Help me understand the Alethi military’s ranks and command structure

So yeah, like the title says, I don’t really understand the command structure of the Alethi military.  Can someone answer the questions below?

subsquad 6–8 - sergeant

squad ~25 - squadleader

platoon ~50 - captain/captainlord

company ~100 - companylord

battalion ~1000 - battalionlord

division ~2000 - general

army - highprince

Then there are also the following ranks:

highmarshal, what is his job? What does a highmarshal command and where does he fit in the chain of command? (Kaladin and Perethom (during the rift) were two highmarshals) 

Highofficer, what is his job, what does he command and where does he fit into the chain of command? (Teleb served as highofficer)

company second, am I right to assume it’s just the second in command of a companylord?

Then there are also certain officers who have specific duties, an example of this is the ‘commander of the rearguard’. Where exactly do they fit in the chain of command?

There are also officers who command certain parts of the army, such as the ‘infantrylord’ or ‘Archerlord’. Where do these fit in the chain of command?

Highmarshal has always been used for a leader in City Defense, including when Azure just sort of fell into the role and folks started calling them that. So I think it's a rank for a military-adjacent City Defense (and/or police) force.  

10 hours ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

highmarshal, what is his job? What does a highmarshal command and where does he fit in the chain of command? (Kaladin and Perethom (during the rift) were two highmarshals) 

Amaram was also a highmarshal, specifically absendiar highmarshal. Form Coppermind:

After the swearing of the Vengeance Pact, Amaram remained behind in Alethkar as absendiar highmarshal in command of Highprince Torol Sadeas's soldiers.[4] He was charged with the defense of northern Alethkar,[6]

I would position them in between general and Highprice, with the difference being that Highmarshal commands their own army in the name of their Highprince and has a bigger autonomy and authority than a general. Highmarshal might not even be a military rank, but a distinction, just like the French marshal.

Highofficer, what is his job, what does he command and where does he fit into the chain of command? (Teleb served as highofficer)

I couldn't find any mention of the word highofficer in any book. There is no such rank, in Coppermind it probably is meant to say that he has a high position, but we don't know what rank.

company second, am I right to assume it’s just the second in command of a companylord?

That's my guess too.

Then there are also certain officers who have specific duties, an example of this is the ‘commander of the rearguard’. Where exactly do they fit in the chain of command?

Depending on the size of the rearguard. If 100 men then companylord, if 1000 then companylord etc. That's a duty, not a rank.

There are also officers who command certain parts of the army, such as the ‘infantrylord’ or ‘Archerlord’. Where do these fit in the chain of command?

The only mention of the infantrylord was Perethom in WoK ch 26:

Perethom, his infantrylord, saluted as Dalinar strode up. “Second and Third Battalions are on duty today, Brightlord. Forming ranks to march.”
“First Bridge Squad is gathered, Brightlord,” Havarah—the bridgelord—said, striding up.

There is also a bridgelord here. I'm guessing that's another duty thing, not a military rank. By this quote alone I'm guessing Perethom is responsible for organizing and scheduling the entire infantry divisions of Dalinar's army, in Coppermind it's said that during the burning of Rathalas he was a highmarshal - so I would guess that's his rank, if highmarshal is a military rank. He has a special task of commanding all of Dalinar's infantrymen. But not in the battle type commanding, but the day-to-day type commanding, giving them duties, tasks, guard hours etc. The same goes for the title of a brigdelord, who's responsible for all bridge crews, or the archerlord who's responsible for archers alone (if there is one, as there is no mention of that word in all 4 books). That's supported by the Coppermind, Alethkar#Militarism:

Lighteyed officers that have the command of a branch of the army are usually referred by their duties (e.g. cavalrylord, infantrylord).[124]

Edited by alder24

13 hours ago, alder24 said:

I would position them in between general and Highprice, with the difference being that Highmarshal commands their own army in the name of their Highprince and has a bigger autonomy and authority than a general. Highmarshal might not even be a military rank, but a distinction, just like the French marshal.

That makes sense.

Depending on the size of the rearguard. If 100 men then companylord, if 1000 then companylord etc. That's a duty, not a rank.

I hadn’t actually thought about it like that, but it makes sense that it is a duty instead of a rank.

There is also a bridgelord here. I'm guessing that's another duty thing, not a military rank. By this quote alone I'm guessing Perethom is responsible for organizing and scheduling the entire infantry divisions of Dalinar's army, in Coppermind it's said that during the burning of Rathalas he was a highmarshal - so I would guess that's his rank, if highmarshal is a military rank. He has a special task of commanding all of Dalinar's infantrymen. But not in the battle type commanding, but the day-to-day type commanding, giving them duties, tasks, guard hours etc. The same goes for the title of a brigdelord, who's responsible for all bridge crews, or the archerlord who's responsible for archers alone (if there is one, as there is no mention of that word in all 4 books). That's supported by the Coppermind, Alethkar#Militarism:

Yeah that makes more sense, but Perethom did fight (he died at the tower). So he probably did command, but just not all the infantry. Note that there is an Archerlord mentioned, his name is Ashelem. (Sa1 ch26)

2 hours ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

Yeah that makes more sense, but Perethom did fight (he died at the tower). So he probably did command, but just not all the infantry.

Yes, he fought, we don't know if he commanded some regiments directly, it's possible but it would function in the way appropriate to his rank - highmarshal.

2 hours ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

Note that there is an Archerlord mentioned, his name is Ashelem. (Sa1 ch26)

The Ashelem is mentioned, but the title is not. Note the quote said "the archer company" - one company, so his rank would most likely be a companylord.

“I have word from Ashelem that the archery company is ready.”

On 4/30/2024 at 10:31 PM, alder24 said:

That suggests that Highmarshal is a political role, like viceroy, who not just commands armed forces but is also a government official.