which book should i read next

gucjhv

7 minutes ago, gucjhv said:

i have finished mistborn era 1 and half of era 2 and i have read elantris which book should i read next

I would recommend Arcanum Unbounded (All of the short stories except for edgedancer), Warbreaker or the Way of Kings. 

8 hours ago, gucjhv said:

i have finished mistborn era 1 and half of era 2 and i have read elantris which book should i read next

There are as many "reading order" lists as there are people who have read the cosmere, Please see these posts for much discussion on the topic:

Really, in my experience, giving a new reader enough information to make an informed decision will usually turn out better than just telling them what order to read (because each of us have different preferences and tolerances). 

So, with that in mind, here is what I wrote up and turned into an ePub to share with my friends and coworkers:

Spoiler

As previously mentioned, this suggested reading order is a very personal preference and I doubt any two readers of the Cosmere would agree 100% on the things mentioned below. Therefore, this guide will simply suggest a starting point (or four) and you can reasonably assume that after those four items, remaining entries can be read in any preferred order. Possible spoilers will be noted for later works when those warnings may help inform your decision of what to read next.

1—Start with either Elantris (if you prefer a slightly more cerebral and political work with most action in the climax) or the original Mistborn Trilogy (The Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages). if you want a more action oriented introduction to the Cosmere.

2—Continue in the Cosmere with other option from above- either Elantris or Mistborn Era 1. You can also take this opportunity to continue those stories with their associated short fiction—Hope of Elantris and Eleventh Metal, respectively.

• Note: Hope of Elantris takes place immediately after Elantris; but Eleventh Metal is a prelude to Mistborn: The Final Empire. The Eleventh Metal and may be read any time after reading the first Mistborn book (it can even be read before The Final Empire, but there may be some things that don't quite make sense without the context the novel provides).

3—We recommend you continue with Warbreaker. While it may be read at any time before Stormlight Archive, some impact will be lost (reversals) if you wait too long after Mistborn and Elantris to read it. Free on website here. With Annotations.

4—The Emperor's Soul is the next logical step. Not only is it a Hugo award winning novella, but it lays out some foundational aspects of the Cosmere and its magic system(s) in a simple and relatable way making it a cornerstone to understanding "the stories behind the stories" in the greater Cosmere.

Everything else can generally be read in its in-world order, except where noted below.

Arcanum Unbounded: Scadrial Essay—Do not read before Alloy of Law. Spoilers for the entire first trilogy.

Mistborn: Secret History—Chronologically set during the events of Era 1 Mistborn. However, it has spoilers for all three of those books, as well as Bands of Mourning. It is not recommended to read before Bands of Mourning.

• If it has been a while since you read the first trilogy, you may want to consider rereading that before reading Secret History as well.

White Sand—(White Sand Versions Guide)—Read any time after The Emperor's Soul and before Bands of Mourning/Stormlight Archive. Also, consider reading this before the essays in Arcanum Unbounded (very minor Cosmere spoiler):

Spoiler

(the in-world author of the essays is introduced in this story - she is also the "author" of the Ars Arcanum at the end of each novel). Not really a spoiler for other stories, but it does provide some context for later Mistborn and SA stories.

The Lost Metal (Mistborn Era 2)—Should not be read before Rhythm of War (Book 4 of the Stormlight Archive).

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell—Read before Oathbringer (Book 3 of the Stormlight Archive)

Sixth of the Dusk—Read before Tress of the Emerald Sea.

Edit: Cosmere Index a/o 20240128 (Series Interal Order)

Spoiler

COSMERE BY
BRANDON SANDERSON

THE COSMERE

ARCANUM UNBOUNDED (Anthology)
Stories from this collection are marked with an asterisk
Planet essays for each region are new content

THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE

The Way of Kings

Words of Radiance

AU Essay: Roshar*

Edgedancer*

Oathbringer

Dawnshard

Rhythm of War

MISTBORN ERA 1

The Eleventh Metal*

Mistborn: The Final Empire

The Well of Ascension

The Hero of Ages

Mistborn: Secret History*

MISTBORN ERA 2

The Alloy of Law

AU Essay: Scadrial*

Allomancer Jak*

Shadows of Self

The Bands of Mourning

The Lost Metal

NALTHIS

Warbreaker

SEL

Elantris

AU Essay: Sel*

Hope of Elantris*

The Emperor's Soul*

TALDAIN

AU Essay: Taldain*

White Sand Graphic novel

THRENODY

AU Essay: Threnody*

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell*

DROMINAD

AU Essay: Drominad*

Sixth of the Dusk*

(Shadows Beneath Version Recommended)

SECRET PROJECTS

Tress of the Emerald Sea

Yumi and the Nightmare Painter

The Sunlit Man

Curiosities

Way of Kings Prime

Aether of Night

White Sand Prose

Worldhoppers—This is the term for people that move between worlds in the Cosmere. Some indications that a character on-screen (other than recognizing their name, when that has not been changed) may be a worldhopper include (but are not limited to):
—Malaproprisms or vocabulary that does not fit the context/setting
—Similes and metaphors from a different setting
—Descriptive similarity exemptions (looks or seems like [race/culture] except [feature/reason]).

When in doubt, publishing order is usually a good guideline as well. 

Hope that helps and welcome to the Shard.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG/Links/Index