101 Lightweaving Tricks

Trusk'our

I had previously dismissed the power of Lightweaving, feeling that it was much weaker compared to Soulcasting. After starting this list, I've changed my mind; this is now one of my favorite Surges.

Anyone and everyone feel free to pitch in and get us to the full 101 trick :)

1. Conjure a box/block/blindfold over the head of an opponent in battle to blind them. They can’t pull it off but it will make them blind as any physical obstruction.

2. Conjure a small mouse/Cremling to scurry around and grab a guard’s attention so you can subtly sneak past.

3. Make an illusory wall to run past during a chase to evade enemies while making a double of yourself to continue running in your place. They’ll run right past your location and after the illusion instead.

4. Make an illusory double to confuse opponents in battle and to mislead others.

5. Make an illusory arm or pair of arms to make it look like your hand are where they should be instead of being up to no good (like pick pocketing someone).

6. Make six extra illusory arms with some added substance to let you wield eight knives at once. Nobody could possibly block all of them, and since they are also partially illusory they won’t necessarily require anatomical precision (they won’t get in each other’s way as easily).

7. Make an illusion of an item you swiped to help you get away with it.

8. Make visible patterns for sound waves for a concert. It will make the performance all the better.

9. Use a Lightweaving to make visible instructions for friends or students, making it easier to impart information.

10. Use a Lightweaving to make visual representations for phenomenon you can’t see, making them easier to track and measure.

11. Make a functional laser to slice enemies. Who needs a Shardblade when you can make a lightsaber?

12. Make an ear-splitting noise (like a Chasmfiend’s screaming head) to distract, deafen, and harm enemies.

13. Increase the volume of your voice to get other’s attention.

14. Change your apparel to look spiffy for a fancy dinner party when you really just want to wear pajamas.

15. Create a magnifying glass, telescope, or other mechanical device that works via manipulating light. Since it works my meddling with light, it would probably work just as well as a physical object.

16. Same as above but with a sound system, like a boom box.

17. Create a fully transparent glass window that has substance. It’s invisible, but will stop anyone dead in their tracks during a chase.

18. Make an attractive disguise to get others to listen to you better.

19. Same as above, but make yourself horrifying in appearance to remove attention from things you don’t want them looking at (as Shallan did with Kaladin in OB).

20. Make yourself appear as an eight-foot tall six-hundred-pound guy with tons of scars to intimidate opponents.

21. Same as above but add substance to really be able to hit as hard as you appear to be able.

22. Similar/same as above, but make a fake illusory body with substance overlapping your own to absorb blows that would otherwise hit you.

23. Make an illusory stack of cushions with substance to break your fall.

24. Make an actual illusory stack of cushions that an illusory double of you falls on to trick pursuers (and if they jump onto them hunting you, all the better).

25. Make a giant illusory spiderweb or net with substance to catch or trip up an enemy.

26. Use a lot of Lightweavings to make your house look presentable after you've "forgotten" to clean up before guests arrive. 

That's all I can come up with for now, but many, many more should be possible.

27. Lightweave the paintings in an art gallery, and change them slightly every couple of weeks. Regulars to the gallery will get so confused as to why the art never seems to be quite the same as when they last came, but they can't put their finger on why.

28.  Dig large pits or trenches with a shardblade on a battlefield then make them look like normal terrain.  This could make thunderclasts get stuck or fall on their faces.

29.  Create strobe lights to blind / disorient large numbers of opponents

(Also, I think it’s rather hard to add substance to lightweaving and that it requires a ton of stormlight.  I think the only reason Shallan could do it was that there was practically an unlimited amount of stormlight available to her)

Oh, what fun. Also, my friend, this is pure evil. You have my respect.

17 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

1. Conjure a box/block/blindfold over the head of an opponent in battle to blind them. They can’t pull it off but it will make them blind as any physical obstruction.

29. Perfectly mimicking a target's appearance to invoke some doppelgänger-esque horror. Bonus points if the disguise is ever so slightly off, for more Lovecraftian style.

30. Making a rope bridge look much more rickety than your pursuers think, buying you some time.

31. The inverse. Make your pursuer think there's a bridge over a chasm, but there isn't.

32. Trap your opponent in an auditory dead zone. (This one I'm less sure is possible, as it depends in Lightweaving can only generate waveforms or manipulate existing ones.)

33. Make a hemlock berry look like an innocent blueberry. Then leave in the general vicinity of an opponent.

34. Create an illusion of food/water/shelter/allies/something valuable that the pursuer can just see, but never reach. (Again, less sure of this one.)

