubt it could cure anything. . . it might help. If you could find a fabrial design (attractor, augmentor, diminisher, etc) to interface correctly with a Cognitive Aspect. 

Edited by Treamayne
Example/SPAG

24 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Concur - even if I doubt it could cure anything. . . it might help. If you could find a fabrial design (attractor, augmentor, diminisher, etc) to interface correctly with a Cognitive Aspect. 

Although I do wonder if you could use a healing fabrial attuned to a Spiritual Aspect in some way to do this. After all, they often describe madness as "cracks in the soul." Could it be possible for a specific fabrial (or really any investiture mechanic, really) to fill in or close up those cracks, maybe even just temporarily?

Just a thought.

26 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

It's entirely possible that Blessings only work as they do for Mistwraith physiology nd would hove no (or different) effect for a non-Kandra/Mistwraith.

The blessings so far seem to match up pretty well, though i suppose this is possible.

27 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Finally, it's been implied that part of the Heraldric Madness is due to the weight of memories in a being not meant to exist so long. It is entirely possible that if they could gain access to breath and learn the technique that Hoid uses to store memories into breath, that could alleviate many of their symptoms. 

They could also make a memory fabrial for the heralds. Hoid is only using breaths because the nature of breath fits his need, I imagine storing memories to prevent / help insanity would also be possible. 

Agreed this is not going to be the fix, but would be the way to mitigate symptoms moving forward once the bulk of their madness is dealt with. I do wonder how Brandon is going to fix them. It would be pretty hard to have Taln as a main POV character with his current level of insanity.

2 hours ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

Agreed this is not going to be the fix, but would be the way to mitigate symptoms moving forward once the bulk of their madness is dealt with. I do wonder how Brandon is going to fix them. It would be pretty hard to have Taln as a main POV character with his current level of insanity.

Technically speaking, we do not know if Taln will be a POV character or not  - we only know for sure that one of the back five will be his Flashback book (but Eshonai Shows that a character need not be active in the current storyline to be a Flashback featured character). 

23 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Technically speaking, we do not know if Taln will be a POV character or not

I thought this was confirmed?

Questioner

So, I was gonna ask about which character the next book would focus on?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, no, that's not spoilery... I said from the get-go I am perfectly all right writing a flashback sequence for a character who has already died in the books. So it's not telling you any spoilers to tell you who the various characters are. So, the front five are Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Eshonai, and Szeth. Those are our front five. And our back five are Lift, Jasnah, Ash, Taln, and Renarin. And, not in that order. I've flipped the order quite a bit as I've been going. 'Cause Dalinar was gonna be book five, and now he's book three. So now Szeth is book five, and Eshonai is book four. Right now, Lift is book six. But the back five, I'm not concerned about, other than making sure I'm setting up the right things, and it's gonna come together.

29 minutes ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

I thought this was confirmed?

Yes, confirmed as Flashback characters:

Spoiler

PyroSkink

Is each book in this series a focus on a particular character? Did I read that somewhere?

Brandon Sanderson

Each one has a flashback sequence dedicated to a certain character, and a plot that has something to do with the flashback sequence. I do this to help differentiate them, and we sometimes call it "their" book--but that's a little of a misnomer, as the main plot may not revolve around the flashback sequence. It will simply relate to it.

PyroSkink

Ah right. It was Kaladin then Shallan, next is Dalinar? Or is it Szeth?

Brandon Sanderson

This one is Dalinar most likely. Then (probably) Eshonai, then Szeth. Unless I swap those two.

Back five are Lift, Renarin, Ash, Taln, Jasnah. Not necessarily in that order. (Though that is the planned order right now.)

I do have to give my standard disclaimer. Someone getting a flashback sequence does not indicate they survive until that book. I'm fully willing to flashback to a character who died in an earlier volume. So that isn't as much of a spoiler as it seems.

And Taln is defined as "The man who thinks of himself as the Herald Taln, and whose viewpoint we got briefly in Words of Radiance."

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Sept. 9, 2016)

<Edited for length>

Questioner

The second set of The Stormlight Archive. Is that the same characters? Or different ones, like you did with Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson

They are same characters, but we're gonna see a few main characters fade to being secondary characters. The ones that survive. And we're gonna see a few minor characters fade to be-- The structure of The Stormlight Archive is: one flashback sequence per book, and a focus on one of the Orders of Knights Radiant per book, and I've already announced who these all are, though I have secrets that pertain to them. Our next two books are Eshonai and Szeth. But, of course, Eshonai is dead. We're gonna see flashbacks from her viewpoint that inform our "now," but I haven't promised that these characters all live. Does that makes sense?

But our back five are Lift, when she's grown up. It'll be about ten years later. I haven't gotten the exact date yet.

Questioner

Is she alive, or a grown-up ghost?

Brandon Sanderson

...If she survives! *laughter* It will be Lift, Renarin, Taln, Ash, and Jasnah. So, yes, your main characters-- some of them are main characters.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)