Engraving?

Forgery, eh? Sounds cool. Write your name on something with the right intent, and it becomes yours, as if forged?

Going off of how the pages Brandon read were described, I pictured it more as essentially 'forging' a false history or nature for whatever you engraved...that basically ends up supplanting the real history/nature of the stone, and changing or rewriting its history or nature in the process.

Which, if true, could have TONS of awesome applications, and wouldn't need to be limited to just stone. But as Peter said, way too early to tell if that's true or not.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about what Forgery does or does not do. Once we have an excerpt posted (months from now) or if you hear Brandon read it at a convention (such as Australia upcoming), then you can start speculating. At this point, judging by what's written in this thread, it's too early.

Your right in thinking speculation may be too early. We have a secondhand account of a a half written novella, so I'm sure everything we think we know is subject to change. Do you have any idea of Brandon's plans for this novella? Would he perhaps work on it between AMoL and Stormight 2 to get away from the big epics ?

Your right in thinking speculation may be too early. We have a secondhand account of a a half written novella, so I'm sure everything we think we know is subject to change. Do you have any idea of Brandon's plans for this novella? Would he perhaps work on it between AMoL and Stormight 2 to get away from the big epics ?

I doubt it... He said at both the Houston AoL signing and the reading at LTUE he would be heading straight into Stormlight. If something else does get written, it prolly wouldn't be a priority. *shrug*

Really wishing I'd recorded the reading now <_<

Or that I'd been active on here back in early February.

Edited by lyssie95

I like the idea of the shard of deception, which would make tons of sense if that was Hoid's shard because he is the liar of partenel as was said before, and also because of all of the disguises he uses, a beggar, another beggar and Wit and such.

Where does everyone get the idea that Hoid may be a Shard? Or a magic user of every single kind? Sure he lies. So do I. Everyday. After all, who else is going to laugh at my boss' jokes? Not the sane people, that's for sure. Deception isn't only constituted by 'lying', more to do with espionage and sneaking.

Where does everyone get the idea that Hoid may be a Shard? Or a magic user of every single kind? Sure he lies. So do I. Everyday. After all, who else is going to laugh at my boss' jokes? Not the sane people, that's for sure. Deception isn't only constituted by 'lying', more to do with espionage and sneaking.

In fact I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that he isn't a shard. I'd be dissapointed if he was anyway, I like thinking of him as more or less as strong as any of the other characters just quietly hopping and pulling strings, he doesn't need to be a Shard.

In fact I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that he isn't a shard. I'd be dissapointed if he was anyway, I like thinking of him as more or less as strong as any of the other characters just quietly hopping and pulling strings, he doesn't need to be a Shard.

It has been confirmed:

T.T.

5. Is Hoid a Herald, or a Shardholder, or something else entirely.

BRANDON SANDERSON (GOODREADS)

5. Hoid is something else entirely.

Source

And for anyone who's worried that this guy may be saying Shardholder and meaning Shardbearer he definitely means someone who holds a Shard. If you click on the link he refers to Sazed as a Shardholder, and Brandon explains why he doesn't like the term. So, I for one am glad Hoid isn't a Shard. It's nice to have the little guy kicking butt.

Plus, Shards seem not-quite-as-immortal as you would think.

I mean seriously! Out of the 7 9 shards we know of, (Pres, Ruin, Dominion, Devotion, Honor, Cultivation, Odium, Endowment, Bavadin's Shard), at least 5 of them have died!

EDIT- I need more sleep.....

Well, Honor said it was Odium who killed him. But since his messages to Dalinar were apparently prerecorded, maybe he just assumed that if anything killed him it'd be Odium. Though I can't see what else could kill him, except another Shard.

I mean seriously! Out of the 7 shards we know of, (Pres, Ruin, Dominion, Devotion, Honor, Cultivation, Odium, Endowment, Bavadin's Shard), at least 5 of them have died!
That's 5 out of 9, not 5 out of 7. Still more than half, though. Edited by Quantum Toast

• Chaos locked this topic