35. Conjure a horde of Lightweaved (Lightwoven?) enemies that you then dispatch with supernatural ease, to make yourself look very powerful.

31 minutes ago, Longshot97 said:

Oh, what fun. Also, my friend, this is pure evil. You have my respect.

I mean, come now, I am a Hemalurgic enthusiast after all. What did you expect :lol:

32 minutes ago, Longshot97 said:

32. Trap your opponent in an auditory dead zone. (This one I'm less sure is possible, as it depends in Lightweaving can only generate waveforms or manipulate existing ones.)

Difficult to do, I'd think, but theoretically you could negate certain sounds by using destructive interference.

That gives me another idea;

36. Use a Lightweaving to create an Anti-Tone to drive away Odium's minions. Better yet, make a super loud Anti-Tone Lightweaving or have hundreds of them working at once.

35 minutes ago, Longshot97 said:

35. Conjure a horde of Lightweaved (Lightwoven?) enemies that you then dispatch with supernatural ease, to make yourself look very powerful.

I like this one as well. Very useful in the right circumstances.

4 hours ago, Ookla the Ookla said:

27. Lightweave the paintings in an art gallery, and change them slightly every couple of weeks. Regulars to the gallery will get so confused as to why the art never seems to be quite the same as when they last came, but they can't put their finger on why.

This seems a lot like some kind of trick Wit would play on some Lighteyes. . .

3 hours ago, Marabout said:

(Also, I think it’s rather hard to add substance to lightweaving and that it requires a ton of stormlight.  I think the only reason Shallan could do it was that there was practically an unlimited amount of stormlight available to her)

Probably true, but still, it is theoretically possible to do with practice and enough Stormlight.

5 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

36. Use a Lightweaving to create an Anti-Tone to drive away Odium's minions. Better yet, make a super loud Anti-Tone Lightweaving or have hundreds of them working at once.

Oh, I like that. Say, what happens when a Surgebinder uses Lightweaving to generate the Anti-Tone to Stormlight? Does the construct self-destruct?

36. Laser eyes. Need I say more?

37. X-ray vision, but with a twist. Instant irradiation, and a subsequent slow and painful death.

38. Blink a light and sound alarms that mean something has gone horribly wrong, when in fact everything is fine.

39. Oppress the real occurrence of the previous item.

40. Use a spren to map and then examine a microscopic computer component; i.e. visually checking for shorts in an integrated circuit.

41. Play a theme song for yourself in various moods. Who says your life isn't a movie?

42. Instantaneous projector from a small screen and speaker. No need for a movie theater. It's even REAL 3D!!!

43. Insta-microwave.

44. EMP.

45. Smoke and sound grenades, with or without physical requirements. Cheapest gemstones could power it with a lightweaving set to release on a trigger of some kind.

46. Embedded spy creating artificial success/findings in an enemy research core.

47. Dead men walking. Or Ironeyes. Or Thaidakar. Or Hoid. any of them would be quite distracting.

48. Sonar scanning, like ultrasound? Maybe capable of detecting Kandra or Hemalurgists?

49. Signal flares.

50. Fake campfires for ambush decoys.

51. The pulled-the-chair-out-from-under-you trick. Except without a chair.

52. Whoopie-cushion tricks. Without woopie cushions.

53. Making someone look like they wet themselves in a very embarrassing situation.

54. As a spy: making it look like someone else is a spy/making your target look like an enemy so someone else kills them for you, with the convenient benefit of potentially faking the person the illusion was of's death.

55. Confetti that doesn't make a mess.

56. Firecrackers and Fireworks that don't make any mess and don't cause forest fires.

57. Wilderness survival: hiding from wild animals via some of the tactics above, though ones that don't rely on sight to find you might be harder. Dogs are pretty smart. but loud noises are scary, so probably decently effective.

Enhancement of earlier idea: sound magnification with no delay and excellent clarity, like better speakers at stadiums of various types.

58. Do the work for your math problems without taking up any room on the page. Don't know how mell it would work, but it might. Similarly, write on invisible and fake walls, desks, etc.

59. Radiant Heads-Up-Displays.

60. HUD rear-view mirror, so you can always see behind you and it doesn't have to be out away from your face or from center view very far.

I have a truthwatcher artifabrian RP character, he mostly uses lightweaving to

63. create illusions of complex machines, basically the best 3D modeling software ever

64. same as above, but using the illusion as a guide to place each component in the exact right spot