Shardblade Stances

BreathTaker

So, I'm working on making a Shardblade for a costume and while I was on the Coppermind wiki I realized that there were only seven stances. Are there any ideas on what those might be? 

I only need Windstance honestly because I'm planning on being a Windrunner but now I'm curious. Any ideas?

It only gave 7 examples is what I meant. Most are pretty obvious what order usually used which such as Wind, Stone, Vine and Flame stances. But Iron Stance and Smoke stance, I have no idea. Smoke may be Elsecallers (actually now that I read the

Blade forward, pointed at the heart of their opponent
reminds me of WOR spoiler.

Jasnah pointed the blade at Hoid's heart when she elsecalls

I digress. What could the last three unnamed stances be and what order do the Smoke and Iron stances represent?

It only gave 7 examples is what I meant. Most are pretty obvious what order usually used which such as Wind, Stone, Vine and Flame stances. But Iron Stance and Smoke stance, I have no idea. Smoke may be Elsecallers (actually now that I read the

reminds me of WOR spoiler.

Jasnah pointed the blade at Hoid's heart when she elsecalls

I digress. What could the last three unnamed stances be and what order do the Smoke and Iron stances represent?

There are only 6 examples given because we only know the names of six of the stances.  Since each stance is named for an Essence, and each Essence is philosophically connected to an order it could be argued the relations are thus:

Windrunners

windstance

Zephyr (translucent gas, air)

Skybreakers

smokestance

Vapor (opaque gas, smoke, fog)

Dustbringers

flamestance

Spark (fire)

Edgedancers

unknown

Lucentia (quartz, glass, crystal)

Truthwatchers

vinestance

Pulp (wood, plants, moss)

Lightweavers

unknown

Blood (blood, all non-oil liquid)

Elsecallers

unknown

Tallow (all oils)

Willshapers

ironstance

Foil (metal)

Stonewards

stonestance

Talus (rock and stone)

Bondsmiths

unknown

Sinew (meat, flesh)

HOWEVER, it is important to remember the stances are a modern thing.  We do not know if they were used by the Knights Radiant, in fact given the Starfalls vision, it is unlikely they did.  Dalinar uses smokestance, and neither Radiant recognizes it as "Oh you fight like a Skybreaker" if I remember correctly the Windrunner remarks that he has never seen someone fight like Dalinar did.  So it is most likely the formal stances were not in practice back then.  Therefore any associations are probably mostly philosophical.

Edit: as for the names of the missing stances, there are a lot of possibilities.  Each will likely be related to the Essence/soulcasting attribute.

Edgedancers/Lucentia:  crystalstance, glassstance, lightstance

Lightweavers/Blood: bloodstance

Elsecallers/Tallow: oilstance

Bondsmiths/Sinew:  meatstance, fleshstance (both kind of gross/disturbing)

Edited by WeiryWriter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic