Question and Answer

Zas678

Hello everyone.

Two questions today.

First, can one feruchemically store something in a hemalurgic spike?

Second, how does one create a hemalurgic spike? Is it s specific process, or could (theoretically) any piece metal become one? If so, would swords (that had killed someone) not carry a charge? Perhaps it has to do with the specific composition of the metal, as it does for an allomancer burning it.

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

Two questions today.

Second, how does one create a hemalurgic spike? Is it s specific process, or could (theoretically) any piece metal become one? If so, would swords (that had killed someone) not carry a charge? Perhaps it has to do with the specific composition of the metal, as it does for an allomancer burning it.

Thanks!

For the first question, I think we have confirmation that you could do that, but it would be more difficult than using an ncharged piece of metal.  I could be mistaken about that.

for the second, the specific composition of the metal is important, and I believe is identical to the various allomantic and ferruchemical metals, however for making a spike there is more to it than that.  it has been noted (though I can't find the source right now) that all of the various cosmere magics require some kind of intent, you have to want to use that magic.  you don't make a hemalurgic spike by just stabbing someone. but if you were already in the process of stabbing someone, and knew what you were doing, you could make one from the sword.

I don't recall much mention of difficulty in terms of storing inside a spike as a metalmind. I believe a certain Inquisitor claims to do that in HoA anyway. I would imagine though, since the spike is invested, that the total capacity of the spike might be less than a normal metalmind of identical volume.

A sword has been known to work, in the same book. At least one person involved in any spiking procedure, however, must actually intend to utilize hemalurgy, meaning it won't work if you were not meaning to do it or did not know the art existed in the first place, even if you do somehow hit a bind point by sheer luck.

Edited by natc

I don't recall much mention of difficulty in terms of storing inside a spike as a metalmind. I believe a certain Inquisitor claims to do that in HoA anyway. I would imagine though, since the spike is invested, that the total capacity of the spike might be less than a normal metalmind of identical volume.

right, but per WoB an invested object resists further investiture, so a charged spike would resist having more investiture (in the form of ferruchemy in this case) added to it.  you can overcome this, but it would have to take extra effort.

1. As has been said, there must be specific intent. Someone in the process must will hemalurgy to happen, or it won't.

2. Composition, as has been mentioned, matters. If you stab a steel spike through someone with no allomancy, it can't take anything.

3. Theftpoints exist. You cannot simply stab someone anywhere; you must stab them through a specific point in their body. WoB has told us that the heart contains theftpoints for most traits, but even then, it seems to be narrowed down to things as specific as nerves; stab the wrong part of the heart, and you won't successfully steal allomantic brass, for example.

As for "is it hard to store in a spike," remember all of the Arts of Scadrial are rather low-Investiture. I suspect it would technically be more difficult, but not to an extreme extent. Like walking across a flat sidewalk is easy; walking across a sidewalk that has a slight incline for a few meters is technically more difficult, but not prohibitively. This is just my impression from the books, however.

Hello everyone.

Two questions today.

Yes he can, but remember that an Hemalurgic spike made of X can stole four different power (one of a quadrant) but the Spike could be use only as Xmind.

Example: You could use an PewterSpike to steal the power of a Tin Ferring (Windwhisper) but you can't of course use that Spike to store sense. If you use another pewterSpike to steal a Brute's power (Pewter Ferring) you could use the Spike also like Pewtermind.

Has anyone asked who it was that was walking in the highstorm while Kaladin and Shallan were stuck in the chasm? I believe the book mentions 2 beings as well

I wondered about that too. I suspect Odium or an Unmade is traveling the storms too, possibly unknown to the Stormfather, and influencing him, contributing to his madness and decision to wipe out the armies of the Alethi.

jW

Edited by Jondesu

I always just figured it was chasmfiends. Many legs, huge, inhuman, there's already something like that in the chasms.

The way it was described, it seemed a lot bigger than any chasmfiend.

“He swore he saw an enormous figure walking up there, a glowing inhuman form, followed by another, alien and sleek. Striding the storm. Leg after leg, until the glow passed.”

WoR Chapter 74

jW

...How is "enormous figure" bigger than any chasmfiend? Wasn't the one he fought in the chasms like fifty feet tall? Is fifty feet not an acceptable value for "enormous"?

I think the combination of it glowing (which sure, maybe chasmfiends do in a storm), and the fact that he didn't describe it like a chasmfiend, which he was familiar with, is what tells me it probably wasn't. Besides, the terminology "inhuman" to me suggests something like a human, but just enough off to be obviously not quite human. I realize that's not what the word actually means, so that's not really part of my argument for it, just an observation of why my mind went there first.

Keep in mind Brandon is very careful with his word choices. If we were meant to decipher that it was a chasmfiend, he'd probably have had Kaladin say it looked like a greatshell or something along those lines. It could just be misdirection of course, also a very Brandon thing to do, but it doesn't read that way to me at first.

jW

Edited by Jondesu

which he was familiar with

Is he? How many has he seen, besides the pupae on the Plains which are apparently very different?

We know they bond to spren and have huge gemhearts inside, so 'glowing' actually made me assume this was a chasmfiend.

Ark:

I didn't mean to be argumentative; I was simply confused. You used two words that seem like perfect words to describe a chasmfiend, and presented them as though they suggested it wasn't a chasmfiend. I was simply confused.

I believe it was meant to be subtle, something we look at later after we've discovered the answer and thought, "Hey wow, I should have seen that!" But that's just me. I'm not positive they're chasmfiends, but at the moment they seem the most likely suspect. New information might change that.

What happens if something is cut through the cognitive realm?

The only thing I could thing is about "destroy part of the target's cognitive aspect" (memory, Intellect, will). The result may be someone in vegetative state.

EDIT: Another option is the "melting" of the target without any sense of self.

Have any of these ever been asked and answered?

Stormlight and spren

In Shadesmar, cognitive aspects are contained within glass beads. Are these spren?

Stormlight is contained in gems (which the people of Roshar also encase in glass beads), and Shinovar, the one place on Roshar untouched by highstorms, there are no spren. Is there a connection between spren and Stormlight?

Kabsal

Was Kabsal ever a real ardent, or was he just an exceptionally cunning and convincing assassin?

Syl

When Kaladin was strung up in the highstorm, Syl placed herself in front of him with arms outstretched as if to defend him from the wind. Does she actually have any capacity to manipulate air currents, or was this a sweet but futile act of desperation?

Dawnsingers and Parshendi/Voidbringers

Both (apparently) sing. Could the Parshendi be both the Dawnsingers and the Voidbringers, or, if not, are they related, even if only inversely?

I believe the current estimate is Christmastime 2016.

Last night at the Houston SoS signing stop he said "Trying for Christmas 2016. The book tours are complicating that work right now, but I'm really pushing to keep that date."