Silver in the Cosmere

I've been thinking about how silver works in the Cosmere, and realized that we know that it interrupts investiture. My thoughts are that silver is allomantically inert due to needing to be an alloy with another metal to be burned by a Mistborn or else it just does nothing as it has the ability to interrupt investiture. 

In addition, we know that Electrum (45% gold, 55% silver) is able to block the godmetal of Ruin (Atium). Do we know if the other godmetals have a silver counter part that can interrupt them as well? 

Can someone tell me if I am just slowly losing my mind or if I'm on to something with silver, because the amount of disruptive power that it seems to have for the few times it has shown up I think could be huge and we as a fan base are just overlooking it. 

Welcome to the Shard. Pleae consider posting in your profile or an introductory thread which books you have or have not yet read (whichever list is shorter), so that we can spoiler things appropriately (if needed). Also, here are some tips and tools you may not yet be familiar with, since each online forum is slightly different:

Spoiler
  • At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link.
  • At the bottom right you will see an heart icon (and possibly different reactions in the future).
  • At the top right you will see a hamburger menu (three dots) which shows: Report, Share, and (your posts only) Edit and Hide tools.

Likes/Reactions:

Spoiler
  • The Heart Icon (Like) is how you thank people or "like" a post
    • Likes, Mentions and Quotes should all send an alert to the appropriate person - even when added to an old post through the Edit feature.

Report Tool:

Spoiler
  • Use  the Report tool to report any post (your own or others) to a forum Mod
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.
    • For reporting Spam, only report a single post by the user to let the Mods and Admins know - they get messages for each "report" so reporting each Spam post is annoying and unnecessary. If all posts by a "new user" (bot) are all spam - then all of those posts will be deleted when that account is deleted.

Hide Tool:

Spoiler
  • Use the Hide tool to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting (useful for accidental double-posts)
    • Hiding the first post in a Thread will hide the threan as long as ther have been no replies (Needs Testing)

Mentions:

Spoiler
  • You can "Mention" a person by typing "@" and slowly typing their user name (spelling matters). As you spell their name, the interface will show a pop-up with matches - when you match appears, click it to add the Mention
    • Likes, Mentions and Quotes should all send an alert to the appropriate person - even when added to an old post through the Edit feature.

Quote Methods:

Spoiler
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is (adding a carraige return if necessary)
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you can click that for each post you want to quote
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically with one blank line between each for you to add your comment(s)
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote Selection" button that pops up.
    • This will also be added to the cursor location, rather than the bottom of the reply.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
    • This is also how you can add quotes to an Edit of your own post. You quote using any of the methods above and the quote will go to the reply section. You then hover over the four-way arrow and use CTRL+C to cut the quote, which you can then paste into your edit window.

Editing posts:

Spoiler
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title (important for changing accidental spoilers)
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.

Other:

Spoiler
  • Quotes and Spoilers are very similar, but here are the differences:
    • Spoiler tags are default "closed" and are not attributed - they may be opened by clicking the spoiler box title
    • Quotes are default "open" (but may be closed by clicking the Quote Title and are denoted by the basic arrow icon on the left side of the quote title), If the quote was added with one of the methods explained above, it will be attributed - if it was added with the quote icon in the Reply/Edit tools, it will not be attributed.
    • Attributed Quotes will have a curved arrow icon on the right side of the quote title to jump directly to the post from which the quote was taken.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, SilverShard said:

I've been thinking about how silver works in the Cosmere, and realized that we know that it interrupts investiture. My thoughts are that silver is allomantically inert due to needing to be an alloy with another metal to be burned by a Mistborn or else it just does nothing as it has the ability to interrupt investiture. 

In addition, we know that Electrum (45% gold, 55% silver) is able to block the godmetal of Ruin (Atium). Do we know if the other godmetals have a silver counter part that can interrupt them as well? 

Can someone tell me if I am just slowly losing my mind or if I'm on to something with silver, because the amount of disruptive power that it seems to have for the few times it has shown up I think could be huge and we as a fan base are just overlooking it. 

You are not losing your mind. WoBs:

Spoiler

Questioner

Does silver break Connection or bonds? If silver does have this effect, does it get used in the creation of unkeyed metalminds?

Brandon Sanderson

These are good questions. Silver, as I have it right now, is not capable of that. What silver's doing is is disrupting. It's more like interference. You know how, in White Sand, people can have these columns of sand. If you swiped silver through that, they would fall; but then they would be able to do it again. It's this little nullification for a short time. It's very dangerous to things like shades, and stuff like that. It's more disruptive. If you hit a spren with this, it would be like hitting them with a Shardblade. They're gonna come back together. They're not dead; they're gonna reform eventually, and probably won't take too long. So it's not severing Connection; you're gonna need anti-Investiture to do really destructive stuff. But you can disrupt with some silver. It's specifically bad for Shades for reasons maybe I'll get into someday.

