Dragonsteel not in the Cosmere?

Was looking at a quote Zas just posted in another topic and I saw this gem.

GABRIEL

How did the whole cosmere come about?

BRANDON SANDERSON

<snip>

The problem with that is I grew up reading the big epics and I love big epics and they are the books of my heart, like the Wheel of Time. I wanted to write big epics and so I started writing a secret big epic. It started with Elantris, which is the first one that I wrote in the Cosmere and right after it Dragonsteel, which is actually a prequel but in a different universe. I started putting characters from each of these books in the other books to have what I call a hidden epic, mostly for myself, because I had all these books I was going to be selling and marketing separately.

Source

(emphasis added)

Opinions? Did Brandon mean a different world here or did the shattering of adonalsium create a new universe/ warp the people present to a different one? Or does shadesmar link different universes?

I really think Dragonsteel is part of the cosmere. Someone brought this up a while ago, and I stand by what I said there.

Thanks Finallity! From listening to it, it seems to me that Brandon is refers to Dragonsteel as different "universe" he really means that it occurs on a different world. I think he's trying to explain to those who aren't accustomed to the idea of the Cosmere that while Dragonsteel is a prequel to Elantris they don't occur in the same place. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Hoid is from there, and presumably saw Andonalsium Shatter there, all of which is extremely cosmere relevent. I won't say impossible, but I find it highy unlikely that this is a different universe.

• Chaos locked this topic