Stones Unhallowed: The Way of Kings - Unoffical Metroidvania Game (Trailer)

Sudonym

Hey Y'all! For any fans of old school metroidvania games, we're excited to share the official trailer for Stones Unhallowed, a fan-made game based on the prologue of The Way of Kings -- coming soon!

Check out the trailer here:

Step into the robes of Szeth-son-son-Vallano, the Assassin in White. Experience the thrill of lashing mechanics and intense battles as you attempt to defeat Gavilar Kholin. This project has been a labor of love, blending classic Metroidvania gameplay with the rich lore and magic systems of the Stormlight Archive.

If you're interested in the project, please join us on Discord -- we've just created a new server where we'll post any news, as well as recruiting alpha testers: https://discord.com/invite/cHBS9M5BXS

This looks amazing! Great job on making the Lashings work.

Playing as Szeth on the night he killed Gavilar? Sounds awesome.

I was caught off guard by the voice acting, I assumed it'd just be text bubbles.

Overall it's phenomenal work and I can't wait to see it finished.

4 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

This looks amazing! Great job on making the Lashings work.

Playing as Szeth on the night he killed Gavilar? Sounds awesome.

I was caught off guard by the voice acting, I assumed it'd just be text bubbles.

Overall it's phenomenal work and I can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks!!

There really isn't much dialogue in the prologue, and I really hate working with the canvas / text UI in Unity, so it was actually easier just to coerce my friend into recording the audio 😂

I'm still on the fence whether to keep it, just do text bubbles, or do both

Edited by Sudonym

4 hours ago, Sudonym said:

Thanks!!

There really isn't much dialogue in the prologue, and I really hate working with the canvas / text UI in Unity, so it was actually easier just to coerce my friend into recording the audio 😂

I'm still on the fence whether to keep it, just do text bubbles, or do both

Could do both, non-important NPC's could just get text-bubbles but any important characters could get both text and a voice?

Will the gameplay focus solely on Gravitation or will Adhesion get some use as well? Could be used to briefly immobilize enemies to the floor.

Either way, this seems like it'll be really fun. Once you do finish it where will it be available? 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:49 PM, JustQuestin2004 said:

Could do both, non-important NPC's could just get text-bubbles but any important characters could get both text and a voice?

Will the gameplay focus solely on Gravitation or will Adhesion get some use as well? Could be used to briefly immobilize enemies to the floor.

Either way, this seems like it'll be really fun. Once you do finish it where will it be available? 

Yeah, it's possible -- at that point I would likely do a full dialogue system and show both for any voiced parts and then just text bubble for other parts.

Right now it's just Gravitation, although I am toying with the idea of using Adhesion -- I have added a cool bit where the spearmen now drop spears and you can stick them up as an ad-hoc spike trap. I might add archers and then you could pull the arrows towards some location, that ould be cool.

I will likely post it on my github or itch.io as a web based (webgl) game. Right now I have an alpha build on my Github which I've posted in the discord server to gather feedback / suggestions, etc.

57 minutes ago, Sudonym said:

Right now it's just Gravitation, although I am toying with the idea of using Adhesion -- I have added a cool bit where the spearmen now drop spears and you can stick them up as an ad-hoc spike trap. I might add archers and then you could pull the arrows towards some location, that ould be cool.

Interesting, then again Adhesion isn't the most practical Surge for direct combat, and Szeth definitely has an affinity for Gravitation.

Still, the way you're making it work seems intricate and interesting.

Also just spit balling here, maybe if you do another one of these in the future you could do Edgedancer? Abrasion seems like a fun Surge for a parkour type-level, maybe some inspiration from Sonic's momentum stuff? Progression could let you form platforms with plant seeds? Plus more challenging opponents from fellow Radiants with no Blade except at the end fight with Nale, that ends with a hug of course. Though this is just speculating.

Oh awesome, I'd been seeing the occasional updates in the 17S discord but I didn't realize there was so much to it! This trailer got me really excited :D