Dragonsteel 2023 (Nov. 21, 2023)

Argent

It seems there is a special interaction between silver and investiture, in at least certain places in the Cosmere. We've seen how silver interacts with aethers, and we've seen over on Threnody. So that makes silver the second really really special metal to interact with investiture. Is the plan now to have aluminum block investiture, and silver destroy investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's the way I'm going with it. To make a distinction between them, that's where we're going.

Argent

But silver is still non-allomantic. No silvereyes.

Brandon Sanderson

No, non-allomantic, yup. No silvereyes. This is my nod towards silvereye-ness, and yeah, there we go.

Argent

So would [silver] be effective against spren, just like [anti-Investiture]?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, you'll have to find out. RAFO!

Footnote: Argent tried. He also horribly mangled his last question, but it got RAFO'd, so that doesn't matter...
Shardcast Interview (July 30, 2023)

That's not how Allomantic electrum works - it just shows you YOUR future, while Atium shows you the future of others. Anytime you can see the future, you can react to it, thus you can change the future and react to it changing it again and again and again - this means someone with Atium looking at you will see all those different shadows showing them all different paths you can take. That's what A-electrum does, it just allows you to see the future and that alone disrupts the future sight of others. 

You look into the future by using Fortune and looking into the Spiritual Realm - that's what both Atium (in its pure and alloyed version) and Electrum does. However, Allomantic gold shows you your past (or alternative present), and it likely works via the same mechanism - by drawing Fortune and looking into the Spiritual Realm. That's why I think silver is unrelated to what's happening with electrum, because other metals without it can do more or less the same thing - peer into the Spiritual Realm. Feruchemists tapping Fortune from chromium would also counter A-Atium by splitting their shadows - this is not unique to electrum, it's just a general rule of future sight. HoA ch 3:

Vin burned electrum. This created a cloud of images around her, shadows of possible things she could do in the future. Electrum, the Allomantic complement of gold. Elend had started calling it "poor man's atium." It wouldn't affect the battle much, other than to make her immune to atium, should the Inquisitor have any.

Spoiler

Questioner

How does electrum work?

Brandon Sanderson

Electrum can see future shadows only as far in the future as is done with atium in the books. They use it to counter atium in that they see their own future shadow fighting, and if they see their shadow get hit by an attack, they know to avoid that attack, and they change their own future. This compounds the future shadows they see, which makes it practically as effective at countering atium as atium itself.

While the scope of an electrum shadow is very limited, it could be useful in many situations. Like if you were playing tennis, you’d be able to look at your shadow and tell if you managed to hit the ball or not, and adjust accordingly. That would still take a lot of practice to master, but it could be very effective.

Miscellaneous 2016 (July 15, 2016)

Spoiler

Wigginns

What would a Hemalurgic spike granting atium do for an Allomancer already able to burn atium? Does it function similarly to bronze, granting enhanced atium-ing? Along this line of thought, would enhancing electrum burning via spike be of any advantage?

Brandon Sanderson

A spike of something you have would enhance your ability, giving your more strength. With atium, more strength makes for a minimal edge--the length you can push out the atium shadows. However, there's a certain breaking point where you kind of crack the whole system, peer straight into the [Spiritual Realm], and kind of have a "It's full of stars" moment.

Electrum could reach this same moment, potentially, though there's more interference to fight through. Extra strength in electrum isn't going to be terribly useful up to that point.

Alsadius

Is that what happened when atium was burned with duralumin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Footnote: In his original response Brandon mistakenly said burning atium and duralumin would cause the Allomancer to peer into the Cognitive Realm, rather than Spiritual Realm. He has since confirmed that this was a mistake.
/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 1, 2015)

Spoiler

TearablePuns

Can a person compounding Luck defeat a Mistborn burning atium?

Brandon Sanderson

*Hesitantly* Yes. That is theoretically possible. I would say the emphasis on, "Could there?" But it is plausible that that could get around it.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

While silver is Allomantically inert, it can still be steelpushed despite its disruptive properties. I highly doubt you can alloy silver with any of 16 base metals, it doesn't really make sense, silver is not a god metal like Atium is (which can be alloyed with all 16 base metals and produce different effects). If that would work in this way it would mean that electrum is NOT a real pair for gold and there exists another metal that should be paired for gold - this was already disproven because Sazed gave Scadians tables for Metallic Arts with metals unknown to them and they contain electrum as one of the base 16 metals. I'm sure Brandon would not want to make another blender like he did with Atium retcon, and hid from us that electrum doesn't belong where it do.

Yep, nope, you are 100% right on the HoA quote. I just completely forgot and got way to wrapped up with Stormlight and re-reading Shadows for Silence that my brain went full red string. 

I still think there's something about silver and the interruptions in investiture it seems to cause, but I might be looking in the wrong places and reaching way too much.