Theory/Prediction for the end of SA

CuratorOTL

This theory started out when I was rereading tWoK, and an epitaph stood out to me. It read:

"He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!"

- Dated Vevahach, 1173, 8 seconds predeath. Subject: a prostitute. Background unknown.

What stands out to me here is the clear allusion to the Kholin family crest: two glyphs in the shape of a tower and a crown. But then there's the odd duck: the spear. Why is the spear being grouped with the Kholin Crest? I think that this is the prediction that Kaladin is going to have to take up the mantle of the Kholin house.

This got me to thinking: why would Kal have to do this? The obvious answer would be that all the Kholins die. And I think that's part of it. Navani, Renarin and Adolin I believe are going to die. This makes Dalinar believe he is the perfect candidate to be a Herald: used to war, already set up to take up Ishar's mantle, and now completely numb through heartbreak. I think Brandon's already been hinting that Dalinar is going to become a Herald, along with several other characters(Szeth for instance), and this would give him the perfect opportunity to do so. Shallan, now completely heartbroken over Adolin's death, refuses to take up the Kholin mantle, and Jasnah is already the queen. It would be possible for her to do it, but it doesn't seem in character for her to do it to me. So who's next in line? 

Kaladin. The former head of the Cobalt Guard, and the man who Dalinar trusted more than anyone. Also the most experienced Windrunner on Roshar at this point. 

So that's my prediction/theory. I don't know if anyone has caught this, or if Brandon has said it won't happen. Let me know your thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, CuratorOTL said:

This theory started out when I was rereading tWoK, and an epitaph stood out to me. It read:

- Dated Vevahach, 1173, 8 seconds predeath. Subject: a prostitute. Background unknown.

What stands out to me here is the clear allusion to the Kholin family crest: two glyphs in the shape of a tower and a crown. But then there's the odd duck: the spear. Why is the spear being grouped with the Kholin Crest? I think that this is the prediction that Kaladin is going to have to take up the mantle of the Kholin house.

This got me to thinking: why would Kal have to do this? The obvious answer would be that all the Kholins die. And I think that's part of it. Navani, Renarin and Adolin I believe are going to die. This makes Dalinar believe he is the perfect candidate to be a Herald: used to war, already set up to take up Ishar's mantle, and now completely numb through heartbreak. I think Brandon's already been hinting that Dalinar is going to become a Herald, along with several other characters(Szeth for instance), and this would give him the perfect opportunity to do so. Shallan, now completely heartbroken over Adolin's death, refuses to take up the Kholin mantle, and Jasnah is already the queen. It would be possible for her to do it, but it doesn't seem in character for her to do it to me. So who's next in line? 

Kaladin. The former head of the Cobalt Guard, and the man who Dalinar trusted more than anyone. Also the most experienced Windrunner on Roshar at this point. 

So that's my prediction/theory. I don't know if anyone has caught this, or if Brandon has said it won't happen. Let me know your thoughts. 

Why wouldn’t Kaladin become a herald? That seems pretty likely in this situation.

35 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Why wouldn’t Kaladin become a herald? That seems pretty likely in this situation.

That would also be a good prediction, although Brandon might pull a sneaky one on us. This particular Death Rattle seems a pretty strong sign, though.

Also, it just struck me that Moash could have a redemption arc and become the Herald of the Windrunners rather than Kal. Not that I would support it, of course, but it's not out of the question.

Edited by CuratorOTL
Added something

14 hours ago, CuratorOTL said:

I interpret this Death Rattle more literally, like literally the Tower, the title of the king of the Tower and his spear - Kaladin metaphorically left his spear at the end of RoW, he would have to pick it up to fight as the king of Urithiru to replace possibly dead Dalinar. 

But your interpretation with connections to Kholin's crest is also a likely one. I'm not so sold on by the idea that everyone becomes a Herald - Szeth would be the worst person to become a Herald, because his mind is already broken, Kaladin too in my opinion, he suffered too much already and is on the verge of breaking.

And why would they become Heralds? The Oathpact can't help them seal Fused away on Braize, it's pointless to do what was done previously and failed. New Heralds and new Oathpact won't help this time. 

Jasnah being a queen of Alethkar doesn't exclude her from being the head of the Kholin family.

But Kaladin becoming Kholin family head is possible - he is related to them through Aesudan:

Spoiler

Stormlightning

Is Kaladin related to Aesudan?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's not a close relation. A very complex system of things, but yes.

Stormlightning

I was just wondering why he knew her...the melody she was humming.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, he did. That is not because they're related.

Stormlightning

So it's something else?

Brandon Sanderson

It's something else. I thought that was a sideways question about Kaladin's mom.

Stormlightning

It kinda was, I thought maybe she hummed that and so that's why he recognized it.

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

18 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I interpret this Death Rattle more literally, like literally the Tower, the title of the king of the Tower and his spear - Kaladin metaphorically left his spear at the end of RoW, he would have to pick it up to fight as the king of Urithiru to replace possibly dead Dalinar. 

But your interpretation with connections to Kholin's crest is also a likely one. I'm not so sold on by the idea that everyone becomes a Herald - Szeth would be the worst person to become a Herald, because his mind is already broken, Kaladin too in my opinion, he suffered too much already and is on the verge of breaking.

And why would they become Heralds? The Oathpact can't help them seal Fused away on Braize, it's pointless to do what was done previously and failed. New Heralds and new Oathpact won't help this time. 

Jasnah being a queen of Alethkar doesn't exclude her from being the head of the Kholin family.

But Kaladin becoming Kholin family head is possible - he is related to them through Aesudan:

Hide contents

Stormlightning

Is Kaladin related to Aesudan?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's not a close relation. A very complex system of things, but yes.

Stormlightning

I was just wondering why he knew her...the melody she was humming.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, he did. That is not because they're related.

Stormlightning

So it's something else?

Brandon Sanderson

It's something else. I thought that was a sideways question about Kaladin's mom.

Stormlightning

It kinda was, I thought maybe she hummed that and so that's why he recognized it.

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

I forgot that Kal was related to royalty.

Anything you said could be possible, of course. I just feel like Dalinar is going to try to reforge the Oathpact, as it's already stated that's what he's trying to do in RoW. Maybe it'll be different this. It probably will be, if he does. It's all just speculation, though. Hopefully we'll find out in SA5