Question and Answer

Zas678

I honestly think looking at that quote that it should be interpreted as the moment the Well began to refill. A man was killed by the mists in the very beginning of Well of Ascension, long before the Well was completely full.

Hasn't the Well been refilling for 1024 years, though? Or does it just sit there for 1023 then starting refilling for a year or something?

Hasn't the Well been refilling for 1024 years, though? Or does it just sit there for 1023 then starting refilling for a year or something?

I can't find an exact quote on that, but other WoBs imply that someone can only take the power every 1024 years and that the Snapping off the mists was related to Preservation "freaking out" about Ruin escaping, so I would think that no matter the process of the filling, the power did not become available until the well was full.

In response to Windrunner, do we know that the well was not full in the beginning of WoA? Vin heard the thumping and saw the spirit pretty early on.

This happened while Vin approached the Well of Ascension—by way of trivia, the mists changed the very moment the full power of the Well returned to be drawn again.

Thank you SO much for finding that, Moogle! Sorting through all of those annotations isn't easy. You should post your strategies for finding this stuff.

THIS IS MY INTERPRETATION OF THE QUOTE:

I think that that the Well filled all at once. The Investiture couldn't be taken up before that, but it still existed "in" the Well. An extrapolation of this interpretation could be that the Pits of Hathsin were a collection of little "Wells" that had a shorter "reload" time than the Well of Ascension. 

Thank you SO much for finding that, Moogle! Sorting through all of those annotations isn't easy. You should post your strategies for finding this stuff.

For finding these things, I tend to use Google. If you type site:17thshard.com along with a Google search, it restricts results to these forums, and if you get lucky you can usually find someone who's already linked the WoB in question (which happened for me with that one). You can do site:brandonsanderson.com as well to just search the annotations, and a similar thing with Theoryland. Theoryland's search works okay for me though.

Sometimes I'm forced to do more detective work and actually (shudder) use this forum's search function and restrict my results only to the "Events & Signings" section. But sometimes that doesn't work, because people post the occasional signing report in the most random of places and Theoryland doesn't have them added. Kurk actually has a file he keeps where if he has a hard time finding a WoB, he sticks it in there for future reference, and you can always ask him.

One day, I pray, all the WoBs will be collected on Theoryland with no Robert Jordan stuff. But for now, it's really hard.

Edited by Moogle

...Kurk actually has a file he keeps where if he has a hard time finding a WoB, he sticks it in there for future reference, and you can always ask him.

It's a bookmarks folder on my browser, actually. :P

Why does the Stormfather call himself a Sliver in WoR instead of a Splinter?

He doesnt call himself a Sliver, he calls himself a sliver of the Almighty. It's not capitalized.

Still, the terminology is appropriate, as he's a Cognitive Shadow and not in fact a spren(?). (Whether or not that means he's actually Tanavast's ghost is up for debate in my opinion.)

It does seem like he holds/has held a significant portion of Honor's power (assuming Stormlight = Honor's Investiture, which is still speculation), so calling himself a sliver works. And if he's Tanavast's ghost, then he is indeed a Sliver.

You're right to be confused though, because all spren should be Splinters. The Stormfather is weird. We're still not entirely sure on what's going on there.

Question (Paraphrased)

So what happens when Shards die?

Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

Well, it depends on how long the Shardholders have held the Shard. After they dies, the Shard is often able to continue acting, a kind of "Cognitive shadow". For example, the mists were able to continue doing what Preservation wished in helping out Vin and snapping people. With the Stormfather, he is that Cognitive shadow, and he's semi sentient. It's that power, but no one is actually holding it. We also see this on Threnody.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

Raoden hears a voice in Endowment's(?) Shardpool. I wouldn't be so sure they don't.

I think you mean Devotion (Endowment is Nalthis after all).  As for the voice in the Pool, I've always been of the opinion that it was less "some entity trying to tell Raoden something" and more "Raoden's brain is interpreting a feeling given off by the Pool into words he can understand".

Typo on my part, I did mean Devotion. (Calling it 'the voice' tripped me up, since a WoB uses that for Endowment speaking to Lightsong.)

Your theory would make sense, but I'm not sure. The following speaks to there being something more:

There is another important element to this teleportation. I thought it important to involve deity in the climax of what has been such an overtly religious book. You may not believe in God, and it is never my intention to belittle your choices. However, the format of this book has been one that dealt with religion and the way that people interact with their faith. And so, I took this last moment of the book, and gave Raoden an opportunity to call upon the aid of providence.
Raoden arrives safely, despite the odds against his having gotten the distance, direction, and other factors right. You are free to simply think of this as luck, if you wish.
(source)

Might be the God Beyond or something, but a Cognitive Shadow seems likely as well to me.

Edited by Moogle

Speaking o' which, who exactly (or not exactly) is the God Beyond.

I kinda hope it just ends up being a small monkey fed extremely large amounts of Gin. Like Lightsong was actually right all along.

'He knew the truth about the universe the WHOLE TIME and tried to warn us! That;s why he really Returned, but we didn't listen. We didn't listen!!"

I would laugh myself to death if that actually happened.

Edited by Slater

What books does he appear in?

The God Beyond (which we do not know the gender of btw) is referenced in The Emperor's Soul (as the Unknown God by Shai), Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (by Silence), The Alloy of Law (by Wayne I believe), and Words of Radiance (by Hoid).

As a note: the Unknown God definitely seems to be the God Beyond, as per this WoB:

Windrunner17 ()
Shai refers to an Unknown God, is this at all related to the rocks that fell from the sky that Shai's ancestors carved?

Brandon Sanderson
For her people, there is a relationship. But watch for mentions of the God Beyond in the books. There is more here.
(source)

Adonalsium is as good a guess as any. Perhaps it has something to do with the afterlife Shards cannot see into. That would fit the 'Beyond' bit of the name quite well.