Do dragonsteel tickets sell out?

2022 was my first (and only so far) time at Dragonsteel and I remember getting tickets as soon as they dropped. I don't know the exact timing but Sanderson and the cosmere have only gotten more popular so I would expect them to sell out for sure. How soon, I'm not sure, but I would be on the site at the time they release if you can be

I did the charity magic draft that year (and got to draft with Isaac Stewart!) and those tickets sold out very fast

Tickets do sell out and on a Stormlight year I expect it to be fast, probably in the first day, very possibly in hours. They're increasing the tickets though if I remember correctly. 

As Will mentioned, there are also a few panels or activities at the con with tickets of their own - these don't tend to cost money. They sell out fast too, especially anything that Brandon's in. You can sign up to get notified if one of those tickets gets dropped, which does sometimes happen as time goes on. 

Merch budget is really up to you and what you're interested in; there are a ton of vendors with awesome stuff and Sanderson art and books and so on, it's easy to spend hundreds of dollars there on merch alone. The book itself will probably be $35-40 USD, but signed and numbered copies sold with the con tickets are likely to have a merch bundle sold with them which will make it more expensive. No idea how much that will be; last year it was $75 I think? Wouldn't be surprised if this year it was $100 😬 

• 2 months later...

Quick question for you guys! I’m going to Dragonsteel with a group of friends this year and all but one of us were able to get tickets. Is there any way she can still get a ticket even though they’re sold out? Do they ever add more tickets, or do people sell them? I also saw that on the website I can refund my ticket if I end up not being able to go, is there a way to get notified through email or something if someone refunds their ticket so my friend could purchase it?

Edit: It turns out I accidentally bought 2 tickets for myself because the website was being weird and I had thought my first purchase hadn’t gone through. I was able to transfer that extra ticket to my friend so we’re all good!

Edited by Rebecca

On 2/21/2024 at 4:17 PM, Yazthelightweaver said:

So I am a first time attendee for dragonsteel and I wanna know are the normal tickets the type of thing to sell out in like a couple hours or minents or do they stay on sale for like months. What’s a good buget for the merch, and how much is the actual book itself 

Well now we know. 1,500 VIP tickets sold out in 6 minutes and the rest of the 6,000 tickets sold out in less than an hour. 

This year the book bundle was $80 which included the 

• Signed, stamped, and numbered copy of Wind and Truth
  • NEW Stormlight Epic Bookmark
  • Szeth Cosmere Character Collectible Pin
  • Chull plushie

As for releasing more tickets — last year when Dragonsteel sold out they were able to rent more room in the convention center and then add more tickets. I am not sure if they have reached their capacity for space or if renting more space is an option this year. 

As for tickets becoming available- just keep watching. (Like check everyday) As people become vendors, as couples break up, as life happens and plans change, people will drop their tickets. I did hear last year that some people had bought tickets that people were reselling for more than they had paid for them. I’m not sure where people resell them though. My heart goes out to those people who have already bought non-refundable plane tickets and couldn’t get tickets. I hope that they figure out a way to get tickets. 

As for merchandise - I have mixed feelings about this. I spent over 4 hours in line last year just to buy things from the Sanderson store. It made me upset because I waited in line the first day of the convention and some of the things (pins) were not available to purchase until the 2nd day of the convention so I had to stand in line again the 2nd day to get the pins. Grrrr. I felt that had everything been available to purchase the first day that would have cut down on line times and also allowed me more time to shop at the vender booths. I’ve now realized that Dragonsteel Store will restock everything - but the vender booths are usually only one chance.  We got some great things at the vendor booths last year but other people had to point them out to me because I didn’t have much time to browse them myself. Also be ready for Dragonsteel to surprise you with something that you want that you didn’t know existed because you will want something new! I hope this helps a little bit. 

Edited by JoyBlu

Well, I guess since I was in school for the first HOUR, I just can't go now 😞

On 5/7/2024 at 12:22 PM, JoyBlu said:

As for releasing more tickets — last year when Dragonsteel sold out they were able to rent more room in the convention center and then add more tickets. I am not sure if they have reached their capacity for space or if renting more space is an option this year. 

I don't think they need to rent out more rooms I think they need to rent out the entire salt palace

On 5/8/2024 at 9:43 AM, simat101 said:

Well, I guess since I was in school for the first HOUR, I just can't go now 😞

I’m feeling you—they even released another thousand but I missed it and now they’re all gone. 

On 5/9/2024 at 3:20 PM, Edema Rue said:

I’m feeling you—they even released another thousand but I missed it and now they’re all gone. 

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure all 7,500 were there from the start, they didn't release another thousand later on. There have been no tickets released since that first drop (other than the ones Brandon is trying to fix people who had nonrefundable flights up with).