Brandon comparison crew

This forum is for discussing our favorite parts of Brandon Sanderson and Brandon Mull books and comparing their books and writing styles and what we most like about them. I just really want to see how many people who read Sanderson also read Mull. I do like how in depth both of there world building is but I think Mull builds a new world faster and more understandable and Sanderson can balance multiple points of view and still keep the story understandable. What are your opinions or comparisons between their books  and characters.  

6 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Seth is just Dalinar,

I assume your talking about Seth in Dragonwatch not in the Fablehaven because I agree that in Dragonwatch Seth has to go through similar things Dalinar did but in much less time.

6 minutes ago, Highprince10 said:

I assume your talking about Seth in Dragonwatch not in the Fablehaven because I agree that in Dragonwatch Seth has to go through similar things Dalinar did but in much less time.

Yeah. When I think about Seth, I primarily think about Dragonwatch because I read Dragonwatch first and the first of those books the most out of all the books in the series. I think of Fablehaven Seth as the the first arc of his that sets up his next arcs in Dragonwatch.

Random interjection- Is Dragonwatch really any good? I read fablehaven and then started Dragonwatch but got really bored... Of course, that was just my opinion two years ago...

I think the Beyonder's has a similarish feel to Mistborn at times. 

20 minutes ago, Forts Board said:

Random interjection- Is Dragonwatch really any good? I read fablehaven and then started Dragonwatch but got really bored... Of course, that was just my opinion two years ago...

I think the Beyonder's has a similarish feel to Mistborn at times. 

Beyonders is great in that way!

DRAGONWATCH IS AMAZING!!!!!

I am a big fan of Dragonwatch. I love the first book so much, I would uphold it as probably one of Brandon Mull's best books. I've read that one so many times.

Dragonwatch is worth a read because it adds a lot to the characters and has a lot of fun story stuff and there's so much more lore thrown in. I would even say it's better than Fablehaven. 

12 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Beyonders is great in that way!

I am a big fan of Dragonwatch. I love the first book so much, I would uphold it as probably one of Brandon Mull's best books. I've read that one so many times.

Dragonwatch is worth a read because it adds a lot to the characters and has a lot of fun story stuff and there's so much more lore thrown in. I would even say it's better than Fablehaven. 

I agree with this. Fablehaven is pretty awesome on its own, but Dragonwatch just gives so much depth to the world and develops the characters a lot in a really cool way.

7 hours ago, Forts Board said:

Okay, I love Fablehaven...but I love Dragonwatch. The world really opens up, and several of the characters gain quite a bit more depth and developement. This is my favourite series by Brandon Mull, and I highly recommend it if you enjoyed Fablehaven!

Otherwise, to answer the OP, Calvin gives me strong spren vibes, which made me laugh when I first made the connection.

23 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I agree with you Dragonwatch is so fascinating and probably one of my favorite series that isn't a Sanderson series I really like the character development and how complicated  but simple it all is.

…I saw this thread and immediately thought of something Brandon Mull said when I was listening to him speak: “Yeah, so I’m the other Mormon Brandon fantasy author who lives in Utah County.”

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

…I saw this thread and immediately thought of something Brandon Mull said when I was listening to him speak: “Yeah, so I’m the other Mormon Brandon fantasy author who lives in Utah County.”

XDD

Brandon Mull is just awesome.

I've noticed several parallels between them

The echolands are eerily similar to the cognitive realm

There's also a direct reference to shardplate in Candy shop war 3

Nedwin and Spook remind me of each other.

Torivorian swords are slightly weaker shardblades.

16 minutes ago, Lord Spirit said:

The echolands are eerily similar to the cognitive realm

I never noticed how similar those are but your right and the more power you have in the five kingdoms the easier it is to stick around in the echolands similar to how the more invested you are when you die the longer you can stay in the cognitive realm. 

1 hour ago, Iron-Eyes said:

No, I've also never read that.

Dragonwatch is the continuation of Fablehaven, but with more dragons and cool stuff.

Basically, Fablehaven is a series where Seth and Kendra, a brother and sister duo, wind up at their Grandfather's mansion on a big estate while their parents are in India or something. They wind up finding out that Fablehaven, the property, is really a refuge for magical creatures and that their grandpa is the caretaker for them. Wacky hijinks occur and they suddenly find themselves saving the world every few books.

53 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Dragonwatch is the continuation of Fablehaven, but with more dragons and cool stuff.

Basically, Fablehaven is a series where Seth and Kendra, a brother and sister duo, wind up at their Grandfather's mansion on a big estate while their parents are in India or something. They wind up finding out that Fablehaven, the property, is really a refuge for magical creatures and that their grandpa is the caretaker for them. Wacky hijinks occur and they suddenly find themselves saving the world every few books.

Thanks for the explanation.